Poor Nikki...

Old November 1st 03, 07:53 AM
Marina

Default Poor Nikki...

.... she is being teased by a small birdie, who keeps flitting about outside
the glass panes on the balcony. I first noticed it when there was a flurry
of movement and noise out there, as Nikki jumped from the shelf to the cat
tree. I suspect that she bumped her head against the glass as she tried to
jump after the bird. Now she has been crouching low on top of the cat tree,
flattening herself down every time the bird flits past. I don't know what
the bird is thinking. There is nothing for it up here by my balcony, so the
only possibility is that it is really teasing my poor Nikki. This has been
going on for half an hour or so.

I hope we won't have a repeat of what happened when I put up a bird feeder
outside a window once. Nikki has such a strong hunting instinct that she
couldn't eat, she couldn't sleep, she just *had* to watch the birdies and
even the empty bird feeder 24/7. Finally, I had to take down the feeder,
because she became so high strung about it. I hope this birdie will leave
Nikki alone soon, though it is fun to watch her get all happy and excited,
the little old lady. She really lives for hunting, that one.

--
Marina

Old November 1st 03, 08:18 AM
Takayuki

"Marina" wrote:
I hope we won't have a repeat of what happened when I put up a bird feeder
outside a window once. Nikki has such a strong hunting instinct that she
couldn't eat, she couldn't sleep, she just *had* to watch the birdies and
even the empty bird feeder 24/7. Finally, I had to take down the feeder,
because she became so high strung about it. I hope this birdie will leave
Nikki alone soon, though it is fun to watch her get all happy and excited,
the little old lady. She really lives for hunting, that one.

It sounds like the birdie is just a bit confused about how to migrate
south for the winter. If the bird stays around the window, I guess
you'll just have to move the food and litterbox to the balcony!

It does all sound very cute.

Old November 1st 03, 09:55 AM
polonca12000

Poor Nikki! I do hope the birdie will come to his/her senses and stop
torturing Nikki.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip I hope this birdie will leave

Old November 1st 03, 02:08 PM
Christine Burel

I remember the birdfeeder story! Everyone needs a "tv" fix now and then --
hope she enjoys herself (sans bumping her head against the glass!)!
Christine

Old November 1st 03, 03:41 PM
lewe

Marina skrev i
| ... she is being teased by a small birdie, who keeps flitting about
outside
| the glass panes on the balcony. I first noticed it when there was a flurry
| of movement and noise out there, as Nikki jumped from the shelf to the cat
| tree. I suspect that she bumped her head against the glass as she tried to
| jump after the bird. Now she has been crouching low on top of the cat
tree,
| flattening herself down every time the bird flits past. I don't know what
| the bird is thinking. There is nothing for it up here by my balcony, so
the
| only possibility is that it is really teasing my poor Nikki. This has been
| going on for half an hour or so.
|
| I hope we won't have a repeat of what happened when I put up a bird feeder
| outside a window once. Nikki has such a strong hunting instinct that she
| couldn't eat, she couldn't sleep, she just *had* to watch the birdies and
| even the empty bird feeder 24/7. Finally, I had to take down the feeder,
| because she became so high strung about it. I hope this birdie will leave
| Nikki alone soon, though it is fun to watch her get all happy and excited,
| the little old lady. She really lives for hunting, that one.

good thing Nikki isn't here right now, she would have a system's meltdown or
something. There are at least some hundred jackdaws on the roof of the
opposite apartment building and in the tree across the street. They just
flew in like a flapping clowd a few minutes ago. Thea and Bono are siting in
the windows with big eyes, chirping

yesterday there were several great tits jumping from window to window along
the building, like hunting for something, not sure what they were up to,
could be they were out of their normal hiding places since all the bushes
around they building were removed last week, they are fixing the garden and
so adding fresh soil and replacing the plant things and so on.

It's nice with the birds for the cats - of course T&B are not that mighty
hunters as Nikki so they do get some sleep, it's only when by the lake with
all the little mousies running around at all hours that at least B get
washed out and start to go cross-eyed after a couple of days nad need to go
back to my parents' to rest up. Apart from the birds mentioned already we
have a lot of doves, gulls and blackbirds around too for entertainment, the
apartment is on the very top floor and a from couple of windows we can see
also the birds that are on our roof. But the most exciting thing is when
they jump around on the tin balcony roof ...

What about Frank doesn't he go into hunting mode at all?
--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old November 1st 03, 09:43 PM
jmcquown

Marina wrote:
[...]

Awwww.... kiss Nikki's bumped little head for me. The bird probably is
taunting her, or else looking for a spot to hunker down for the winter.

I've been very fortunate with Persia. She goes into hunting mode with the
birds and squirrels she sees outside on the patio, making little squeaky
noises at them. But she learned very quickly to leave my parakeets alone.
Taz died last weekend so now there is only one bird, Rachel, but she pays
absolutely no attention to it.

I should say, she pays no attention to it unless *I* pay attention to it.
She gets jealous if I'm talking to Rachel but she never jumps at the cage or
goes into hunting mode with her.

Hopefully that bird will stop teasing Nikki.

Jill

Old November 2nd 03, 01:06 AM
Gizela

ROFL.....poor little Nikki though. Where is Frank amidst all this kaffufle??

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old November 2nd 03, 05:08 AM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote
ROFL.....poor little Nikki though. Where is Frank amidst all this

kaffufle??

I think Frank has decided to hibernate this winter. At least he spends an
awful lot of time holding down my bed. Maybe it gets extra flighty this time
of year. Maybe the bed would like to fly south, like all the *sensible*
birds. In that cae, Frank is doing a very good job of holding it down for me
(thanks, Tabitha, for explaining that to me).

When he's not holding down the bed, he comes to me and wants to be picked up
and held. This is happening several times a day now, and is pretty new. He
only used to let me pick him up for a cuddle once a day or so. I hope this
doesn't mean there's something wrong with him. Maybe he is just feeling his
age (he'll be 16 in a few weeks), maybe he feels cold like a lot of older
people do. Anyway, he was not the least interested in the bird.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 2nd 03, 07:01 AM
Marina

"lewe" wrote

What about Frank doesn't he go into hunting mode at all?

Not lately, no. He just sleeps. Oh, he does wake up and play some in the
mornings, but he ignored this birdie completely.

--
Marina

Old November 2nd 03, 07:09 AM
Marina

"jmcquown" wrote

I should say, she pays no attention to it unless *I* pay attention to it.
She gets jealous if I'm talking to Rachel but she never jumps at the cage

or
goes into hunting mode with her.

Oh, sibling rivalry. We get some of that here, too. Frank especially thinks
that he should always be cuddled first, and if he isn't, will give me dirty
looks.

--
Marina