A Moving Experience

Old March 10th 04, 03:51 PM
Margaret Fine

Default A Moving Experience

We're in the process of moving from our house in one state to an
apartment in another state while we wait for our new condo to be built.
Going from an 2000 sq. ft house to a 1200 sq. ft condo (and I get
twice the mortgage for almost half the space) has been interesting-- had
to either throw away a lot of stuff or give it away. We sent mail
around to local animal rescue groups who snapped up a lot of it.

Oliver has been holding up well in all the confusion and chaos of
moving. While the movers were there packing and loading we put him in
the cat kennel and then picked him up yesterday to bring him back to our
new place (about a 5 hour drive)right from the kennel. About an hour
into the drive he started crying and fussing and we couldn't figure out
what was wrong with him. Suddenly he escaped from the crate we were
transporting him in. The first thing he did was run over to our dog and
greet him and give him kisses. Then he jumped in the front seat and
demanded that I hold him. We were traveling at highway speeds with no
where to pull over and put him back in the crate so I ended up holding
him for about 30 miles until we got to a rest area. Turns out that he
was just so lonely for us after two days in the kennel that he just had
to be with us for a little while. After we got to the rest area and put
him back in his crate he was perfectly content to sleep on his little
bed until we got home. He is so sweet sometimes!

Part of the time he was out of the crate he stood with his little feet
braced on the dashboard looking out the windshield. He looked like a
little figurehead on a ship or a Jaguar hood ornament. Every once in a
while he go meeeeerrOOOWWW! I took that as "faster daddy!" It was cute
but I worried we'd have to stop suddenly and he'd be dashed against the
window but it was either that or let him on Steve (who was driving) and
I did not want Oliver to help drive! :-)

--
Margaret Fine

Old March 10th 04, 09:48 PM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:51:45 GMT, Margaret Fine
wrote:

Part of the time he was out of the crate he stood with his little feet
braced on the dashboard looking out the windshield. He looked like a
little figurehead on a ship or a Jaguar hood ornament. Every once in a
while he go meeeeerrOOOWWW! I took that as "faster daddy!" It was cute
but I worried we'd have to stop suddenly and he'd be dashed against the
window but it was either that or let him on Steve (who was driving) and
I did not want Oliver to help drive! :-)

That reminds me of the time I was driving from west of St. Louis MO to
Oak Ridge TN (about 10 hours) with my three red tabby females in a
home-made crate in the back of a station wagon. They tore the crate
to pieces almost immeditely - they went nuts and didn't calm down
until I got well into Illinois. Then one took up a position watching
the world out the back window, one out the right rear window, and the
third out the left rear window. The rest of the trip was completely
peaceful with an occasional cat coming up to get a quick pet before
returning to her window. On future trips, I just put them in the
station wagon and let them find their places. They always went nuts
going through St. Louis, but were calm everywhere else.

T.E.D. )
Old March 10th 04, 10:47 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:48:24 -0600, Ted Davis
wrote:

That reminds me of the time I was driving from west of St. Louis MO to
Oak Ridge TN (about 10 hours) with my three red tabby females in a
home-made crate in the back of a station wagon. They tore the crate
to pieces almost immeditely - they went nuts and didn't calm down
until I got well into Illinois. Then one took up a position watching
the world out the back window, one out the right rear window, and the
third out the left rear window. The rest of the trip was completely
peaceful with an occasional cat coming up to get a quick pet before
returning to her window. On future trips, I just put them in the
station wagon and let them find their places. They always went nuts
going through St. Louis, but were calm everywhere else.

Sammy complains LOUDLY riding in my pickup when she's in a carrier. In
fact, when I was stopped at a traffic light she was so loud that I was
getting strange looks from people in the car stopped next to me ;-)

Her carrier is one of those which has two doors; the traditional front
door, plus one on top. If I open the top door so that she can stand
and look out the windows, she looks out the windows and then settles
down to take a nap. So, when we go somewhere I put on her leash and
tie it so she has to stay in the carrier, but can look out the
windows, and she's happy.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 10th 04, 11:43 PM
lrulan

aw, poor sweet Oliver. How is he taking to the new digs?
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old March 11th 04, 03:59 AM
badwilson

[...]

Aaaaaw, what a cutie :-)

Part of the time he was out of the crate he stood with his little feet
braced on the dashboard looking out the windshield. He looked like a
little figurehead on a ship or a Jaguar hood ornament. Every once in a
while he go meeeeerrOOOWWW! I took that as "faster daddy!" It was cute
but I worried we'd have to stop suddenly and he'd be dashed against the
window but it was either that or let him on Steve (who was driving) and
I did not want Oliver to help drive! :-)

Kinda like that "I'm the king of the wooooorld!!!" from Titanic. Very cute.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 11th 04, 05:19 AM
Marina

"Margaret Fine" wrote

snip

Part of the time he was out of the crate he stood with his little feet
braced on the dashboard looking out the windshield. He looked like a
little figurehead on a ship or a Jaguar hood ornament. Every once in a
while he go meeeeerrOOOWWW! I took that as "faster daddy!"

Awww! So cute. Oliver is such a sweet boy.

Frank is the same in that he has to get in my face and greet me every time
we've been apart. One time, I took both Frank and Nikki to TED for a
teeth-cleaning. When I came to pick them up, they were in the cages in the
vet's office. Frank was in a cage at the top and Nikki was in one lower
down. When I bent down to put my fingers into Nikki's cage, Frank put out a
paw through the bars in his cage, grabbed my hair with his claws and pulled,
because he needed to greet me first, i.e. RIGHT NEOW!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 11th 04, 08:23 AM
LOL

Margaret Fine wrote in message hlink.net...

(snippage)

Part of the time he was out of the crate he stood with his little feet
braced on the dashboard looking out the windshield. He looked like a
little figurehead on a ship or a Jaguar hood ornament. Every once in a
while he go meeeeerrOOOWWW! I took that as "faster daddy!" It was cute
but I worried we'd have to stop suddenly and he'd be dashed against the
window but it was either that or let him on Steve (who was driving) and
I did not want Oliver to help drive! :-)

Awwww, how cute. I hope he's settling in okay; please give him a
scritch for me. :-)

------
Krista
Old March 11th 04, 06:06 PM
Stacey

[...]

Ever since Moogie was a kitten (well, OK, he's still a kitten, but since we
got him at 6 weeks), we took him for car rides, the longest being 3 hours,
the shortest around the trailer park. He loved it.. his favorite place was
to balance precariously on top of the car seat and surf along! He hasn't
ridden since the snow hit though, so he may not like it as much.

Stacey

Old March 11th 04, 07:21 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:06:23 GMT, "Stacey"
wrote:

Ever since Moogie was a kitten (well, OK, he's still a kitten, but since we
got him at 6 weeks), we took him for car rides, the longest being 3 hours,
the shortest around the trailer park. He loved it.. his favorite place was
to balance precariously on top of the car seat and surf along! He hasn't
ridden since the snow hit though, so he may not like it as much.

Stacey

Yeh, Sammy loved riding in the truck as a kitten, then for a while she
didn't get to go on any rides for awhile. It took her a while before
she decided she liked it when I started taking her again.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: