Winter Weather Anyone?

Old January 12th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Default Winter Weather Anyone?

mlbriggs wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:57:23 +0000, Jo Firey wrote:

We are getting our five year cold snap. Tonight is aimed for 24F and windy.
We could even get our once in fifteen years snow storm. It almost never
gets cold enough here to snow, and when it does it is usually because it is
clear and windy (like now) but the clouds aren't that far away.

Kayla is having a confusing for her morning. It looks great out. Bright
sunshine. Lots of thins moving. But once she gets out she remembers she
hates the wind. I think it gets into her ears. So she has been begging at
the door non-stop. First on one side than the other.

The cats on the other hand are smart enough to find sunny spots that are
protected from the wind.

Jo

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is anyone else enjoying (???!!!) the latest round of ice/sleet/snow
we're getting this a.m.? (I think it's headed to you, Pat, if it's not
there already)

I am just praying that the weather people are wrong, because they're
expecting power failures statewide tonight because of ice accumulation.
We're at a little bit of a disadadvantage already, since the average
Okie doesn't know how to drive, or behave, in ice and snow. We were in
a "winter storm watch" yesterday. Judging from what I saw when I went
to town, that translates into "Go To The Grocery Store Immediately." I
think the whole town was there.

Indoor-cat behavior is so peculiar. They eat a *lot* more, always, when
we're shut in.

Anti-power failure purrs are appreciated! I'm already wracking my brain
trying to think of a relative who has gas heat and wouldn't mind a
convergence of 1 human and 5 cats.

Sherry

Well, it is 1PM here and 19F. The sun is out and it looks warm but it
isn't We are to expect very low night temperatures. MLB

It's good and chilly where I am too, although fortunately, we're not
anticipating power failures. But it's definitely sweater and hot tea
weather around here. Purring that those in even colder places won't
lose power.

Melissa

Old January 12th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. net...
We are getting our five year cold snap. Tonight is aimed for 24F and
windy. We could even get our once in fifteen years snow storm. It almost
never gets cold enough here to snow, and when it does it is usually
because it is clear and windy (like now) but the clouds aren't that far
away.

Kayla is having a confusing for her morning. It looks great out. Bright
sunshine. Lots of thins moving. But once she gets out she remembers she
hates the wind. I think it gets into her ears. So she has been begging
at the door non-stop. First on one side than the other.

The cats on the other hand are smart enough to find sunny spots that are
protected from the wind.

Jo

I should never have replied to this thread! I know better. Normally I
really can't hear what the furnace is doing, but I went in to lie down for a
while and turned off the TV's because I'm home alone and wanted to be able
to hear the phone and doorbell.

The furnace is doing that on again off again thing that happens when the fan
motor is burning out. And it is a few degrees cooler inside than the
thermostat is set. Friday afternoon before a very cold windy weekend and I
doubt I can get a repair person out, much less a replacement motor before
Monday.

Wonder how upset my daughter would get if I asked my ex-son-in-law to change
out the motor?

Jo

Old January 12th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lucy's Mom

On 12 Jan 2007 08:17:10 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Actually, it's heading right at us too. Ice Storm Warning!! Luckily,
we have two fireplaces and a gas stove so we should be ok if the power
does go out. Think we're house-bound for the weekend though. Eric
was at work today and I just called him and told him to get his butt
home. It was 65 degrees around 4 or so and it's now 37, dropping like
a stone and raining to beat the band. Not a good combination!

Wish us luck....
--Kim, Eric and the CRC
Old January 13th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine

[...]

Yesterday and last night we got a bit of freezing fog and a dusting of
snow. This morning the temp was zero and the trees were white. The
high today was 12. Right now (6pm) the temp is 3. It is supposed to
get below zero tonight. And it is to last the weekend. shiver

I am glad the wind isn't very strong. But the breeze still feels like
ice needles. The cats have been stretched out in front of the wood
stove all day. They aren't even interested in the cat tree and pot of
grass on the enclosed porch. Of course the door is closed except when
Jeff goes out there to get more firewood.

Our power flickered only once today. I hope this storm doesn't cause
massive or even little power outages in the freezing rain and ice
areas. This deep freeze is no time to be without heat.

--
CATherine
Old January 13th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On 12 Jan 2007 12:26:18 -0800, wrote:

In the
years we have lived here, we needed an alternate heat source one time,
and that was five years ago. 1 time out of 25 years gets you complacent
about things. But I do wish now we had one (of course!)

It's not complacency, IMO, just good sense.

Two winters ago we had 3 feet of snow from one storm in southern
Indiana. The local authorities (not to mention the local populace) had
little-to-no snow removal equipment to deal with that scale of things.
This is an area that normally gets maybe 1-2 feet for an entire
winter, spread over several snows (2 inches here, 1 inch there, etc).
Afterward people complained about slow snow clearance (the city never
did plow our street).

But the last really major snowfall we had on that scale was in 1977
(and the one before that was in the early 1960s). So should the city
have had all the equipment to deal with something that doesn't happen
but once every 20-30 years? To my thinking, they had more pressing
things to spend money on.

As for here and your storm, we're luckily not going to get the ice (I
really hate ice storms), just lots and lots of rain. I'd say I'd
rather have the snow, but then I remember the rule of thumb that
1/10th inch of rain = 1 inch of snow, and remember the forecast of 2-4
inches of rain tonight and tomorrow. 20-40" of snow? I'd rather have
the rain!

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old January 13th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

wrote:
[...]

Sherry, I think we sent ours your way. Ice/snow storm here in the NW
day before yesterday PM. 4:30 no snow; 5:30 1.5 inches on the ground.
Took me 3.5 *hours* to get home (30 *min* is normal). Snow is still
here - low tonight 16F. Starts to warm up tomorrow (highs in the upper
30sF) and continuing the warming trend into next week).

Stay safe and warm.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 13th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sam wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well, thanks a lot!! :-( We don't have much accumulation, but the roads
are very icy. It took DH forever to get home, he has a 40 mile commute.
I can't believe how local network TV is just running this in the
ground. They pre-empted regular programming on *all three channels* and
are showing nothing but weather constantly. The governor declared an
emergency for all 77 counties. It honestly doesn't seem that bad to me,
not so far anyway. (knock on wood. I may be singing a different tune
tomorrow)

Sherry

Old January 13th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Marina wrote:

Anti-power-failure purrs on the way, definitely.

It's been a strange winter here in Helsinki. Usually, we would have a
deep cover of snow this time of year, but the ground has been bare for
most of this winter. The temps have stayed around 2-5 C (roughly 35-40
F). On Wednesday, it was so warm and the sun was shining in my eyes, it
felt like an early spring day. But the next day it snowed and now we
have a thin blanket of snow on the ground. It won't last long, though,
because it's back to 0 C again (32 F). A very strange winter. Various
spring signs have been reported, like the grass is growing green in many
places, trees are beginning to bud, crocuses bloom... This usually
happens in March-April-May around here.

Same here. It felt like spring today. Little snow so far. Some days it
even went above 10C.
We are supposed to be the 2nd coldest capital in the world, even colder
than Moscow.
The longest outdoor skating ring is still a canal with water, not ice
in it. People are worried
about Winterlude in Feb. Workers in ski resorts were layoff.

But tomorrow it is going down to around -15C with the windchill.

Winnie

Old January 13th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

it started raining her this afternoon, so DH went to get cat food and
groceries, and I will miss my WW meeting as it is already bending the trees.

We are in central IL and we figure another reason it was good we bought the
generator. Also yesterday we bought a ham and DH has roasted it so there
will be ham and beans and sandwiches if no power, Lee