declawing

Old August 11th 03, 12:25 AM
Gary

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote:

Gary wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Cruel jerks like you always
*assume* that cats can't be trained (or, you just don't want to
invest the time in it), but, they can.

You'll never convince anyone that way. Sure way to make people shut
you out and not listen to your argument. Yeah, name-calling ALWAYS
influences people.

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

What's the difference between "name calling" and accurate descriptive
phrases?

Gary

Old August 11th 03, 12:50 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message

Good luck with that statement. This group is nothing but extremists
who like to flame away people who are not of like mind or who they
cannot convert.

I'm not an extremist, but the fact is, most countries have banned declawing
for a reason, and many vets have expressed their professional opinion that
declawing is harmful to a cat, that it can cause a lot of pain, and often
psychological and/or behavior problems. I don't see why they would do this
if it was just a matter of personal preference. Considering how rarely
governments consider animal rights, the fact that so many have considered
declawing harmful enough to ban it sends a very strong message, and there
are certainly a number of fact-laden articles all over the 'Net (many by
vets) supporting that viewpoint. There is also a great deal of anecdotal
evidence regarding the aforementioned psychological and behavior problems,
much of it from shelters dealing with the fallout of this proceedure.

That is the reason it's very difficult for most people here not to get
angry, extreme or resort to name calling when they hear of people trying to
justify the proceedure; it is unneccessary, and there is a lot of evidence
which supports the idea that it can cause a cat a lot of misery. And as
this group is full of animal lovers, it angers them to hear people trying to
justify an unecessary procedure that makes innocent animals suffer....that's
only natural.

Ann

Old August 11th 03, 01:39 AM
Gary

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote:

Gary wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

What's the difference between "name calling" and accurate descriptive
phrases?

You mean like close-minded, self-absorbed, "everyone should think the
way I do" purists like you? That's dead on, but saying so would never
get you to even consider anything I say seriusly. I'm just saying you
do the issue much more harm than good with you PERSONAL OPINION of
someone thrown in.

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
Well, would you?

That's what usenet is about - PERSONAL OPINION. Deal with it.

Gary

Old August 11th 03, 01:40 AM
Mike

There are regional and cultural issues surrounding everything we do and
one country will be in line with it while another will not. Glom on to
whatever fits within your ideal, but don't discount everything that
does not as "just wrong." Because by and large it isn't. It's just an
opinion. How many industrialized nations are there in the world
anyway? Twenty of them have banned declawing. Half of them admit
there's still an underground for it and the results have been similar
to the banning of abortion--disfigurement and death. If that's what
you want to happen to cats, fine. I think you're cruel.

But if the cat died "as a result of a countries laws", wouldn't that then
mean the person who took the cat to be declawed in the first place was
indeed the "cruel" one?

Mike