keeping houdini inside

Old October 7th 04, 06:29 AM
Rusty Wright

Default keeping houdini inside

This new cat of mine is a real Houdini.

Last night he jumped up onto the window sill over my bed where I often
put a fan with the window open wide enough for the fan to pull in cool
air. He knocked the fan off and then pushed the screen out in one
corner and jumped down to the ground outside for a night on the town.

I wasn't too keen about his roaming around out there all night but
before I adopted him he was an outdoor only cat in the neighborhood so
I figured he'd come back in the morning for breakfast, which he did.

I was telling a friend about this and she was telling me about how she
was babysitting a neighbor's cats and one of them tore a hole in a
screen and escaped.

I'm a fresh air nut and like to keep my windows open as much as
possible.

I'm trying to think of ways of securing my place so he can't get out
the windows. One idea I have is to put something on the window sills
that would discourage him from getting on them. For example, something
with soft spikes that would be uncomfortable but wouldn't hurt him. My
sills are about 4 inches deep.

I'm hoping others might have some good suggestions.
Old October 7th 04, 07:05 AM
jamie

Rusty Wright wrote:
I'm trying to think of ways of securing my place so he can't get out
the windows. One idea I have is to put something on the window sills
that would discourage him from getting on them. For example, something
with soft spikes that would be uncomfortable but wouldn't hurt him. My
sills are about 4 inches deep.

I'm hoping others might have some good suggestions.

It depends a lot on what kind of windows and sills you have.

If you have old-fashioned type sash windows and sills, you could either
try installing "kitty klips" on the sills (http://kittyklips.com)
or move the screens to the top and open the top instead of the bottom.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old October 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Rene

Rusty Wright wrote in message ...
[...]

You could use some of the methods for preventing cats from jumping on
your counters, such as: tape sticky side up, carpet runner upside
down, some soda cans with pennies or rocks in them lining the sill (to
startle him), or tin foil.

Rene

Old October 7th 04, 07:17 PM

Many years ago one of my cats got out through a hole in the screen and
was gone for 9 days (I did get him back.) I dealt with the screen issue
by buying adjustable screens (w/metal screening) from Home Depot and
putting then in front of the regular screens. The edges fit perfectly in
the tracks for the windows and are easy to remove if needed. For the few
windows I have that don't have tracks I just used small nails nailed
into the wood in front of the adjustable screen (one near the top and
one near the bottom) on either side of it to make a sort of track and
keep it in place. You can see an example of this type of screen he
http://doityourself.com/store/0543579.htm

I haven't had a single problem since and my cats can still enjoy sitting
in the windows *and * get some fresh air.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 8th 04, 02:12 AM
Rusty Wright

Interesting and useful ideas; thanks. My place is pretty junky as it
is so having "junk" on the window sills will add to the ambiance.

What is "carpet runner"?