YES!! Cat Killer Recalled

Old August 7th 03, 01:26 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Charles M at
wrote on 8/6/03 3:53 PM:

In article , Karen Chuplis wrote:
in article
, Charles M at
wrote on 8/6/03 8:23 AM:

In article , Karen Chuplis wrote:
http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=69553

They pulled their heads out and DID it. I really wasn't sure if they would
because these small town people are rather afraid (as you can tell as most
wouldn't say how they voted or are reluctant to say what they think) to go
against "the popular kid" (IMO). But they did it. It's a start.

Karen

I hate when a post doesn't say what its talking about. You have to click
the link to get any idea of what you're referring to.

That said, its not clear he's totally at fault. Sounds like she (the
neighbor) knew her animals were eating his feed and did nothing about it. If
he laid traps, he had some reason for doing so, i.e this wasn't the first
time
her animals had gotten in to his stuff. Did he try to resolve this
beforehand?
Did animal control try to do anything? The article doesn't say, and strike
me
as somewhat one sided for not doing so. He may have tried other alternatives
first for all we know. Yes, his actions were extreme, but were other options
available, or had he tried them to no avail? Again, the article doesn't say,
but it should.

There were earlier posts on the subject. This was an update for those
following the story. He did NOT try to resolve anything. He used steel
traps. When asked what if a child got into the trap he said he'd feel bad
but he wasn't a baby sitter. He refused to say how he killed that cats but
admitted he did. He then said "no one ever saw me throw If you are truly
interested read:

http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=56863

The highlights a

"I'm not worried about this recall election at all,"Schroder said in an
interview at his home last week. "I've got more relatives in this town than
she's got friends."

Schroder wouldn't say what he does with the cats he traps or how he kills
them.

"You just get rid of it, that's all I'll say,"he said. "Nobody ever saw me
throwing anything into the street."

Schroder said the trap doesn't hurt much, and that he has had his own hand
caught in it without pain. If a child got stuck, he said, he would feel
terrible. On the other hand, "I'm not the babysitter."

I would print it here but the article belongs to the Journal Star. From his
uncaring attitude about WHAT he caught, it's clear that at the very least,
he shouldn't be a leader in the town. He might have squirreled out a lot of
his problems if he hadn't shouted his mouth off in such a cocky indifferent
way. One has to wonder if his food business was attracting such animal
attention if he was even following good or legal procedures in storing it.
There's a big difference in trapping an animal and turning it in and
trapping and killing them himself. You are entitled to your opinion, but if
you can read the above article and think this man should continue in a
leadership role, I question your ideas of leadership.

Karen

Ah, a bit more detail. It looks now like he is indeed a cad. Sorry Karen, I
didn't mean to pick on you, but as I said in another post, the bit of showing
a link without any synopsis or explanation is a common tool of spammers, so
its a pet peeve of mine.

No, I did not know these other things. As far as I knew, the other article was
the only thing you based all this on and, personally, it seemed long on
opinion and short on facts to me. I had no knowlege of the other posts.

Sorry too if I sounded snippy. It was a while back that the first posts were
done. It just makes me soooooo mad when I think of this guy being so cocky
with his "importance" in a small town that he thinks he can do anything with
impunity. Grrrr. I just hope the charges stick now too.

Karen

Old August 7th 03, 02:47 AM
Sherry

(snipped)
You presume too much. And I resent that. I once had strays dogs come into my
yard and kill a kitten. By your logic would I be wrong if I had shot the
strays (I didn't, but I there is probably some law against that on the
books)?

Not only by *my* logic, but by city ordinance in most cities in the U.S.
Besides being against the law to kill animals (which obviously from the
article, it is in Nebraska), it's also against the law to discharge a firearm
in city limits. There are more humane alternatives.

Your "I hate people who make excuses" remark is I take it because of my
"I hate when a post doesn't say what its talking about".

No, wrong again. Your "I hate people who make excuses for animal abusers" comes
from your post which said, quote:
"That said, its not clear he's totally at fault. Sounds like she (the
neighbor) knew her animals were eating his feed and did nothing about it. If
he laid traps, he had some reason for doing so, i.e this wasn't the first time
her animals had gotten in to his stuff."

As if the fact that the cats were "getting into" his feed made it *possibly*
okay to trap and kill them--you say *possibly* it "wasn't his fault." . After
all, it wasn't the first time? Did it ever occur to you he could *possibly*
keep the feed in a more secure place? He could have called animal control?
1) its a common ruse of spammers and
2) should never be done in a post without breifly explaining (whats important
to you may not be important to me ands its rude to presume so).

Posting a link is the accept method of directing people to photos, news
articles, etc. If you'd lurked long enough, you'd have realized Karen has been
posting here for years, and is no spammer.

And I can do without your bad attempt at sarcasm.

I can do without your spouting off defending an animal abuser when you know
nothing about the circumstances. I'm glad you've learned the circumstances now.

