Tee hee...My Honey and Joe Kitty

Old May 9th 04, 07:42 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:31:36 GMT, KLC
yodeled:

Alright, Yowie,

when I come to Australia, you can drive me down all sorts of roads and
help me explore the place, eh?

KLC

Just don't forget, stay to the left.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old May 11th 04, 01:21 AM
Yowie

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
for drives in the country. The whole point of which was to get lost.

That
of course meant finding a road you had never taken before and seeing

where
it went. I still do it if I really need a break.

Tom *loves* new roads, particularly if they're little back roads. He has
a large atlas of Texas where he highlights every road he's been on. It's
quite impressive!

Hey! Now thats an idea!

I wonder where I can get a map for my local area that is exhaustive?

I live in a "new" suburb, that is, most of this burb wans't here 5 years
ago. Consequently there are new bits added all the time, so new roads to
explore. However, there's this one house thats been visible from my place
ever since we moved in, and it looks like it has a copper dome with a
gargoyle on top. I don'thave a pair of binoculars so can't tell from here,
and I've set out many a time to actually drive past and get a better look.
But for the life of me I can't find the road that its on, and since its a
new 'burb, most of the usual street maps don't actually have this 'burn
printed in them. Its very frustrating (but does make interesting drives,
especially now with Cary, because we are never far from home!)

Yowie

Old May 11th 04, 01:58 AM
Yowie

--
Victor Martinez

Sounds like he would have enjoyed our afternoon jaunt last Monday. We

were
in Hendersonville, NC. Drove to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. Fine so far,

tourist area and well marked. Then drove to the south end of the lake and
didn't want to back track so headed up the east side of the lake. Now

North
Carolina isn't big on road signs or highway numbers. Kind of figure if

you
got there you oughta know where you are. We didn't have a map. But it

was
a beautiful day for a drive and the rental car handled nicely. Besides if
you make enough left turns you have to eventually get back if not to where
you started, to some point along your way.

Don't know what bothered Charlie more, that I didn't know where I was

going,
or that I ended up where I wanted to anyway.

I usually have a good sense of direction. One day, I realised exactly what
it is that gives me my sense of direction - its the sun! I wa sdriving home
from a friend's plac ein Sydney whom I hadn't visited before. Sydney is a
horribe city to drive in, as the streets were never designed, they just sort
of happened, so they are all higgidly piggledy with lots of one way only and
no right turns, and very agressive traffic, so you really do have to kno
where you are going or the roads could lead you along way out of your way.
So I'm driving home from my friend's place and realise that I'm not on any
road that I recognise, certainly not the road that I used to get there. But
its early, I have the day to myself, and Sydney being Sydney, I know I have
to drive East and South to get home (eventually I'll bump into a road I
know, or see a sign to a suburb that I know my way home from). So I'm
toodling along, quite confident that I'm indeed heading east and/or south
(depending on the turns I take) when I see a sign fo a northern suburb and
suddenly realise that I actually got up quite late, and then we had lunch
and therefore its not morning, its afternoon! And that means the shadows are
ont he wrong side of the street, and for the last *hour* I"d been travelling
north and west. ACK! So I stopped into the local petrol station, who didn't
have a *clue* how to get to Wollongong, and I didn't have the money to buy
the street map atlas they wanted to sell me, so I just had to turn around
and hope for the best. As it was, within a few minutes I got to an
intersection that, from this side of the road, had signs to "the South
coast" and got myself pointed in the right direction (as it was, it turne
dout to be an express lane, and I was only a few minutes off the alternative
way home, instead of having to double back for another hour), but that
taught me a valuable lesson about where my directional sense comes from.

Yowie

Old May 11th 04, 02:39 AM
Jo Firey

. ..
Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

Not sure what your equivalent would be, but our Chamber of Commerce will
have the most current local maps available. Usually the ones building and
selling the new homes belong and help cover the cost. If that doesn't work,
call up the local fire or police and ask where you can get a current map.

I put 500 miles on my bicycle one summer, and marked off all the roads I'd
been on with a highlight pen.

Jo

Old May 11th 04, 03:12 AM
Yowie

+"KLC" wrote in message
Alright, Yowie,

when I come to Australia, you can drive me down all sorts of roads and
help me explore the place, eh?

Sounds good! And I'll have a decent car if you come too, unlike when Dave S
came and my car broke down that day so we couldn't go anywhere!

Yowie

Old May 11th 04, 10:21 AM
Helen Wheels

Jo Firey wrote:

[...]

Try http://www.whereis.com.au
Can't find any information there on how often it's updated, but
it seems pretty current for the new streets around where I live.
If someone built a copper dome near my place I'd want a close up
look too. I was most disappointed when our council recently
knocked back an application to build a Buddhist temple because it
didn't think the tall pointy roofs would "fit in".
Helen Wheels