Nervous Boyfiend

Old January 24th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Nervous Boyfiend

I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house is
probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it slung
around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to send him
running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I talk
on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.
Tweed

Old January 24th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house is
probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it slung
around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to send him
running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I talk
on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.

Whereas when I talk on the phone, my cats seem convinced that I'm talking
to *them*.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old January 24th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

barbi is disturbed by any noise that doesn't concern opening the food box,
ours or theirs... phone, doorbell, horn from a car outside, she really is a
jumpy cat, Lee

Old January 25th 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house
is probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it
slung around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to
send him running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I
talk on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.
Tweed

I can't speak for Boyfriend but Persia hates the sound of a ringing
doorbell. Oh no! Someone's here! I have to hide! Silly cat.

There are some television commercials with doorbells that sound like mine.
I have to assure her "It's on TV". G

Jill

Old January 25th 12, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house
is probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it
slung around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to
send him running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I
talk on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.
Tweed

I can't speak for Boyfriend but Persia hates the sound of a ringing
doorbell. Oh no! Someone's here! I have to hide!

Silly cat.

Is it silly? How do you know why she does it?
Tweed

Old January 25th 12, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house
is probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it
slung around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to
send him running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I
talk on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.
Tweed

I can't speak for Boyfriend but Persia hates the sound of a ringing
doorbell. Oh no! Someone's here! I have to hide!

Silly cat.

Is it silly? How do you know why she does it?
Tweed

You are correct, of course. She just doesn't like strangers. I don't get
many visitors. It's usually the UPS guy delivering a package.

Jill

Old January 25th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:47:29 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I don't know if he will ever be a calm sort of cat, but my kind of house is
probably best, just me and quiet.
If the doorbell rings he rushes to the back door to escape.
However recently he was on my knee when my cell phone rang (I have it slung
around my waist since I keep breaking myself) and it was enough to send him
running.
Now he runs away if my home phone rings. I can only think that when I talk
on the phone he thinks there is another person in the house.

I have two cats that run in opposite directions when the doorbell rings.
Buster runs away from the door, and Dot runs towards the door. She loves
visitors. Buster takes about 10 minutes to warm up to visitors.

They don't react to the cell phone though. Maybe it's because there are so
many ringtones that it's not very recognizable to them.
Old January 26th 12, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I think therein lies the problem for both of us. My visitors have declined
as my friends have almost all passed away, so the house is very quiet and
Boyfie has always been timid. As my s-i-l Claire has been instrumental in
getting him into his carrier to go for his Important Injections So He
Doesn't Get Sick, she is on his "run for the hills" list, even though she
fed him for a few days when we weren't too sure if back-up man from over the
road was coming when I was incapicitated.
June has looked after him lots of times and this time for several weeks but
when that period is over, she is on his "retire upstairs to my duvet when
she comes" list.
I don't know why, she is really kind and gentle.
The only person he likes is Simon, who is equally kind and gentle, who has
never fed him and once shock, horror applied Stronghold to Boyfie's neck
while I held him down and parted his fur. He will even come into the room
when Simon visits and once only, very nearly, almost..he was going to go
right up to him and let him pet him but he decided it was maybe a tad too
risky.
Simon is a counsellor, for county council employees who need it - and OMG
did I ever and there any many still there who need someone to talk to for
whatever reason.
He is completely independent from the employer, so they don't pay him but as
he said to me recently "they think they can treat their workers like sh*t
as long as they refer them to me to try to help the mental health issues
they've caused afterwards.."
Anyway, Boyfie loves him and I do - he has a tabby cat of his own for years
and chickens recently!
I was offered a female counsellor - which I thought I might prefer but then
she was not available, so I agreed to have Simon as what I thought would be
a poor substitute. I have never regretted it.
He was the first at my bedside in hospital when I broke my ankle badly
recently, even before my family could bother themselves to come, and I will
never forget when he cried at the side of my bed in 2005 when he had
insisted I go to hospital and we then found out I had ovarian cancer.
He turned away to weep, but I saw.
We are chicken friends now, when things are good, he visits and we talk
about our birds, the gossip in the county council, and recipes. However
when things are bad, he is back to a counsellor.
Perfect.
Tweed

Old January 26th 12, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

I have mine slung around my waist and whatever the ringtone, if he is
snoozing on my lap, imagine it..
Tweed

Old January 26th 12, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 26, 1:59*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
[...]

I am so glad to hear you have a such nice counsellor and friend.
Sometimes it can be hard to find somebody nice to talk to.
Take care. -- Winnie