Mad kitty!

Old October 24th 04, 11:35 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:41:11 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:48:18 +1300, Bev yodeled:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

The former Mr. T (an Aussie) had people remark to him that it

must be
cool to live in a country from where you could drive all over

Europe.
:P

I've heard that many people think that Australia and Austria are

the same
place, which would certainly lead to that kind of confusion!

--
Cheryl

Even funnier are the people who think that Australia and New Zealand

are
part of the same country or people who think New Zealand is a part of
Holland or Alaska. When we travelled around the US recently few

people
could pick our accents. They always began by thinking we were

English,
no, Australian then, nooo, then they gave up

Bev

"New Zealand: The Canada of Australia"

Forget New Zealand (I don't mean really)! That's beyond most of our
ken. In fact it was beyond my Aussie Mr. T's ken, too, but I think
that was on purpose. :P

I don't know it it is because I am so familiar with "down-under"
accents that I don't see why most Americans mistake them for English.
But I suppose that there are so many English accents that they think
that those just might be a couple more.

Theresa

Actually, the most common Aussie accent bears a definite resemblance to
the English Cockney accent. There is also the fact that a large number
of Aussies came from England originally, and never lost their English
accent.

Joy

I just think if you live long enough with Australians-- as I did--
the "similarities" fade. Cockney might have been a starting point,
but not only was that well over 200 years ago, but there were
probably at least as many Irish in the penal colonies, and the first
immigrations as there were English. Then people from *everywhere*
have poured in, since. Melbourne was probably demographically more
Greek and Italian when I was there a few years ago, and they all had
Aussie accents. Try telling them they owe it to Mother England. :P

Take it from me, they have vowels and diphthongs down there that never
appeared in the British Isles.

Theresa

Old October 24th 04, 11:51 PM
Christina Websell

"Yoj" wrote in message news:XjVed.9581$around the
US recently Actually, the most common Aussie accent bears a definite
resemblance to
the English Cockney accent. There is also the fact that a large number
of Aussies came from England originally, and never lost their English
accent.

Joy

Not so. No Australians I've even met sounded like they were English, and I
should know. Only English people sound like they're English.

Tweed

Old October 25th 04, 12:13 AM
Yoj

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Yoj" wrote in message

news:XjVed.9581$around the
US recently Actually, the most common Aussie accent bears a definite
resemblance to
the English Cockney accent. There is also the fact that a large

number
of Aussies came from England originally, and never lost their

English
accent.

Joy

Not so. No Australians I've even met sounded like they were English,

and I
should know. Only English people sound like they're English.

Tweed

One of my dear friends from another newsgroup moved to Oz from England a
few decades ago, and considers herself an Australian. Aussies still
tell her she sounds like a Pommy.

Joy

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM