Dave Y: Hebrew question

Old August 28th 03, 10:05 AM

Default Dave Y: Hebrew question

Dave, you speak Hebrew, don't you? Do you know if the word "chiq-chaq"
means "quick"? I'm just curious. It's a long story, probably not very
interesting to anyone here, but I could tell it if there was a lot of
demand.

Joyce
Old August 28th 03, 02:24 PM
fuga =^o^=

Joyce there is no "ch" sound is hebrew.

Fuga

Old August 28th 03, 04:16 PM
TCS

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:24:46 GMT, fuga =^o^= wrote:
Joyce there is no "ch" sound is hebrew.

perhaps yiddish?
Old August 28th 03, 06:22 PM
David Yehudah

Nope. Yiddish uses the same alphabet (and corresponding sounds) as Hebrew.

Old August 28th 03, 07:38 PM
fuga =^o^=

"David Yehudah" wrote in message
Hi, Joyce
I've never seen the word written, but there is no 'ch,' as in Charles,
sound in Hebrew. There is no letter in English that corresponds to the
Hebrew letter 'chet,' which is a uvular fricative (sounds as if someone
is clearing his throat) similar to the 'ch' in the German 'ach' or the
Scots 'ch' as in 'loch.' It always sounded to me as if this bit of
Israeli slang would be spelled with another letter we don't have in
English called 'tzadee,' pronounced as 'tz,' making the words 'tzik
tzak.' But as I say I've never seen the word written, so I'm not sure of
the spelling.

To confound the matter even worse, since this is street slang they very
well could be saying chiq-chaq.

Tell us the story; we're all ears. . .er, eyes.

Yes now there is puzzle for Dave and I figure to out

My instincts are that maybe it is a slang word like Dave said.

Old August 29th 03, 12:49 AM

David Yehudah wrote:

It always sounded to me as if this bit of
Israeli slang would be spelled with another letter we don't have in
English called 'tzadee,' pronounced as 'tz,' making the words 'tzik
tzak.' But as I say I've never seen the word written, so I'm not sure of
the spelling.

That makes sense to me. I've been calling it "chick-chack" as though
the ch was similar to the English ch. But "tzik-tzak" sounds more like
Hebrew to me (blowing dust off childhood memories of Hebrew school
class...).

To confound the matter even worse, since this is street slang they
very well could be saying chiq-chaq.

Street slang incorporates more foreign sounds?

Tell us the story; we're all ears. . .er, eyes.

Really, it's not that interesting. I explained it in another thread,
subject line of "chiq-chaq". I found the site while researching sites
for a project I'm working on.

Joyce