BENGAL cats

Old April 27th 05, 11:08 PM
Steve G

Philip wrote:
(...)

Hard time. Well, you should see what some people think a

run-of-the-mill
yellow tabby kitten is worth. How about a high of $225!! (each).

If you're balking at $225, I doubt you'll be willing to shell out
triple that for a purebred...

And presumably a 'run-of-the-mill' yellow tabby that precisely met all
your criteria *would* be worth $225?

Steve.

Old April 27th 05, 11:22 PM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
(...)

Maybe because these cats need a loving home just as much, if not

*more* than
perfectly healthy cats and kittens that don't have problems getting

adopted.

Cats with behavioural problems have no more need for a home than normal
cats. There is no logical reason for adopting a cat with behavioural
problems, well, unless you believe in the Magic Karma Pixie, I suppose.

Given that there are far more normal cats that need a home than will
ever actually be homed, the adoption of a cat with 'issues' simply
means that a normal cat will not be homed.

Steve.

Old April 27th 05, 11:39 PM
Philip

Steve G wrote:
Philip wrote:
(...)

Hard time. Well, you should see what some people think a
run-of-the-mill yellow tabby kitten is worth. How about a high of
$225!! (each).

If you're balking at $225, I doubt you'll be willing to shell out
triple that for a purebred...

And presumably a 'run-of-the-mill' yellow tabby that precisely met all
your criteria *would* be worth $225?

Steve.

You missed on both counts.

As I stated earlier, $225 for a run-of-the-mill tabby kitten is too much. I
see in the local paper today there are seven different private individuals
with these kittens listed that can be had anywhere from free to $85 with
neutering, each. Come and get 'em. Yes, I was a little surprised but, I
have not seen these in person.

You presume wrong on the second assumption also. Generic shorthairs at the
height of 'kitten season' are not going to bring a premium price. My
advantage.

Purebreds are a differnt purchase. The buyer's vanity will cause him/her to
pay more. I might add that a breeder I have met would sell me a
less-than-premium Bengal kitty for $200. So "purebred" does not
automatically mean "premium."

Old April 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Steve G

Philip wrote:
(...)

As I stated earlier, $225 for a run-of-the-mill tabby kitten is too

much.

You missed the point I was making, I think. Would the perfect cat, who
happened to be a $225 moggy, be worth it to you?

Or in other words, there is no inherent monetary value in a cat. The
value is, I think, in what the cat means to you - and this is hopefully
independent of the source from where you obtained said cat.

(...)

Purebreds are a differnt purchase. The buyer's vanity will cause

him/her to
pay more.

'The buyer' is you. Is it *your* vanity that prevents you from buying a
mog?

I might add that a breeder I have met would sell me a
less-than-premium Bengal kitty for $200. So "purebred" does not
automatically mean "premium."

Remarkably cheap. The ball joints have probably gone, and I bet the
tread will be low on all four paws.

Steve.

Old April 28th 05, 12:39 AM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
(...)

Maybe because these cats need a loving home just as much, if not

*more* than
perfectly healthy cats and kittens that don't have problems getting

adopted.

Cats with behavioural and other problems have no more need for a loving
home than a 'normal' cat. Having 'issues' does not somehow make the cat
more worthy of adoption, nor does owning a cat with behavioural
problems give the owner a Magic Karma Bonus to be redeemed at some
imaginary date.

With many thousands of unscrewy cats that need a home - far more than
will ever find a home, indeed - there is no particular rationale for
adopting behaviourally-buggered cats.

Steve.

Old April 28th 05, 12:44 AM

Mary wrote:
"Philip" wrote

You're attitude is young, idealistic, and making me nauseous. ;^)

We've
got almost 40 yrs marriage and two kids raised and on their own.

If you
don't want children, get separate beds or one of you get

sterilized. Kids
change evvvvvvverything.

You know, you can be old without being a bitter asshole. I know lots
of terrific old people.

So true. We have a 95-year-old lady who spends her time making crochet
catnip balls for the shelter cats. So they're not all old, bitter, and
stupid. OTOH, maybe if you get that old and that bitter, you should be
euthanized. You know, put them out of their misery.

Sherry

Old April 28th 05, 12:54 AM
Steve G

Philip wrote:
(...)

Considering the rather un-catlike behaviors I witnessed at a Bengal

cattery
were F3+ cats were present, I would beg to differ. I have never seen

plain
ol loveable housecats JUMP INTO water

I have a mog who is happy to get soaked under a bath tap (when drinking
from it), and who occasionally sits with his fluffy tail dipped in his
water dish - apparently he's an osmotic cat. He doesn't jump in water
though, at least not intentionally.

... or run in a spinning wheel like a hamster

That's supposed to be good? Man, even most pet rats are not so stoopid
as to run on a wheel.

... or leap vertically or horizontally distances of 6-8 feet ...

Now that's common enough - basically every cat I've had or grown up
with did random athletic nonsense.

growl like like a large dog. You? I had a 12 month old Bengal run

up my
arm (good thing I had a long sleeved sweatshirt on), perch on my

shoulder
and then stick its nose in my ear. You?

I have an aby who does this. He probably spends 10% of his time either
leaping onto or off from my shoulder - shoulder to top of cupboard /
bookshelf is a favorite. I could probably train the mog to do similar
feats, but this would be a bad idea: 13lbs of razor-clawed fluff
plummeting onto my shoulder from 10 feet up ... daily shoulder
dislocation. Well, unless I wore my suit of chain mail, but I prefer to
keep that special for funerals and bar-mitzvahs.

Steve.

Old April 28th 05, 12:58 AM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

(...)

Well, no - in fact it's probably time for you to post your periodic
apologies for wallowing in the ****e with the rest of us (vide,

this
thread), and then perhaps post a christian glurge thread or two. As
such, the circle is complete.

Honest to dawg, I really think you affect this tone to make
up for SOMETHING. There can be no other excuse. Since
your intellect is at least average .... it must be something else.

Yes, unfortunately I'm only 3' tall and have an outrageous French
accent. These are things I need to make up for. Fortunately there are
platform-soled shoes, and voice coaches. And for Catnipped, there is
always drowning.

Options are the greatest things.

Steve.