My Foodie Cat

Old June 18th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Default My Foodie Cat

On Jun 17, 8:08*pm, Marina wrote:
wrote:
I understand! My cats don't interfere with my cooking, but some of them
(particularly a certain striped person) love to horn in when I'm *eating*.
How can something be both cute and totally annoying at the same time??

Eating with Caliban around is a whole nother chapter. Argh, How do you
say no to those eyes?

I wonder if he needs more stimulation? He sounds a bit bored to me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you. It's hard to keep an indoor cat
entertained. Licky gets bored easily, too, but rather than begging for
food, he gets destructive. I know that if I don't pay enough attention
to him and play with him, I'll find some paper or cardboard object torn
to shreds soon after. I even think that his continual harassment of
Smudge is related to boredom. Too bad he and Caliban couldn't play
together. Roxy plays with Licky, but she's a lot older, so she tires
out long before he does. Does Mir play with Caliban at all?

Oh, yes, they play all the time. Or rather, wrestle. It looks terrible,
since Caliban is so much larger, and Mir is a bit of a drama queen and
screams while they're wrestling, but it's jut as often Mir who attacks
Caliban as it is the other way around.

And I play with Caliban. He doesn't like rough-housing like Mir does,
but I throw balls or mice for him or play 'hide the mousie'. He can
amuse himself for ages with a ball, just dribbling it around. He gets
lots of attention, just because he makes sure he gets lots of attention,
i.e. he's in my face most of the time. While I've been writing this,
he's already been up in my arms a couple of times and I had to take a
break from writing to hold him while he kneads my arm and purrs his
little head off. Oh-oh, here he comes again.

The Fascinating Tassle Monster is my girl's favorite toy of late.
(Leather tassle on the end of a fishing pole toy=Immense cat appeal.)
Francesca gets the rollies whenever she plays with it. Alas, I haven't
mastered the art of unblurry photos while dangling the cat toy for
her. =o) but also have two girls who are "in my face" when they want
attention and affection.

Most everything I eat, they can ignore. Except the left over milk
residue from my morning bowl of cold cereal. I could be eating
chicken, beef, salmon and only get a 'meh' response from them. But a
little splash of milk? They're all over me like cheap suits. (It's a
very LITTLE bit of milk as I know it's not good for them. Maybe 1 tsp
in total.)

Melissa
Old June 18th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 16, 11:16*pm, Marina wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
I'm not a baker but I too have to pay the milk tax. *Before I left on
this trip I removed a carton containing a small amount of questionable
(spoiling) milk from the fridge to pour it down the drain. *Persia saw
it and went nuts, as usual. *Just try explaining to the cat why you're
pouring milk down the drain!

There's also the sweetcorn tax, the tinned-tomato tax, the tinned-bean
tax, the cheese tax, the uncooked-spaghetti tax, the cooked-pasta tax,
the potato-peel tax...

It's kind of a different game here. They really aren't interested in
any kind of food that we're eating. *Except* Frank can smell raw meat
being cut up a mile away, chicken, beef, salmon, whatever. Then
here he comes. He doesn't want you to hand it to him. He wants you
to place it on the edge of the counter so he can stretch up and rake
it off into the
floor with his paw. Go figure. I think he likes to pretend it's
gazelle.
He's been watching too much Discovery channel.
And, like Persia, they like a little sample of milk or whipping cream
once in a while. Just
a tablespoon or two, but they really go after it. They don't like Half
& Half or condensed
milk.

Sherry
Old June 18th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I keep seeing you folks write not to give cats mile and I have read it other
places. Strikes me as odd that when I was growing up on a farm. Come
milking time every cat on the place would head for he barn. With a flick of
his wrist, grandpa would shoot a stream of milk ad a cat and it would catch
it. When he was through, he always filled a big pan for them. They all
lived to be old timers. Mine drink what is left from my cereal and, so far
no problem. That was before processed milk and maybe the cream was the
hairball cure of the day.

Old June 18th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:
It's kind of a different game here. They really aren't interested in
any kind of food that we're eating. *Except* Frank can smell raw meat
being cut up a mile away, chicken, beef, salmon, whatever. Then
here he comes. He doesn't want you to hand it to him. He wants you
to place it on the edge of the counter so he can stretch up and rake
it off into the
floor with his paw. Go figure. I think he likes to pretend it's
gazelle.

Heh, I think it sounds like he likes to pretend he is stealing it.

He's been watching too much Discovery channel.
And, like Persia, they like a little sample of milk or whipping cream
once in a while. Just
a tablespoon or two, but they really go after it. They don't like Half
& Half or condensed
milk.

I only use lactose-free milk myself (not because of lactose intolerance
but because it comes in packages that can be stored at room temps). Once
I'd bought ordinary milk for some reason, and I gave some of that to
Caliban, and he did get the runs. So I'm not doing that again. He
doesn't have any problems with the lactose-free milk.

Old June 18th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

PS Another fresh rolls disappeared this morning. I didn't even notice
him eating it. He must have scarfed it down in record time. Suddenly,
there was just one roll missing, and not a crumb of it in sight. The scamp!

Old June 18th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:17:53 +0300, Marina wrote:

PS Another fresh rolls disappeared this morning. I didn't even notice
him eating it. He must have scarfed it down in record time. Suddenly,
there was just one roll missing, and not a crumb of it in sight. The scamp!

Tabitha is our foodie. She insists on sampling everything I cook or bring
in to the house. If it's something she really likes, she wants a
continuous stream of small samples. The funny thing is, if you give her a
big piece she just walks away then sits and stares at you with a rather
indignant look, as if she's saying "I'm a delicate lady, how dare you
expect me to gobble down such an undignified lump of people-food!"

Fresh-baked biscuits are a special danger in our house. Tabitha and Harri
both love them, and get quote incensed if they don't get lots and lots of
samples. Harri might actually try to steal a whole one if I ever fail to
give her samples quick enough.

Dan
Old June 19th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Shiral wrote:

Most everything I eat, they can ignore. Except the left over milk
residue from my morning bowl of cold cereal. I could be eating
chicken, beef, salmon and only get a 'meh' response from them. But a
little splash of milk? They're all over me like cheap suits. (It's a
very LITTLE bit of milk as I know it's not good for them. Maybe 1 tsp
in total.)

My morning bowl of yoghurt is about the only thing Miranda's interested
in (Caliban, too, of course). When I've eaten, I scrape some yoghurt
onto the spoon and give that to Caliban while I give the bowl to Mir.
Caliban has actually learned to lick the spoon and then leave Mir in
peace while she licks the bowl.

Old June 19th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Tabitha is our foodie. She insists on sampling everything I cook or bring
in to the house.

Caliban goes through my backpack every time I come home. Sometimes he
rummages in it in between, just to make sure I didn't sneak some food
into it while he wasn't looking.

If it's something she really likes, she wants a
continuous stream of small samples. The funny thing is, if you give her a
big piece she just walks away then sits and stares at you with a rather
indignant look, as if she's saying "I'm a delicate lady, how dare you
expect me to gobble down such an undignified lump of people-food!"

LOL! 'A glutton? Me?? How dare you suggest such a thing?'

Old June 19th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

My morning bowl of yoghurt is about the only thing Miranda's interested
in (Caliban, too, of course). When I've eaten, I scrape some yoghurt
onto the spoon and give that to Caliban while I give the bowl to Mir.
Caliban has actually learned to lick the spoon and then leave Mir in
peace while she licks the bowl.

I never thought I'd say this, but what a good boy!

Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^