Winter Weather Anyone?

Old January 12th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Winter Weather Anyone?

Is anyone else enjoying (???!!!) the latest round of ice/sleet/snow
we're getting this a.m.? (I think it's headed to you, Pat, if it's not
there already)

I am just praying that the weather people are wrong, because they're
expecting power failures statewide tonight because of ice accumulation.
We're at a little bit of a disadadvantage already, since the average
Okie doesn't know how to drive, or behave, in ice and snow. We were in
a "winter storm watch" yesterday. Judging from what I saw when I went
to town, that translates into "Go To The Grocery Store Immediately." I
think the whole town was there.

Indoor-cat behavior is so peculiar. They eat a *lot* more, always, when
we're shut in.

Anti-power failure purrs are appreciated! I'm already wracking my brain
trying to think of a relative who has gas heat and wouldn't mind a
convergence of 1 human and 5 cats.

Sherry

Old January 12th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

Is anyone else enjoying (???!!!) the latest round of ice/sleet/snow
we're getting this a.m.? (I think it's headed to you, Pat, if it's not
there already)

It's not here yet - the noon news broadcast in half an hour will inform me
better.

I am just praying that the weather people are wrong, because they're
expecting power failures statewide tonight because of ice accumulation.
We're at a little bit of a disadadvantage already, since the average
Okie doesn't know how to drive, or behave, in ice and snow. We were in
a "winter storm watch" yesterday. Judging from what I saw when I went
to town, that translates into "Go To The Grocery Store Immediately." I
think the whole town was there.

I need to go there shortly too. The stores here will close early if there's
a hint of ice. Incomprehensible to a native of Michigan like me.

Indoor-cat behavior is so peculiar. They eat a *lot* more, always, when
we're shut in.

Anti-power failure purrs are appreciated! I'm already wracking my brain
trying to think of a relative who has gas heat and wouldn't mind a
convergence of 1 human and 5 cats.

My heat is independent of power. The fridge and freezer are almost empty so
that part won't be a problem either. I've got plenty of candles on hand as
well as half a dozen flashlights accumulated over years.

I remember the great ice storm that hit on New Year's Eve 1998, when I was
awakened just before midnight by the crack of lightning just outside the
front door of our house in Arkansas. It had hit a big sycamore tree and I
watched a huge (at least 12" diameter) branch fall onto the top of the van.
Four adults and three children spent most of the next day cutting up and
moving that branch to save the van. It had to be moved before any other
branches came down on it. What a way to ring in a new year!

Old January 12th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

We are getting our five year cold snap. Tonight is aimed for 24F and windy.
We could even get our once in fifteen years snow storm. It almost never
gets cold enough here to snow, and when it does it is usually because it is
clear and windy (like now) but the clouds aren't that far away.

Kayla is having a confusing for her morning. It looks great out. Bright
sunshine. Lots of thins moving. But once she gets out she remembers she
hates the wind. I think it gets into her ears. So she has been begging at
the door non-stop. First on one side than the other.

The cats on the other hand are smart enough to find sunny spots that are
protected from the wind.

Jo

ups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Anti-power failures coming up. Try not to depend solely on electricity. I
have a bottled gas stove for emergencies, my oven has a gas top and an
electric oven and I also have a woodburner.
I will never be cold or without hot food.
If everything else failed I could put a saucepan full of soup on top on my
woodburner. It would take a while to warm up, true but I would get a hot
meal eventually.
I will always be warm with bottled gas heaters in one room whatever happens.
I will always be able to cook in some way, too. ~whether with gas,
electricity or on a real fire.
Hands up those who who think they are green and aren't.

Tweed

Old January 12th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:57:23 +0000, Jo Firey wrote:

We are getting our five year cold snap. Tonight is aimed for 24F and windy.
We could even get our once in fifteen years snow storm. It almost never
gets cold enough here to snow, and when it does it is usually because it is
clear and windy (like now) but the clouds aren't that far away.

Kayla is having a confusing for her morning. It looks great out. Bright
sunshine. Lots of thins moving. But once she gets out she remembers she
hates the wind. I think it gets into her ears. So she has been begging at
the door non-stop. First on one side than the other.

The cats on the other hand are smart enough to find sunny spots that are
protected from the wind.

Jo

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well, it is 1PM here and 19F. The sun is out and it looks warm but it
isn't We are to expect very low night temperatures. MLB

Old January 12th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

mlbriggs wrote:

Well, it is 1PM here and 19F. The sun is out and it looks warm but it
isn't We are to expect very low night temperatures. MLB

We are supposed to get some very low temperatures this weekend. The
local paper put out an advisory, because we moderate-climate wimps aren't
used to it. It's supposed to go into the 20s (between approx -6 to -1 C)
at night - almost unheard-of around here!

Shiral and Katrina (and Tension, if you're still around): keep warm!!

Joyce
Old January 12th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oh, I know, Tweed. To have an alternate source we'd have to buy a
generator, or a propane tank and install a stove in the house. It's
just one of those expenses in life that always got shoved to the back
burner (no pun intended!) in favor of more immediate things. In the
years we have lived here, we needed an alternate heat source one time,
and that was five years ago. 1 time out of 25 years gets you complacent
about things. But I do wish now we had one (of course!)

We lost power right after I posted and it stayed off for an hour and a
half. A lot of time to think!

Hands up those who who think they are green and aren't.

I don't understand this reference, maybe you can explain?

Sherry

Tweed

Old January 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I did remember to "catch water" this time. We don't even have water
when the electricity is off.

Sherry

Old January 12th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On 12 Jan 2007 08:17:10 -0800, wrote:

[...]

According to the Accuweather radar map, the freezing rain is in the NW
corner of our county as of 2:30 PM. Of course, that also shows us
getting moderate rain and it's only drizzling.

I live well out in the country, unfortunately, with fifteen cats and
an all electric home. I do have a kerosene heater and five gallons of
kerosene, but that's not going to help a whole lot.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead
Old January 12th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
Is anyone else enjoying (???!!!) the latest round of ice/sleet/snow
we're getting this a.m.? (I think it's headed to you, Pat, if it's not
there already)

Nope, sorry. It was so pleasant outside that I went to meet with a job
recruiter without even taking a coat. I'm sure that will change over the
weekend but for now it's about 60F degrees. Overcast, but not raining and
not cold.

I am just praying that the weather people are wrong, because they're
expecting power failures statewide tonight because of ice
accumulation. We're at a little bit of a disadadvantage already,
since the average Okie doesn't know how to drive, or behave, in ice
and snow. We were in a "winter storm watch" yesterday. Judging from
what I saw when I went to town, that translates into "Go To The
Grocery Store Immediately." I think the whole town was there.

LOL This is what I call the rush on "White Food". No, it has nothing to do
with ethnicity. But have you ever noticed if there is a threat of snow or
ice there's a run on white stuff at the grocery store? Eggs, bread, milk,
potatoes. Oh, and toilet paper (of course that's not a food).

Indoor-cat behavior is so peculiar. They eat a *lot* more, always,
when we're shut in.

Anti-power failure purrs are appreciated! I'm already wracking my
brain trying to think of a relative who has gas heat and wouldn't
mind a convergence of 1 human and 5 cats.

Anti-power failure purrs heading your way!

I have a fireplace so if I lose power we'll still be comfy. And I have oil
lamps and lamp oil so I don't have to worry about batteries, but I *do* have
batteries (store them in the fridge, folks!) and flashlights, too.

Jill