OT - LAST Mini Rant

Old November 2nd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - LAST Mini Rant

I really do know how sick you all are of hearing me whining, and I promise
to keep this short with as little whining as I am capable of. If I were to
keep the promise I made to myself I wouldn't be posting this at all and
will, with every ounce of self control I may have, never post on this topic
ever again.

Why post this one now then? I have nobody else to tell this to. I haven't
told my children or my mother the extent of my illness, and DH *won't* talk
to me about it. And my best (and only RL) friend, from sixth grade until
yesterday, has ended our friendship with a text message saying "I'm done".
The reason for this is that she disapproves of me taking pain medications -
she doesn't believe that fibromyalgia or RSD even exist and that I just use
that excuse in order to get narcotics. I've got news for her, getting dope
from the streets would be a *LOT* easier and less costly, but anyway.

Even if nobody reads this, it still helps a bit to let out a little of the
frustration I'm feeling. So...

MetLife is going to deny my medical leave extension tomorrow, using the
excuse that I didn't provide them with any *new* medical records (like I'm
supposed to see a doctor every two weeks even though nothing has changed).

My doctor wrote the following letter directly to MetLife (I'm typing it
*exactly* what he wrote, word for word):

"Dear Sir or Madam:

I have recommended medical leave-of-absence until January 1, 2011, with a
reassessment at that time, due to the patient's multiple medical problems
from which she is now recuperating.

She has lost significant weight and she is in no way ready to return to
gainful employment at this time.

Yours truly"

MetLife told me that they needed *detailed* medical records and test results
(never mind that the only medical appointment in the last two weeks was with
my pain management doctor and he didn't suggest any changes at that time).
Physically, my body would not tolerate even the truck rides to and from
doctor's offices).

I'm not even going to speculate about what may happen then. I'm just taking
things one day at a time and I know we can survive - millions are in worse
shape and still manage, so what will be will be.

I really am sorry for the rant and being a "Johnny One Note" - I hope it
hasn't cost me even more friends here. From now on I'll find some other
way to deal... maybe punch a few pillows? ;

No need to respond to this, just writing it assuages some of the
frustration, thanks.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 2nd 10, 10:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Lori - stop fighting with MetLife and appeal the decision by MetLife with
your state Insurance Commissioner. (I know what I'm talking about; I worked
for an insurance company.) Include all documentation, including your
medical records and doctors recommendations and all the information (or
dis-information) you got from MetLife. The Insurance Commissioner will
review the information and make a determination about the vailidity of your
claim. It usually turns out well, AFAIK. Here's a place to start:

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/consumer/complfrm.html

And I'm sorry about your RL friend, but if she can't figure out at 94 lbs.
you have health issues... shrug

Jill

Old November 2nd 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Jill, thank you *SO* much - I had no idea that I could do that! I was going
to ask my HR person how to go about getting an appeal started, but they
definitely don't have any interest in getting me one.

Old November 2nd 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Nov 1, 6:30*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
No need to respond to this, just writing it assuages some of the
frustration, thanks.

Rant all you want to it's far better than bottling it up you listened
to me when Dave was in hospital it's the least I can do to return the
compliment I don't think I would have survived with my rpca support
group

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 2nd 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thanks, Lesley. I think I'll make this one the last, though - I'm getting
sick of me myself! ;

Old November 2nd 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

No, Lori, you have some severe medical problems and I do not mind you
"whining" on here. I whined plenty on here when I had ovarian cancer and
only one person got annoyed by it and was given short shrift my members of
the group.
I hate to bang on about the difference between USA/UK medical care, but here
we get a "sick note" issued by our local doctor (GP). If my GP considers I
am not fit to work he will give me a sick note to send to my employers.
Depending on what is wrong it can be a week, or a month or even more. When
it runs out I have to go back to see him again and he'll decide whether I am
fit for work, if not, he will give me a new sick note for as long as he
thinks is necessary.
My employers have to accept this but if I am away from work for too long
(and bear in mind they are still paying me) they refer me to what is called
an Occupational Health doctor, to see if I can return to work if help is
provided.
This worked well for my sight difficulties as I got equipment I needed but
my employers just had to wait for me to return after my ca op.
What your doc provided looks like a sicknote to me until January.
I've been accused on the group recently of America-bashing by not agreeing
with your healthcare system so I will say no more.
Tweed

Old November 2nd 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Oh Christina, AFAIC you can express here your feelings about anything. One
of the best things about the US, IMHO, is that it protects everyone's right
to say whatever they like without (legal) consequences (and the caveat that
you are not deliberately lying so as to damage the person you're talking
about. There were a few (not many) occasions that made my knee jerk, but
email is notorious for its inability to convey tone or body language, so it
could well be that it was my misinterpretation of what you had to say.
Also, I feel like friends can disagree without harm to the relationship.

