Vaccinations?

Old February 18th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default Vaccinations?

oddly my mother's dog was born unable to bark, she wen t through the motions
but no noise came out, she could only growl and wine... my father said it
was a real cool trait in a yapper, Lee
"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
or as I call them a rat that barks ;-)

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i am so sorry, chichauha, sp, littl mexican dog, many in us now call taco
dog because it was the star of taco bell commercials, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
What is a taco dog?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
how interesting, as i was reading this thread, i recalled an incident
where a falcon tried to take my mother's taco dog for lunch while she
was out taking care of business, and she is a larger one or rather was
now rb of that breed, lucky for her my father walked around to see the
bird swooping onto her so he scared it off, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
I know you have rats but do you have raccoons and skunks...

No.

Old February 18th 12, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

and so far the disussion, as jill requested has been most civil. Lee

On 2012-02-16 11:23 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

Hawaii BTW has no rabies at all. Mainland dogs brought there have to
be quarentined.

Islands have an opportunity to refuse anything dodgy with quarantine
It's why we don't have rabies.

That only works when the island in question is far enough from other land
that rabid animals can't get there on their own. And, as you say, if
there is a sufficiently strong embargo on human-assisted animal arrival,
at least for animals who can't be proven to be clean of infection.

I think part of the reason rules and precautions against rabies are so
strong in so many places is the extreme danger posed by infection. If an
infected human or animal merely got sniffles or something, a lot more
people would skip immunization, and fewer laws would be written requiring
it. But we're talking about something that almost certainly leads to a
slow, painful, prolonged death. Even the only treatment is painful and
difficult - and doesn't always work if not started early enough.

If I lived in an area in which rabies was endemic, I'd probably have them
vaccinated even if they were indoor-only. I haven't looked up the stats,
but I suspect that the chances of an escape and infection are very small
but not zero. So are the chances of a bad reaction to the vaccination. If
the vaccination goes bad, I have a sick and maybe dead cat. If the cat
has rabies, I definitely have a dead cat, one who might have infected and
possibly killed other cats and humans as well, maybe before the symptoms
were obvious and painful. Which is worse?

I think there was a case recently of a woman who was travelling in India
who died from rabies caught when a dog licked her hand. No bite, no
warning nothing until it was too late for treatment. Rabies is scary
stuff.

It sure is scary. I'm not trying to persuade anyone not to have their cat
vaccinated, merely to assess the likelihood and risk.

Old February 18th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

lol, i just had this vision of kfc as an older stately but feisty cougar and
boyfriend as her "pick", lol, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Yes, I understand that. I do panic a bit if Boyfie goes out late and is
not home in the time I estimate. However he is perfectly capable of
shinning up one of my many trees if he sees a fox and thinks it might be
up for a bit of bother.
Most foxes don't eat cats but there is always the occasional one that
will, especially when they have cubs to feed.
Sometimes I have to trust his ability to take care of himself, since once
upon a time he was a lost boy, wandering, and he managed to get himself
through that by attaching himself to KFC. No mean feat, that.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
the cat i had growing up was most sensible and spent a lot of time
outside, he went camping with us and came to a whistle but i am no longer
able to take that strain of waiting, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I wish you could, too. The worst thing that Boyfie could encounter here
is a fox. Some foxes are known to kill cats.
The boy is sensible, any chance of that, he is on his duvet.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i just wish we had the choice for in/ out as those of you in uk do, i
would really like the two of mine who want out to go... on the plans is
a sun porch so they can at least go part way out. sadly between the
risk of being hurt by other animals, people and cars it really isn't a
choice i can make, even in our small town, some here do have in/out
animals but i am too nurvous to do it, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"cshenk" wrote in message

CDC report:

Domestic species accounted for 8% of all rabid animals reported in
the
United States in 2010. The number of reported rabid domestic animals
decreased among all domestic species except cats.

In 2010, cases of rabies in cats increased 1.0% compared with the
number reported in 2009. The number of rabies cases reported in cats
is
routinely 3-4 times that of rabies reported in cattle or dogs.
Pennsylvania reported the largest number of rabid domestic animals
(72)
for any state, followed by New York (51). In 2010 approximately 1.1%
of
cats and 0.3% of dogs tested for rabies were found positive.

I have said that it is purely up to you USA'ns to make your decision
about whether to get your indoor cats innoculated or the chance of
vaccine sarcoma if you do.

Old February 18th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

they have certainly been given an overabundance of 'tude, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Chihuahuas are a huge dog in a small body.
One of my friends had one. That dog attacked a Great Dane by chewing on
its legs. Luckily the Dane was a kind boy and merely pushed her away with
his nose, otherwise she could have been one dead dog in one bite. I
witnessed this and my heart was in my mouth.

Old February 18th 12, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

lol
"Lesley" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 12:41 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Chihuahuas are a huge dog in a small body.

A friend of mine went to Battersea looking for at least a medium sized
dog and somehow came home with a chihuahua called Chico. The staff at
Battersea said "We think there's a rottweiler in there- we think he
ate it"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 18th 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

they do shed but for some people the allergies aren't as bad, my father had
onlhy a mild reaction to my mother's dog, she made me itch feircley if the
hair touched my skin... Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:
What is a taco dog?

Probably a Chihuahua. Someone told me the other day that one reason
they're so popular as lap dogs is that they don't shed. Is that true?

No.

Old February 18th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Storrmmee wrote:
oddly my mother's dog was born unable to bark, she wen t through the motions
but no noise came out, she could only growl and wine... my father said it
was a real cool trait in a yapper, Lee

Part Bassenji, maybe? They don't bark, just sort of whimper. (A friend
of mine had a Basenji-Beagle mix. Rascal COULD bark, but it was usually
just one warning "woof" if there were someone at the door - the rest of
the time she just "talked".
Old February 18th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Storrmmee wrote:
oddly my mother's dog was born unable to bark, she wen t through the
motions but no noise came out, she could only growl and wine... my father
said it was a real cool trait in a yapper, Lee

Part Bassenji, maybe? They don't bark, just sort of whimper. (A friend
of mine had a Basenji-Beagle mix. Rascal COULD bark, but it was usually
just one warning "woof" if there were someone at the door - the rest of
the time she just "talked".

My sister has a purebred Golden Retriever that can't really bark. She makes
a funny little noise, but that's all.

Joy

Old February 18th 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"cshenk" wrote in message

CDC report:

Domestic species accounted for 8% of all rabid animals reported in
the United States in 2010. The number of reported rabid domestic
animals decreased among all domestic species except cats.

In 2010, cases of rabies in cats increased 1.0% compared with the
number reported in 2009. The number of rabies cases reported in
cats is routinely 3-4 times that of rabies reported in cattle or
dogs. Pennsylvania reported the largest number of rabid domestic
animals (72) for any state, followed by New York (51). In 2010
approximately 1.1% of cats and 0.3% of dogs tested for rabies were
found positive.

I have said that it is purely up to you USA'ns to make your decision
about whether to get your indoor cats innoculated or the chance of
vaccine sarcoma if you do.

No problem Christina, I'm just passing on relevant USA stats to explain
why it's taken a bit different here.

USA isnt alone either. It's endemic world-wide with only a few spots
that have never had a case, mostly pacific islands.

Britain does not have rabies, mainly due our strict quarantine system, when
once every mammal had to spend 6 months in there before there were allowed
in.