Wisconsin governor against cat hunting

Old April 13th 05, 07:34 PM
bookbug2005

Default Wisconsin governor against cat hunting

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20050413/D89ELN100.html

Wis. Governor Rejects Cat-Hunting Idea

Apr 13, 1:48 PM (ET)

BY RYAN J. FOLEY

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats
is not going to succeed, Gov. Jim Doyle said Wednesday.

"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot
cats," said Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat. "What
it does is sort of hold us up as a state that everybody is kind of
laughing at right now."

He told reporters his office had received calls from around the country
denouncing a proposal adopted Monday at meetings of the Wisconsin
Conservation Congress, a public advisory group, that would classify
wild, free-roaming cats as an unprotected species that kills song birds
and other wildlife.

Outdoor enthusiasts approved the proposal 6,830 to 5,201 at Monday's
spring hearings of the group.

The results get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board for
consideration, but any official action would have to be passed by the
Legislature and signed by the governor.

Animal rights groups belittled the idea as inhumane and dangerous.

Doyle said he respects the Conservation Congress but "on this one I
think everybody recognizes it's not going anywhere."

Some experts estimate that 2 million wild cats roam Wisconsin, and the
state says studies show feral cats kill 47 million to 139 million
songbirds a year.

South Dakota and Minnesota both allow wild cats to be shot.

Two state senators - Scott Fitzgerald and Neil Kedzie - had promised to
do everything they can to keep the plan from becoming law.

Kedzie, who chairs the Natural Resources and Transportation Committee,
called the issue "a distraction from the main tasks we have at hand."

---

Old April 13th 05, 08:18 PM
Karen

"bookbug2005" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20050413/D89ELN100.html

Wis. Governor Rejects Cat-Hunting Idea

Apr 13, 1:48 PM (ET)

BY RYAN J. FOLEY

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats
is not going to succeed, Gov. Jim Doyle said Wednesday.

"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot
cats," said Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat. "What
it does is sort of hold us up as a state that everybody is kind of
laughing at right now."

Good for him.

[...]

I'm from S.D. and I do have to say, people don't go around shooting cats
(that I ever noticed and we had indoor outdoor cats at the time in town; I
don't know about the country), so...but it's true if South Dakota does it,
you probably don't want to model yourself after it. SD is, well, just about
the "anti-model" as far as anything is concerned.