U started it Matt

Old October 14th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Default U started it Matt

hopitus kirjoitti:

Quite all right. Once in while I don't know what *you're* talking
about.
My other post was Morse code, LOL, spelling SOS (maritime "Save Out
Ship".

The spelling out of SOS as Save Our Ship/Soul is a later development to
help people remember the letters, not the actual meaning of the
transmission as it originated in Germany. I already posted the wiki-link
earlier where I'd checked which was older, MayDay or SOS, but here goes
again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old October 14th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I was thinking S O S.
"Joy" wrote in message
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 4:39 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

What I didn't know until then was that sighted people, especially
teachers, learn to read Braille with their eyes!!! She was not amused
but
I heard her in the teachers area reading it to the other teachers.

LOL. Serves you right! I can read Braille with my eyes too. Dot one,
two,
five/dot one, five/dot one, two, three/dot one, two three/dot one, five,
three,
Hope I've remembered that right ;-)
Tell me what you think I've said. Btw I'm not good at remembering which
way
d's and h's etc go round. D is dot one, four, five?
It's many years since I had to use it. I've forgotten most of the
contractions although I think I remember "the" and some of the dot 5's,
although maybe Braille could be slightly different in America? I'd have
spell it all out like a schoolchild now, but you would at least
understand
me ;-)

Tweed

Tell me what I "said" another language not obscure - ..._ _ _...
often used when encountering pirates....LOL.

That's easy. One translation could be "Mayday!" ;-)

.--- --- -.--

Old October 14th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message

wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting comment. I really don't know (and don't feel like
googling)
which phrase is really the older one: S.O.S. or MayDay. I have a funny
feeling MayDay might be the newer but who knows?

I'm not sure either, but I think you're right.

I learned Morse many decades ago. I struggle with "q", "x" and "z", but I
don't have too much trouble with the rest.

Joy

Old October 15th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

I think it's normal for children of a certain age to want to talk amongst
themselves without the teachers knowing what they are talking about. When I
was 12-13 my friends and I discovered Pig Latin. You take a word and remove
the consonant from the front and add it to the end and put ay on the end of
it. Like Pig Latin, igpayatinlay. We learned to speak it so fast that
even when the teachers knew what we were doing, they couldn't get to grips
with it ;-)
You were unfortunate as your sighted teacher spotted you.
My Braille is very rusty now, I have no-one to share it with. dot 1, 2/dot
1,3, 4,5,6/ dot 1, 5.

"Granby" wrote in message
Well, HELLO to you too. What got us, me, in the most trouble is we
converted the alphabet to numbers and would rattle it off especially when
we got hissed off at someone. Didn't take the teachers long to figure
that one out either.
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Granby" wrote in message

What I didn't know until then was that sighted people, especially
teachers, learn to read Braille with their eyes!!! She was not amused
but I heard her in the teachers area reading it to the other teachers.

LOL. Serves you right! I can read Braille with my eyes too. Dot one,
two, five/dot one, five/dot one, two, three/dot one, two three/dot one,
five, three,
Hope I've remembered that right ;-)
Tell me what you think I've said. Btw I'm not good at remembering which
way d's and h's etc go round. D is dot one, four, five?
It's many years since I had to use it. I've forgotten most of the
contractions although I think I remember "the" and some of the dot 5's,
although maybe Braille could be slightly different in America? I'd have
to spell it all out like a schoolchild now, but you would at least
understand me ;-)

Tweed

Old October 16th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 5:17 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 4:59 pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in
On Sep 30, 2:11 am, "LesleyM via CatKB.com" u40640@uwe wrote:
hopitus wrote:

How about "cats don't like beer? Well,

most of 'em".

Dunzi loves the smell of beer and sniffs opened cans and bottles
but
as
far
as we know she's never been able to get a taste of it- she might
be
sipping
it when we're not looking but we've never seen her drunk!

----------

Smeagol and Marley like Guinness. They'll lick the neck of the
bottle, and wait for you take another swallow, so there is a teensy
bit more to lick. In fact, if you hold the bottle up, like you are
drinking out of it, and just hold it there, Smeagol will reach up
and
pull the bottle down, all the while bitching you out for drinking
all
his beer (lol).

---------------
I've never been a fan of Guinness, if I drink at all it would be
wine,
and
my cats have never shown any interest in trying to drink out of the
glass of
it. They are totally teetotal ;-)

Tweed

I have one cat (Pandora) who loves my red wine. Smeagol is the
alcoholic. If I have a Scotch (single malt, he won't bother with
blended), and walk away, he'll lap it up until he's seen. I do not
leave my Scotch unattended anymore.

The rest do not bother with any of it.

There is some kind of federal statute forbidding beer and cats.
Something like: "contributing to the delinquency of a short, furry
person" or "aiding and abetting feline inebriation state"......

smile
For once I know what you are talking about. Often I don't, sorry hop.

Tweed

Quite all right. Once in while I don't know what *you're* talking
about.
My other post was Morse code, LOL, spelling SOS (maritime "Save Out
Ship".

Oh, I thought it was "save our souls"

Tweed

Old October 16th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"hopitus" wrote in message

There is some kind of federal statute forbidding beer and cats.
Something like: "contributing to the delinquency of a short, furry
person" or "aiding and abetting feline inebriation state"......

smile
For once I know what you are talking about. Often I don't, sorry hop.

Well, that makes one of you. What is it about?

I was joking, Joyce. I haven't a clue ;-)

Tweed