Help ! Cat ate a vicodin

Old May 24th 05, 05:24 PM
Julie

Default Help ! Cat ate a vicodin

I need some help quick! Long story made short. My 1 year old cat ate a
Norco. Actually, Hydrocodone. 10/325. I called my vet immediately and he
said that he should be okay, If anything ,just really sleepy. also, I could
give him a tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to made him throw up. Any thoughts?
Please, I'm worried enough about him. I know I shouldn't have left the pill
there. I just got distracted. Thanks for any help. Jules

Old May 24th 05, 08:06 PM

Did you tell your vet the pill your cat ate has acetaminophen in it?
Regardless, you need to get your cat to the vet NOW! Acetaminophen is
toxic to cats and hydrocodone in the dose you mention is nearly 10
times what would be prescribed to a 10 pound dog. Don't wait. Go now!

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 24th 05, 08:12 PM

Here is info that underlines your need to get to a vet quickly:

Treatment for acute acetaminophen toxicosis in cats include:

1) Induction of vomiting followed by activated charcoal and a
saline cathartic if ingestion is recent (within 4-6 hours).

2) Oxygen therapy if there is severe cyanosis.

3) Intravenous or oral administration of acetylcysteine (140 mg/kg
as a 5% solution initially, followed by 70 mg/kg IV every 4 hours, for a
total of 4 to 6 treatments). Acetylcysteine provides cysteine required
for increasing synthesis of glutathione.

4) Ascorbic acid (30 mg/kg orally) for treatment of
methemoglobinemia. Vitamin C should be given every 6 hours as needed.

5) Fluid therapy for possible acidosis.

Old May 26th 05, 10:43 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-05-24, Julie wrote:
I need some help quick! Long story made short. My 1 year old cat ate a
Norco. Actually, Hydrocodone. 10/325. I called my vet immediately and he
said that he should be okay, If anything ,just really sleepy. also, I could
give him a tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to made him throw up. Any thoughts?
Please, I'm worried enough about him. I know I shouldn't have left the pill
there. I just got distracted. Thanks for any help. Jules

I hope everything worked out. I would be more concerned about the 325 mg
of acetaminophen than the 10 mg of hydrocodone. Acetaminophen is highly
toxic to cats.

Old May 26th 05, 09:00 PM
Julie

Thanks for your concern. He seems fine. I'm almost wondering if he spit it
out before I caught him. I'm doing some thorough cleaning though. Thanks,
Julie

Old May 26th 05, 09:20 PM
Mary

"Julie" wrote in message
Thanks for your concern. He seems fine. I'm almost wondering if he spit it
out before I caught him. I'm doing some thorough cleaning though. Thanks,
Julie

Yay!! I'm so glad he is okay. If they are as expert at spitting out the ones
they are
not supposed to have as they are the ones they ARE supposed to have, we are
lucky.

Old May 27th 05, 12:30 AM
Hopitus

Hope your cat *did* spit out the pill and is ok now. I dunno anything re
Vicodin's *taste* except from 30 years work in ER's I know that's a fave
"ask for" med for those so inclined to do so, right up there with
"oxycontin"
and "dilaudid"!
Reason I mentioned its taste: I almost had another MI not too long ago
when - in a hurry to go somewhere - I dropped a cholecterol pill and it got
lost under bedskirt.
I left after searching for it, but when I returned, there was a large piece
of it on bedspread! And I feared the worst
for the cats....but also on bedspread nearer pillows was the other half
(whew)! I figure one of the Deadly Duo bit the huge pill in half, but the
taste (Lipidor is very bitter!) was not appealing so they just ignored it
afterward. I did
feel very guilty after that and are more careful doling out my meds since
then.....

Old May 27th 05, 11:13 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:00:01 -0500, "Julie"
wrote:

Thanks for your concern. He seems fine. I'm almost wondering if he spit it
out before I caught him. I'm doing some thorough cleaning though. Thanks,
Julie

Damn right. Scour that carpet! You can put your mind at ease and
salvage a hit of Vicodan at the same time.

Charlie