Ex-Wal-Mart Worker Charged With Felony in Cat's Death

Old May 16th 05, 05:25 PM
Andrew

Default Ex-Wal-Mart Worker Charged With Felony in Cat's Death

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter...tory?id=761107

Ex-Wal-Mart Worker Charged in Cat's Death

Former Wal-Mart Employee in Indiana Accused of Shooting Cat to Death
Charged With Felony

The Associated Press

May. 16, 2005 - A former Wal-Mart employee accused of shooting a cat
to death will face felony charges after all.

The animal cruelty charge against Christopher S. Anderson had been
dropped to a misdemeanor, but Anderson's attorney, Michael C. Keating,
said Friday that a Vanderburgh County judge had dismissed that charge.

Keating said the judge ruled Anderson could not be charged with a
misdemeanor unless he had beaten the cat rather than shot it.
Prosecutors then refiled the felony charge.

Keating acknowledged that his client shot the cat, but said the charge
was out of proportion to the crime and that Anderson would fight it.

Indiana's felony animal cruelty statute requires a finding that a
defendant knowingly mutilated or tortured an animal.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Anderson, 29, and another former store
employee, Jeffrey Hardin, 21, on Dec. 28.

Anderson told investigators that he shot the cat with a pellet gun
after the store manager ordered employees to get rid of the animal,
which was living in a storage trailer behind the store on the city's
east side.

The cat was wounded but survived, a sheriff's report said, and the
next day Anderson and Hardin repeatedly shot the cat with a pellet gun
until it died.

Prosecutors did not file charges against the store manager because
they said he had not ordered Anderson to kill the cat.

Hardin's attorney, Keith Vonderahe, said his client has negotiated a
deal with prosecutors to enter a pretrial diversion program, after
which the charge against him would be dropped.

Part of the agreement requires Hardin to do community service work for
the Humane Society or Evansville animal shelter, the attorney said.

Information from: Evansville Courier & Press,
http://www.courierpress.com

Old May 16th 05, 10:25 PM
blueberries79

you know, after living in the armpit of America for 4 years, I knew that
story was from Indiana before I even saw it. between that and the mullets
(no offense to anyone who wears them, but there are a LOT in Indiana!).....

Old May 17th 05, 12:04 AM
Mary

"blueberries79" wrote in message
you know, after living in the armpit of America for 4 years, I knew that
story was from Indiana before I even saw it. between that and the mullets
(no offense to anyone who wears them, but there are a LOT in

Indiana!).....

LOL! Oh yeah. Yes yes.

Old May 17th 05, 01:09 AM
Annie Wxill

"Andrew" wrote in message
http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter...tory?id=761107

.... Part of the agreement requires Hardin to do community service work for
the Humane Society or Evansville animal shelter, the attorney said.
Information from: Evansville Courier & Press,
http://www.courierpress.com

Hi Andrew,
I just don't understand why anyone would think that community service for
such a person should involve contact with animals.
I don't think a child abuser would be allowed to do community service in a
day care center or summer camp.
I hope an abuser of elderly people would not be assigned to a nursing home.
If they manage to get community service instead of jail time. it should be
picking up garbage in the hot sun or something like that.
Go figure.
Annie

Old May 17th 05, 01:46 AM
bigbadbarry

It had to be a "Greeter", to save money they we're making thier
greeters wear trash bags instead of smocks. this is true. No pants no
socks no shirt, just a trash bag.

Old May 18th 05, 04:14 AM
Hemmaholic

Just so everyone knows, not all Wal-Marts or their Associates are
anti-cat.

At my store (#1275, also in Indiana), we have a Colony of five feral
cats, all have been neutered/spayed and live in the back of the lot
behind the store. They have a warm, dry shelter, and are lovingly
cared for by one Associate and with the Store Manager's Blessings..

They are fed every day, rain, shine snow or bitter cold. And they
don't get just any food, but quality food and often freshly cooked beef
liver and/or chicken. Their health is monitored on a daily basis and
if any one of them should need medical attention, steps are taken to
see that that happens.

Our ferals started out as kittens, born on the property. The mother
and one of the kittens disappeared over the winter, leaving only four
kittens who were later joined by an older kitten that was no doubt
dumped.

Giving these two jerks Community Service working with animals is not my
idea of punishment for the cruel way in which they dispatched the cat.
And the Manager is just as guilty for not having been more specific in
how the animal was "gotten rid of".

You see, I am the caretaker for these wonderful creatures. I hope I
never see either of these two near "my" Wal-Mart Kitties!

Hemma

Old May 18th 05, 05:04 AM
bigbadbarry

Hemmaholic wrote:
Just so everyone knows, not all Wal-Marts or their Associates are
anti-cat.

At my store (#1275, also in Indiana), we have a Colony of five feral
cats, all have been neutered/spayed and live in the back of the lot
behind the store. They have a warm, dry shelter, and are lovingly
cared for by one Associate and with the Store Manager's Blessings..

You see, I am the caretaker for these wonderful creatures. I hope I
never see either of these two near "my" Wal-Mart Kitties!

Hemma

I bet it's rewarding, maybe you can post a pic link, I'd like to see.

Old May 19th 05, 11:57 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-17, Annie Wxill penned:

Hi Andrew, I just don't understand why anyone would think that
community service for such a person should involve contact with
animals. I don't think a child abuser would be allowed to do
community service in a day care center or summer camp. I hope an
abuser of elderly people would not be assigned to a nursing home.
If they manage to get community service instead of jail time. it
should be picking up garbage in the hot sun or something like that.
Go figure. Annie

This is exactly what I was thinking.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 20th 05, 01:50 PM
Hemmaholic

I'll have to see if I can find some extra time to up load a few
pictures to one of my on line albums. May also have to have a talk
with the local newspapers and have an article done for publication.

Hemma

Old May 21st 05, 02:22 AM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:
It had to be a "Greeter", to save money they we're making thier
greeters wear trash bags instead of smocks. this is true. No pants no
socks no shirt, just a trash bag.

It had to be a "Greeter", to save money they we're making thier
greeters wear trash bags instead of smocks. this is true. No pants no
socks no shirt, just a trash bag.

I thought this was very funny, and I know funny