Sherry

Old August 7th 03, 05:08 AM

Charles M wrote:
Contrarywise, of course he could be a cruel monster. The point is,I don't
know. And I cannot tell from the story. Its too short on facts.

Yeah, the problem with followup news articles is they tend to assume that
everyone knows the previous story (I don't think the article leavs it out
on purpose, just from reading the header to this thread I get the idea
it's a followup to a previous story). It drives me up the wall every time
I have to read one of those and I haven't had a chance to read the news
that started it (especially when they don't leave links to previous
articles).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:08 AM

Charles M wrote:
Contrarywise, of course he could be a cruel monster. The point is,I don't
know. And I cannot tell from the story. Its too short on facts.

Yeah, the problem with followup news articles is they tend to assume that
everyone knows the previous story (I don't think the article leavs it out
on purpose, just from reading the header to this thread I get the idea
it's a followup to a previous story). It drives me up the wall every time
I have to read one of those and I haven't had a chance to read the news
that started it (especially when they don't leave links to previous
articles).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:28 AM

Sherry wrote:
As if the fact that the cats were "getting into" his feed made it *possibly*
okay to trap and kill them--you say *possibly* it "wasn't his fault." . After
all, it wasn't the first time? Did it ever occur to you he could *possibly*
keep the feed in a more secure place? He could have called animal control?

And, if we're talking theoretical here and not what happened (cause from
what I read what has happened he clearly has no excuse), the people should
not have had their cats roaming around free (or found some way to keep
them away, like leashign them or supervising them when they are out) *if*
he had let them know that he did not like them on his land. If in the
theoretical sccenario though he just started killing them without even
asking his neighbors to please keep their pets off his lawn... he is fully
at fault.

In a scenario where the people are rude and refuse to consider the
feelings of their neighbor about their pets being on the neighbor's land,
I don't think we can put blame solely on the neighbor. It's frustrating if
you keep getting what you consider a pest on your yard and the neighbor
jsut tells you to deal. It's kinda like road rage... while it's not
excusable, it's understandable and I don't think it is solely the
responsible of the person raging. People should try to be considerate of
each other and they might noit have to deal with scenarios where
frustrated neighbor finally just has it and decides to get really mean.
Yeah, he should have kept his temper in check, but that is no excuse for
the person to not try to consider his feelings in the matter and tell him
to just deal.

And no, I'm not one of htose eople that doesn't want your cat on my lawn.
I grew up in a neighborhood where it was expected and people were friendly
to each other's pets. I think that is more like a neighborhood I want to
be in. As I told a customer coming through my line who told me he liked to
give treats to his neighbors dogs even, I'd like to have neighbors like
him who like animals and like to get to know their neighbors' animals.

But working at a pet store, and reading opinions on people who don't want
cats in their yard, has let me see it from a different point of view. For
example, some one on the herp newsgruop remarked, "Do you want my snake on
your lawn? Then keep your cat off mine.". Yes, the snake isn't as cute and
cuddly (well, I think snakes are cute, I'm one of those that like both) to
person, but neither is their cat cute and cuddly to (theoretical cat
hating) neighbor.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:28 AM

Sherry wrote:
> [...]

give treats to his neighbors dogs even, I'd like to have neighbors like
him who like animals and like to get to know their neighbors' animals.

But working at a pet store, and reading opinions on people who don't want
cats in their yard, has let me see it from a different point of view. For
example, some one on the herp newsgruop remarked, "Do you want my snake on
your lawn? Then keep your cat off mine.". Yes, the snake isn't as cute and
cuddly (well, I think snakes are cute, I'm one of those that like both) to
person, but neither is their cat cute and cuddly to (theoretical cat
hating) neighbor.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:43 AM
Sherry

And, if we're talking theoretical here and not what happened (cause from
what I read what has happened he clearly has no excuse), the people should
not have had their cats roaming around free (or found some way to keep
them away, like leashign them or supervising them when they are out) *if*
he had let them know that he did not like them on his land.

Ethically, no, the cats should not have been roaming. Legally, I am not sure
whether there is a leash law in the city. I don't recall if the article
mentioned it.

If in the
theoretical sccenario though he just started killing them without even
asking his neighbors to please keep their pets off his lawn... he is fully
at fault.

He is fully at fault anyway, in the legal sense. It is against the law in that
state to kill or injure a domestic animal. Period.

Sherry

In a scenario where the people are rude and refuse to consider the
feelings of their neighbor about their pets being on the neighbor's land,
I don't think we can put blame solely on the neighbor.

I worked an abuse call where a neighbor was repeatedly told to keep her cats
off the other neighbor's lawn. He never called animal control. Instead, he
shot the cat clean through with an arrow. When we arrived the cat was still
writhing in pain. We euthanized it on the spot. Was the owner partly at fault?
Yes. Was the neighbor justified in taking matters into his own hands? Hell, no.

Sherry

Old August 7th 03, 09:19 AM
Dave

This is an update of something that happened 4 to 6 weeks ago

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Dave wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

If you would have read the complete thred you would know.

What thread? This is a brand new thread according to my newsreader.