SoftPaws

Old December 19th 04, 06:48 PM
123456789

Default SoftPaws

Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?
Old December 19th 04, 07:53 PM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:48:05 +0000, 123456789 wrote:

Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?

This is the third set we have used. The first set stayed on nearly
three months. The second about 2 months and this set has been on about
7 weeks
as of yesterday. My cat doesn't seem to be bothered at all by this set.
She did try to bite off some of the first two sets. I feel they are a
good item.
Old December 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Angela St.Aubin

"123456789" wrote in message news:F1kxd.1425$fe5.115@trndny06...
Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?

What are they?

Old December 19th 04, 11:16 PM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:41:10 -0500, Angela St.Aubin wrote:

"123456789" wrote in message news:F1kxd.1425$fe5.115@trndny06...
Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?

What are they?

Little soft plastic nail covers. They help prevent serious scratching.
MLB
Old December 20th 04, 05:52 AM
-L.

123456789 wrote:
Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?

Here's a review of SoftPaws which I wrote awhile back. If you keep
your kitties' nails trimmed short, SoftPaws may not be necessary...but
here it goes:

(paste)

SoftPaws

Some people were asking about SoftPaws. I work at a vet, and apply
these things every day, to all kinds of cats. Here is my take:

after trimming, with a super-glue-like substance. They are used to
keep the kitty from scratching things that may be damaged by unaltered
nails.

****************

Pros:
They are really, really easy to apply if kitty cooperates, and will
let you trim her nails easily. They take about 5-8 minutes to apply,
once you get the hang of it.

They are relatively inexpensive (about $10-12/set, if applied at the
vet, and they last 1-3 months.) They are even less expensive if you
buy your own kit and apply them at home.

They do not interfere with normal claw usage, but protect things you
do not want scratched, fairly effectively.

Some cats do very, very well with them.

****************

Cons:

Some cats *detest* them, and will fight you tooth and nail (excuse the
pun) when you try to apply them.

Some cats pull them off easily.

The glue is very sticky, and will stick to and damage any surface it
encounters (including human skin).

If the glue touches any skin while wet (human or cat), it burns. It
is fairly
caustic.

Some cats are allergic to the glue.

If the nail is trimmed too short, the glue can damage the nail bed,
which results in a crusty/ill formed nail, when the nail grows out.
They work best of the nail is trimmed fairly short, and if the glue is
applied in the inner 2/3 of the cap, before application.

The caps need to be fitted properly. Many technicians tend to use
caps that are too large, and then the cat is constantly fighting with
the caps, as they "feel" awkward. One cat may need more than one size
of caps to accomodate all nails on the foot (e.g. mediums on all nails
except 'pinky", which needs a small).

The caps need to be applied quickly after the glue is applied...the
glue dries very quickly. This can be tricky for beginners.

****************

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks) is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for every
cat.

(end of paste)

Best wishes to you and your kitties!

-L.

Old December 20th 04, 09:36 AM
Linda Terrell

In article .com,
"-L." wrote:

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks) is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for every
cat.

(end of paste)

Best wishes to you and your kitties!

-L.

They are no good to someone who owns 6 cats.

LT
Old December 20th 04, 02:15 PM
dragon

Not better than trimming your cat's claws, that's for sure!

dragon

Old December 20th 04, 04:27 PM
-L.

Linda Terrell wrote:
In article .com,
"-L." wrote:

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks)

is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for

every
cat.

(end of paste)

Best wishes to you and your kitties!

-L.

They are no good to someone who owns 6 cats.

LT

Well, if someone owns 6 vcats, scratching shouldn't be an issue.

-L.

Old December 20th 04, 05:39 PM
Linda Terrell

In article . com,
"-L." wrote:

Linda Terrell wrote:
In article .com,
"-L." wrote:

Overall impression: I think trimming nails often (every 1-2 weeks)

is
a better, more wholistic solution to scratching problems, than
SoftPaws. If you are unable to do this, SoftPaws may be a solution
for you. Overall, it is a good product, but may not be good for

every
cat.

(end of paste)

Best wishes to you and your kitties!

-L.

They are no good to someone who owns 6 cats.

LT

Well, if someone owns 6 vcats, scratching shouldn't be an issue.

-L.

Yeah, lotsa scratching posts around.

LT
Old December 21st 04, 12:10 AM
Laila

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:16:35 +0000, mlbriggs
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:41:10 -0500, Angela St.Aubin wrote:

"123456789" wrote in message news:F1kxd.1425$fe5.115@trndny06...
Anyone ever use Soft Paws?

How are they? Any horror stories?

What are they?

Little soft plastic nail covers. They help prevent serious scratching.
MLB

could they come off when the cat cleans her paws? they extend their
claws and stetch out their "fingers" and clean them very dilligently.
could they swallow the covers?

-L