Hundreds Attend Meetings Across Wisconsin to Discuss the Possibility of Hunting Wild Cats

Old April 14th 05, 09:27 PM
kaeli

In article . com, rodrig462
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...

*PLONK*

Google supports killfiles now?
Cool.

~kaeli~
Acupuncture is a jab well done.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 14th 05, 09:50 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article . com,

rodrig462
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...

*PLONK*

Google supports killfiles now?
Cool.

--

OMG! How funny! I have *got* to start reading headers!!

Old April 14th 05, 11:37 PM

kaeli wrote:
In article . com,

rodrig462
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...

*PLONK*

Google supports killfiles now?
Cool.

Sarcasm? Your experience may be limited to life on the Microsoft
plantation.

rsquared

Old April 15th 05, 12:49 AM

Mary wrote:
"Klaus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary wrote:

You don't have cats, do you, asshole?

Oh, lovely! What are you doing here? Isn't Jerry Springer on?

*PLONK*

rsquared

I thought you already killfiled me. lol

You're right, Mary. I'm weak.

I can't resist the urge to peek during a tacky barb-swapping session.
It takes me back to junior high school. I'm not proud of it.

Unfortunately (for me), I am finding you're better at it than I am. I
can be vain and petty, but I can't bring it to the surface as quickly
or copiously as you can.

I hope you're more open minded toward people who challenge your beliefs
in person. Otherwise, it would be a disservice to the values that seem
so dear to you.

TTFN,

rsquared

Old April 15th 05, 12:57 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
"Klaus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary wrote:

You don't have cats, do you, asshole?

Oh, lovely! What are you doing here? Isn't Jerry Springer on?

*PLONK*

rsquared

I thought you already killfiled me. lol

You're right, Mary. I'm weak.

I can't resist the urge to peek during a tacky barb-swapping session.
It takes me back to junior high school. I'm not proud of it.

Unfortunately (for me), I am finding you're better at it than I am. I
can be vain and petty, but I can't bring it to the surface as quickly
or copiously as you can.

I hope you're more open minded toward people who challenge your beliefs
in person. Otherwise, it would be a disservice to the values that seem
so dear to you.

TTFN,

rsquared

Okay. Now then, dummy, why did you do the PLONK sound effect when
you are posting through Google?

Old April 15th 05, 12:59 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

kaeli wrote:
In article . com,

rodrig462
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...

*PLONK*

Google supports killfiles now?
Cool.

Sarcasm? Your experience may be limited to life on the Microsoft
plantation.

Do explain.

Old April 15th 05, 05:11 PM
yngver

Steve G wrote:
Phil P. wrote:
(...)

I never understood the hunter's mentality. If they want a

challenge, join
the Army or better yet - the gung ho Marines - oh wait - that's too
dangerous because the prey shoots back....

Well, the Marines don't get to eat their prey.

Well, maybe hunters eat the mourning doves they kill but I have a
suspicion not too many plan to eat feral cats.
-Yngver

Old April 15th 05, 05:22 PM
yngver

yngver wrote:

This is really not about saving birds--this proposal passed because
there are a lot of cat-haters out there, apparently dying for a

chance
to shoot them legally. Because obviously there are far more humane

ways
to deal with feral cat populations. In addition, exactly where are
these feral cats that hunters will be gunning for located? Out in

the
country side, I don't see a lot of feral cats. You see the

occasional
farm cat roaming, but they are owned. Aren't most feral populations

in
cities and suburbs, where firing weapons is or ought to be illegal?
Urban areas in Wisconsin voted strongly against the proposal. So is

it
basically hunting afficionados who want to kill barn cats?

-Yngver

I have noticed the same thing. In my experience, the problem is in
developed areas where cats (racoons, possums, armadillos) are living
off the fat of human waste. Where there are rats, there will be

cats.

It's a stretch, but the only path I can see may be as a way to
streamline the extermination process for professional pest control
businesses. Under existing laws, they can probably kill rats, but

have
to capture cats. It may have little or nothing to do with the people
we think of as "hunters".

Well, the proposal originated with a hunter who was upset at seeing cat
tracks near his bird feeder. Of course, that doesn't mean it was a
feral cat, but that's their assumption.

I do not hunt, but I hike often. I can't recall ever seeing a cat

that
was deep in the woods, and I have stumbled into many equally

shy/timid
creatures.

Agreed. I do a lot of hiking in Wisconsin woods too. Never came across
a feral cat. As Phil has pointed out, cats are opportunistic feeders.
They go where there are easy pickings.

In defense of hunters, most states require some amount of safety
training and education before licensing them to go out and shoot.

The
same should be required before someone can purchase a domestic

animal.
It may address the shock of responsibility and cycle of abandonment &
neglect.

In Wisconsin, it is illegal to fire a rifle within so many feet of
road. Apparently, enough people had the bad judgement to try this

and
they had to make a law.

rsquared

I recall a case in which a hunter fired at a woman walking her dog
along a road. Said he thought the dog was a deer. If a dog looks like a
deer, imagine how many creatures can be mistaken for a feral cat, and
thus okay to shoot at.
-Yngver