Just for the record, I *don't* think that other countries' socialized
medicine is bad (other than the delay you have to endure for even serious
cases - such as when you had cancer). I just think it won't work well for
ours. For one, the corruption in Washington almost always effectively
screws up everything the people want to have done. The healthcare reform
document is well over a thousand pages, and written in a way that is wide
open for any interpretation a lawyer might want to make of it. IMHO, I
think we should take more laws *off* the books rather than tacking more on
(as in the Texas law that even two consenting adults could not commit
"sodomy" without doing jail time. It's been a long, long time since the US
government actually cared about the people they represent, they just care
about their own lifestyles and healthcare - paid for by the people they
supposedly represent.

In any case, I have to deal with what is rather what should be, and my
whining about it doesn't change anything other than lose the respect of the
people I care about.

Thank you for your kind words and concerns - it really does help keep my
spirit up and helps alleviate the urges I have to just end the pain
permanently - something I really *DON'T* want to do.

Old November 2nd 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Oh Christina, AFAIC you can express here your feelings about anything.
One of the best things about the US, IMHO, is that it protects everyone's
right to say whatever they like without (legal) consequences (and the
caveat that you are not deliberately lying so as to damage the person
you're talking about. There were a few (not many) occasions that made my
knee jerk, but email is notorious for its inability to convey tone or body
language, so it could well be that it was my misinterpretation of what you
had to say. Also, I feel like friends can disagree without harm to the
relationship.

Just for the record, I *don't* think that other countries' socialized
medicine is bad (other than the delay you have to endure for even serious
cases - such as when you had cancer).

I was rushed into hospital by ambulance within half an hour, had a week of
tests and was operated on within two weeks.

I just think it won't work well for
ours.

Of course it will. Take money from everyone working, from their salaries
for heathcare and there is enough for everyone.
I'd be bankrupt by now by my bad health in the last 10 years if we did not
do this here.
Tweed

Old November 2nd 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

Just for the record, I *don't* think that other countries' socialized
medicine is bad (other than the delay you have to endure for even serious
cases - such as when you had cancer).

Americans do have to wait to be seen for serious symptoms. You must have
seen my post where I told the story of a friend who had blood in her stool
and had to wait A YEAR to get a colonscopy. Why? Because she's self-employed
and can't afford individual insurance.

About 40 million Americans go without health insurance, and you can be
sure that many of them *DO* have to wait long periods to get treatment.

I just think it won't work well for
ours. For one, the corruption in Washington almost always effectively
screws up everything the people want to have done. The healthcare reform
document is well over a thousand pages, and written in a way that is wide
open for any interpretation a lawyer might want to make of it.

That's because they had to appease the insurance companies and their
lobbyists. You are right that many people in Washington are corrupt and
are beholden to the insurance industry, which bankrolls their campaigns.
So they created a frankenstein of a bill that gives guaranteed new
business to the insurance companies, but only by convoluting what could
have been a relatively simple plan - a more socialized plan that would
eliminate the parasite. We're going to pay for health care one way or
another. Why are people willing to pay high premiums to a corporation
but not to the government?

The USA doesn't have a patent on political corruption, though. Yet other
countries have managed to pull it off.

IMHO, I
think we should take more laws *off* the books rather than tacking more on
(as in the Texas law that even two consenting adults could not commit
"sodomy" without doing jail time.

I don't equate the right of two individual, consenting adult human beings
to love and have sex as they wish with the "right" of a conscience-free
fake-human organization to make decisions based on how much money they can
suck out of the economy, rather than on what is best for people's health.
Libertarian ideas like this work well when applied to individuals making
personal choices. They fail completely when applied to powerful, for-profit
institutions. If they are not controlled they will end up dominating our
lives as well as any government.

they just care
about their own lifestyles and healthcare - paid for by the people they
supposedly represent.

I can't argue with this!

Joyce

--
I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old November 2nd 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 2, 1:41*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Of course it will. *Take money from everyone working, from their salaries
for heathcare and there is enough for everyone.
I'd be bankrupt by now by my bad health in the last 10 years if we did not
do this here.
Tweed

Oh my. I do not wish to discuss politics, so I don't know why I'm even
reading this thread :-)
But, Christina, your thoughts (while it makes sense)...is just way
oversimplified.
It isn't just a matter of "take X number of dollars extra out of
everyone's paychecks"
Our paychecks are already heavily taxed and IMHO middle-class working
Americans can't stand more of. What would be required would be a
complete overhaul, not just a simple matter of extra withholdings. Not
saying that
overhaul isn't urgently necessary, just saying it's not that easy.

Sherry