@#*%)^@ Cats!

Old August 6th 03, 01:11 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Arthur L. Rubin

wrote:
Anyone who keeps a cat indoors 100% of the time -- believes
in improving the quality (and quantity) of life in the cat.

Well, I'd say quantity, quality I'd not say that. There's just so much to
see and explore outside where indoors everything is the same most the
time.

That being said, I think my cats live happy lives indoors though one would
really love to go outdoors. He finds thingsthat make him happy though.

Alice

I suspect cats who've never been outdoors are totally happy with their
restrained way of life. But I've seen cats that once had an outdoors but
later ended up apartment cats, andtheir longing looks outside, and their
recurring attempts to make a break for the outside when the door opens,
makes it fairly obvious they're dissatisfied.

My sadness in seeing the cat leash laws spreading like wildfire is that
cats were the one wild animal that we domesticated without pens, cages, or
ropes. After a few thousand years of ranging around our homes and always
returning to us, now outside forces (OUR OWN overpopulation and
increasingly crowded conditions) impose decreasing liberty on an animal
that in no way requires these restrictions for themselves or for their
keepers to be happy with them. It is largely people who either dislike all
cats, or at least dislike cats other than their own, who have decided all
cats must be imprisoned or leashed, making even so little as lounging on
the public sidewalk in front of their own homes punishable under law.

But as I said, I'm old enough I remember when chickens and dogs ran loose
in the neighborhood, with few or no repurcussions. Being forced to
imprison our cats is just one more free choice whittled away from us. The
day will come when anyone who refuses to pay the Air Tax will be arrested
and placed in the suffocation tank, with our heirs still responsible for
the cremation costs & ash disposal tax. Nothing we take for granted, not
even the freedom to breathe, is off bounds for restriction & taxation.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old August 6th 03, 01:49 AM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav paghat wrote:

I suspect cats who've never been outdoors are totally happy with their
restrained way of life. But I've seen cats that once had an outdoors but
later ended up apartment cats, andtheir longing looks outside, and their

True. My Isis kitty's only interest in the outdoors is, "Why is she going
into that scarey place?" But she has no interest in going out there.
Isis has never been outdoors except when moving or going to the vet.

Gambit, who I suspect was an indoor/outdoor cat before I got him is
constantly trying to get out. He did go through a period where he didn't
show interest, but he's back to, "ooooh,open door, I want to sneak
through."

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 6th 03, 01:49 AM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav paghat wrote:

I suspect cats who've never been outdoors are totally happy with their
restrained way of life. But I've seen cats that once had an outdoors but
later ended up apartment cats, andtheir longing looks outside, and their

True. My Isis kitty's only interest in the outdoors is, "Why is she going
into that scarey place?" But she has no interest in going out there.
Isis has never been outdoors except when moving or going to the vet.

Gambit, who I suspect was an indoor/outdoor cat before I got him is
constantly trying to get out. He did go through a period where he didn't
show interest, but he's back to, "ooooh,open door, I want to sneak
through."

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 6th 03, 02:34 AM
Cheryl

In news paghat composed with style:

My sadness in seeing the cat leash laws spreading like wildfire is
that cats were the one wild animal that we domesticated without
pens, cages, or ropes.

Domesticated cats are very far removed from their wild ancestors no
matter what any one thinks to the contrary.

I've had indoor/outdoor cats adapt very quickly and seemingly never
look back. I've had strays, now a feral, and two that could go
outdoors move with me to where they couldn't go out and adapted just
fine. Meow at the door at certain times of the year (they probably
sense Spring when the windows get opened for the first time in months)
but they have lots to do, plenty of stimuli and each other for
company.

Old August 6th 03, 08:01 AM
-L.

(paghat) wrote in message ...

wrote:
[...]

In North America? No. Lynx are the only native feline, and those are
not domesticated. Common Felis domesticus is an import species - one
that was imported *as a pet*.

that we domesticated without pens, cages, or
ropes. After a few thousand years of ranging around our homes and always
returning to us, now outside forces (OUR OWN overpopulation and
increasingly crowded conditions) impose decreasing liberty on an animal
that in no way requires these restrictions for themselves or for their
keepers to be happy with them.

