Cat vomits all the time

Old August 29th 04, 06:32 PM
Andrew

Default Cat vomits all the time

My mom has a cat who vomits more than seems normal, and she asked me
to post here for advice. She's been through two vets and every idea
they both recommended, without any improvement.

Every week, she has a couple of days that she'll vomit three to four
times during that day. She vomits undigested food; it's not hairballs.
They adopted this cat about two years ago from a pet rescue place,
when she was about 10 years old (the people they got her from weren't
sure of her exact age). So she's about 12 now. She has had this
problem as long as they've had her (she did it the first day they had
her).

My mom says that they've tried "every kind of food" (at least 10
kinds, including prescription food from the vet and other kinds the
vets recommended). One vet said that it could be due to a stomach
inflamation problem, and said a cortizone shot would help. He said
that the shot should work for about three months, but less than a week
after she got it, she had another full day of vomiting. So that didn't
seem to do much. One vet said, "well, some cats are just pukers."

Does anyone have other recommendations? I'm sure she'd be willing to
try other kinds of food, but she think that she's tried just about
every kind on the shelf...

Thanks.
Old August 29th 04, 07:07 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Andrew at
wrote on 8/29/04 12:32 PM:

[...]

Unfortuneately, it does seem like some cats are just pukers. We had one when
I was growing up. Oddly, it seemed to help if we cooked up some calves liver
for her and kept them at bay for some time, but that could also be
coincidental. Sounds like they have thoroughly researched it. I recommend
the Bissell upright powercleaner. I use my a lot and really like it.

Old August 29th 04, 07:34 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav",
(Andrew) artfully composed this message
within . com on
29 Aug 2004:

[...]

My Shadow used to vomit undigested food for years before he got
really sick. Vomitted dry food. Turned out he had IBD but from
things I've found out since then, it was definitely an intolerance
to the food. Has your mom tried changing the diet to all canned
food, and no dry at all? As for stomach inflammation, did they try
oral steroids rather than shots? "... some cats are just pukers"
doesn't really make sense to me now after going through what I did
with Shadow. Once diagnosed with IBD, and being on the steroids, he
didn't puke at all, though he had severe diarrhea for the last year
and a half of his life. I think that was because the IBD had gone
on too long before being diagnosed.

Other than that, undigested food could be either eating too fast or
an obstruction of some sort.

--
Cheryl