Calming for Clipping

Old January 14th 05, 03:33 AM
Enid

All very good advice. Snowflake has always hated this, and I am not a
novice as I have had cats for years and years.

She uses all the scratching posts I have for her; however, Lapkitty who
is declawed (I will never declaw again although he is fine - just won't
do it anymore) likes to use the scratching posts as well.

Unfortunately, Snowflake has "sliced and diced" my new sofa (I am very
unhappy about that). Even the "sticky paws" strips did not deter her.
Oh well.

Regards,

Enid

Old January 15th 05, 11:43 AM
Wendy

"raenee" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't really need help with this for my cat, but for a friends cat.
She lets her cat's claws grow out really long and avoids clipping them
because "it's too much hassle". I've seen her try to clip her cat's
claws. She takes a towel and wraps the cut up like a soft taco with the
paws sticking out. Naturally, the cat hates it and because it hates
being taco'd, it hates clipping in general.

What I do with my cat is wait until she's asleep... She pretty much
turns into a ragdoll. But my friends cat, even when it's sleeping,
wakes up when I start on her claws. I'm sure I'm not clipping too
close- If anything, I'm leaving a bit much from the fear of clipping
too close.

Sooo.... I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on calming the
cat and on keeping it calm throughout the entire claw-cutting
experience.... Many thanks

Tell your friend to play with her cat's paws when she's petting him/her.
This will get the cat used to having the paws touched and played with and
might help the cat feel less threatened when it comes time to clip. Others
have given excellent suggestions for the actual clipping.