Purrs for Boone

Old November 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Exocat

Tremendous news. Sighs of relief all round. Enjoy slaving over a hot
stove!

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

--
Feline family viewable at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/exocat

"Margaret Fine" wrote

He just suddenly seems to be better. He looks better and acts happy
again. The power of Purrs!!

Old November 3rd 04, 07:54 PM
Margaret Fine

Christina Websell wrote:

"Marina" wrote in message

Margaret Fine wrote:

Good news! Boone's labs all came back as completely normal so no cancer,
pancreatitis, or anything like that.

Also, I was having a few pretzels and this big black nose worked its was
over to the bag and tried to steal one. Then he looked at me with those
soulful eyes that seemed to be saying "Can I have a bite??" I have never
been so happy to have a dog beg for food in my life.

That's wonderful, Margaret! Yay! Purrs that the new food is OK for him.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

You might try him with eggs too. At first scrambled quite soft in with his
rice. Then poached - they so love to lick the yolk, then hardboiled and
chopped and if he tolerates this, bowel wise, try him with steamed white
fish. Then a gradual return to his proper diet. Yay, Boone. Go for it,
boy!

Tweed -- has spent what seems to be half her life finding nice food for ill
dogs.

Hi Tweed,

Thanks for the suggestion and the earlier boiled rice water suggestion.
It may be that eggs were the problem in the first place! He has food
allergies and is allergic to most proteins (beef, chicken, fish We even
had him on venison) and finally we had him on an egg and rice dog food
that seemed to agree with him. The vet now thinks he has developed an
allergy to the protein in eggs as well after 2 years! His new food will
be potato and chicken liver based. Apparently they (the dog food
people) now have the ability to break the protein in the chicken liver
down so that the body doesn't recognize it as an allergen but he will
still get nutritional value from it. I don't understand how that works
but I'm willing to try it.

Margaret

--
Margaret Fine

Old November 3rd 04, 08:16 PM
Christina Websell

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message
nk.net...
Christina Websell wrote:

"Marina" wrote in message

Margaret Fine wrote:

[...]

How about lamb? A lot of allergic dogs here are put on lamb and rice that
we can buy and feed ourself. Lamb is quite expensive here but when I still
had my dogs I could buy a lamb/rice kibble without additives and
preservatives. It wasn't cheap.
It seems like it's difficult to be allergic to lamb. In humans it's used
as an exclusion diet (eat lamb and rice, gradually introduce other things
and if you show symptoms, it's the new foods you're allergic to.)
HTH

Tweed

Old November 3rd 04, 09:10 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:54:39 GMT, Margaret Fine
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion and the earlier boiled rice water suggestion.
It may be that eggs were the problem in the first place! He has food
allergies and is allergic to most proteins (beef, chicken, fish We even
had him on venison) and finally we had him on an egg and rice dog food
that seemed to agree with him. The vet now thinks he has developed an
allergy to the protein in eggs as well after 2 years! His new food will
be potato and chicken liver based. Apparently they (the dog food
people) now have the ability to break the protein in the chicken liver
down so that the body doesn't recognize it as an allergen but he will
still get nutritional value from it. I don't understand how that works
but I'm willing to try it.

Purrs that he does well with the new diet. I mentioned my brother's
d*g, and how I once set off his allergies during a visit when I fed
him some table scraps (before I learned about his restricted diet).
Sounds like Boone allergies mirrors what my brother's aikita went
through - doing fine on a diet for awhile, then develping an allergy
and having to switch to something new.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old November 3rd 04, 10:28 PM
Margaret Fine

Christina Websell wrote:

"Marina" wrote in message

Margaret Fine wrote:

[...]

Lamb too! In fact we had him on a lamb and rice diet for his normal
food from the time he was a puppy. We found out out pretty early he was
allergic to beet pulp which is added as a fiber source to a lot of food.
So we had him on a food that only had lamb and rice for ingredients
and about 6 years and he was fine. Then he got very sick and we
couldn't pinpoint what it was. I finally looked at the food and found
that the manufacturer had added beet pulp with no notice on the bag.
This seemed to set off some sort of hyper allergic reaction but we
noticed when he was just on rice and cottage cheese and egg he was fine
but whenever he was on a food that had lamb, beef, pork, fish he would
get really sick again. I think the only two we didn't try was rabbit
and duck! If this doesn't work he'll have to try one of those.

Thanks!

--
Margaret Fine