Gentle, Docile, Calm Breed (s)?

Old December 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Slimpickins

Hi there,

I do appreciate your good, common sense advice. I know what you said is true
And yes, I will wait until the time is right. Some/ many(?) people are able
to love a cat 'as is', and completely accept it as special and unique in
it's own way. Not me. And I imagine that I'll get some flames for being very
truthful. I am* working on it, and certainly getting good practice and
total exercise on my patience and tolerance levels. I'm just not good, at
all, with hard and difficult to train animals, and I honestly know that I
just 'lucked out' with Blue. Good thing I don't have kids.

Blue wasn't common, your average, 'run of the mill' cat. I have another
cat, 'Jessie', almost 12 months old now, that I got as a kitten. 'Jessie',
is very sweet, but is the complete polar-opposite of Blue. He's black and
white, short hair, and is constantly on the go, moving, moving, moving.
Thank God he has* settled down a small bit, but his personality is verrry
hyper. He is wired that way. 'Jessie' has to be told 100 times "No" for
every one or two times that I would have to say No to Blue. Blue was very
easy to train, wanted to please, as a kitten, he 'got-it' almost right away
when something was 'off limits'.

I know that I personally do much, much, better with an easy to train cat or
kitten, and in my experience there just are that many out there.

ML--
--
The noble love of Jesus impels a man to do great things, and stirs him up to
be always longing for what is more perfect.

wrote in message
oups.com...
With all due respect, I really don't believe that you're stuck on a
"breed". What you're stuck on is the characteristics of a particular
cat that you loved dearly. They're all individuals. Rather than trying
to replace the cat that died with a facsimile, why don't you wait a
while, let yourself grieve sufficiently and then go to a shelter and
fall in love all over agin with a cat who delights you with their own
individual self. Don't you think a cat deserves better than to be an
inferior version of the "absolute very best"? I agree. You need time.
Eventually you'll be able to see the new cat for the unique creature
he/she is and that's when it's time to adopt another cat. Condolences
on your loss.

Old December 10th 04, 08:37 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, -L. penned:
First, sorry for the loss of your kitty - it's always heart breaking.
Secondly, I have had the best luck with black cats - many are part Siamese,
and I have yet to meet a big black male that isn't a pure lovebug. That
being said, you couldn't pay me enough to buy a purebred Siamese - way too
many genetic defects.

Eros, black male, is incredibly huggy and social.

But then, I knew a black male in high school who was adorable -- and hated it.
He wanted to be left alone. He did have grass allergies, so that may have
impacted his mood quite a bit.

My advice would be to go to the shelter and pick out a Siamese-wannabe or
another sweet kitten that will allow you to hold him in your arms like a
baby and stroke his tummy. I have used this method for selecting kittens
for years, and have never been disappointed. best of luck,

That sounds like good advice.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!