Just because you don't care if your cat sprays on the front door of
your neighbor's porch in 100 weather doesn't mean that it is right to
allow your cat to do so. Many cat owners would agree that it's not
fair to those HUMANS with whom they have to share the neighborhood, to
allow their domesticated animal to destroy what doesn't belong to
them. If you think that's ok, you have serious lessons to learn about
getting along with others, or you need to live on an isolated parcel
of land where you can allow your animals to run free. Living in a
community comes with compromise.

It is largely people who either dislike all
cats, or at least dislike cats other than their own, who have decided all
cats must be imprisoned or leashed,

Wrong again. Include responsible cat owners in that category. I like
my neighbors cats, but I simply should not have to put up with the
destruction of *my* property, not to mention the medical
compromization and terrorization of my own companion animals *on my
property*. Sorry, but I did not work for 15 years and invest heavily
in order to retire and purchase my dream home, only to have to spend
much of that time cleaning up after someone else's pet. I have plenty
of companion animals of my own to clean up after, TYVM. Cleaning cat
spray off my front door is the last thing I want on my agenda at 7AM
every Saturday moring, and unless the owner of the cat wants to stop
it, I will, which I have every right to do, legally AND morally.

making even so little as lounging on
the public sidewalk in front of their own homes punishable under law.

But as I said, I'm old enough I remember when chickens and dogs ran loose
in the neighborhood, with few or no repurcussions. Being forced to
imprison our cats is just one more free choice whittled away from us. The
day will come when anyone who refuses to pay the Air Tax will be arrested
and placed in the suffocation tank, with our heirs still responsible for
the cremation costs & ash disposal tax. Nothing we take for granted, not
even the freedom to breathe, is off bounds for restriction & taxation.

Here we go with the mellodrama again.

Take resposnsibility for your "pets" and you won't have laws being
enacted to make YOU do so.

-L.

Old August 6th 03, 03:27 PM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav animaux wrote:

I've had cats all my life. Not once did they miss being outside. They lived
long lives, happily indoors. It is human emotions, not cat requirements which
cause this to a happen. My neighbor felt that way and another neighbor trapped

I'm sure they can live happy lives indoors. I'm just saying it would
improve quality to be able to go outdoors and explore. But it will shorten
quantity.. For me it's a what ist he best compromise (not everyone is
going to have teh same dangers or as much danger where they live
outside). I have one cat thta's perfectly fine indoors. I'm sure she'd
enjoy outdoors but she is fine indoors and hasn't show interest (I'm sure
she'd finally go out and decide she likes it if I left the door open and
went elsewhere, but I'd rather not introduce her to something she won't
miss if she never experiences).

I have another cat who has never been let outdoors (unsupervised, every
now and then I'll go out with him a few minutes then pull him back in) and
from when I got him he wanted out. I'm pretty sure he was an
outdoor/indoor cat before. He still misses it even 2 years later and me
only letting him otu in my apartment hallway (but not all that often).

All I'm saying is that I do think it would improve quality but that they
can live happy lives indoors also.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 6th 03, 03:27 PM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav animaux wrote:

I've had cats all my life. Not once did they miss being outside. They lived
long lives, happily indoors. It is human emotions, not cat requirements which
cause this to a happen. My neighbor felt that way and another neighbor trapped

I'm sure they can live happy lives indoors. I'm just saying it would
improve quality to be able to go outdoors and explore. But it will shorten
quantity.. For me it's a what ist he best compromise (not everyone is
going to have teh same dangers or as much danger where they live
outside). I have one cat thta's perfectly fine indoors. I'm sure she'd
enjoy outdoors but she is fine indoors and hasn't show interest (I'm sure
she'd finally go out and decide she likes it if I left the door open and
went elsewhere, but I'd rather not introduce her to something she won't
miss if she never experiences).

I have another cat who has never been let outdoors (unsupervised, every
now and then I'll go out with him a few minutes then pull him back in) and
from when I got him he wanted out. I'm pretty sure he was an
outdoor/indoor cat before. He still misses it even 2 years later and me
only letting him otu in my apartment hallway (but not all that often).

All I'm saying is that I do think it would improve quality but that they
can live happy lives indoors also.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.