Mad kitty!

Old October 26th 04, 07:09 AM
LOL

Singh wrote in message ...

I understand that in the South, "Coke" is used for any type of carbonated drink,
including but not limited to Caca-Cola.

Blessed be,
Baha

I've heard comedians say this, but in 37 years in Georgia, I've never
heard anyone actually do this. When we say "Coke" that's what we
want. If we want something else, we'll say "Pepsi" or "Dr. Pepper" or
whatever.

------
Krista
Old October 26th 04, 07:12 AM
LOL

"Yowie" wrote in message ...

They say that while people have different accents whilst speaking, almost
every singer who sings in English *sings* with an American accent :-)

Yowie

Accents do seem to largely disappear while singing, but I'd always
assumed that's because it's the song dictating the rhythms and
stresses, etc., whereas in speaking there are no such constraints.

------
Krista

Old October 26th 04, 08:21 AM
O J

Hi All,

I want to raise a point that's just been touched on in this thread.
That is, how quickly we revert to our childhood accent when we've been
speaking to someone from 'home'. DH is the worst (best??) at this --
if she speaks with another New Yawker, she'll have an East Coast
accent for a week. I used to work in a maintenance organization where
I spoke with folk from all over the country and as we waited while I
got the site technician on-line, we had a few moments to chat.
Usually the first topic was my nickname, but the second was where we
were located followed by where we were originally from.

It was amazing how when I got another NYer on the line, no matter how
long we had both been transplanted, once we knew the other was from
NY, and I'm really speaking of a Downstate/NYC accent, it was
surprising how quickly the old speech patterns and usages came back.
It seemed as if subliminal cues from both parties would go into some
sort of feedback till we sounded, if not like we did before we moved,
at least like recent transplants.

I suspect the same is true of other countries with regional accents.
I just wish it didn't embarrass DH so when she temporarily sounds like
a exile from Brooklyn.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 26th 04, 01:16 PM
Adrian

Yoj wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:31:23 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

"Yoj" had some very interesting things to
say about "go down cellar":

That reminds me - an Aussie friend from another newsgroup recently
visited the United States, where she spent four years driving
around on her own (She's a lot braver than I am!). She said that
at one motel, the clerk asked her where she was from and she said
Australia. The clerk said, "Your English is very good." Without
missing a beat, my friend said, "So is yours."

[applause] Ignorant jerk had it coming, IMO.

I envy people who are that quick with a good comeback.

The former Mr. T (an Aussie) had people remark to him that it must be
cool to live in a country from where you could drive all over Europe.

Theresa

LOL! It is amazing how many people confuse Austria and Australia.
The man who rented my friend a car knew the difference, but pushed
the wrong button, so the rental agreement was first printed in German.

Joy

Now that would be worrying if the person hiring the car didn't know,
they drive on the left in Australia but drive on the right in Austria.
;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM