More blame the cat...

Old February 11th 05, 06:26 AM
-L.

KellyH wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the

graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm guessing

the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

ITA - notice her daughter is 17. I doubt 17 years ago that people were
as aware as we are now. What gets me are the people who eat steak
tartare, carpaccio, etc. Nothin' like asking for a dose of parasites.

-L.

Old February 11th 05, 06:34 AM
-L.

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
KellyH wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the

graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm

guessing the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

The headline actually said:

"Prenatal testing urged for 'cat box' infection"

With the next line being:

"Toxoplasmosis can cause blindness, brain damage in newborns"

And yes, it might "get to you" if you are not careful. Note I said

*might*.

In the article there's a Q&A box at the bottom. The last question is

"Can I
keep my cat?" and the Answer box has some very good guidelines that

probably
seem very obvious to most people. But nowhere does it blame the cat

or say
anything to cause panic. I know plenty of pregnant women who had

cats and
nothing happened to any of them, including a single mother who didn't

have
anyone to clean the cat box for her.

--
Liz

The point is, half of the reported cases of tox are food-borne, *not*
transmitted from cats. Being that another percentage are congenital,
cats contribute to less than half of the cases; it would be more
accurate to label it a "food-borne" illness. It is the third most
common cause of food-borne illness resulting in death.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr4902a5.htm

-L.