cat meows with no sound?

Old September 11th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

Default cat meows with no sound?

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, UseNet exclaimed (11-Sep-06 7:05 AM):
My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

CR

I have this theory that the meow is audible - to the cat anyway. If
they can hear well above the ranges that humans can, it makes sense they
can vocalize in these ranges as well.

When Meep's making these little 'aatch' sounds like she's doing now
behind me (telling me about how good the lambswool feels between her
toes), I do get the distinct impression that there's more but I just
can't hear it.

jmc

That's what I've read as well. Even though we think these are "silent
meows", the cat can hear them--they are just beyond our own hearing
range. When you think about it, cats (and dogs and other animals) hear
and smell a lot of things that we can't, yet for some reason human
beings tend to believe that what we can't sense ourselves must not be
real.

Most cats learn what range of sounds a human being will respond to. In
this case, perhaps the cat isn't looking for a response.

One of our cats has a very high meow--so high, in fact, that my husband
can't hear it, and I hear just a little squeak (as a rule women can
hear higher frequencies than men can). But I do respond to it, so our
cat knows I can hear her. She must think my husband is just
inattentive, although of course being a cat she has other means of
making her opinions known.
-yngver

Old September 12th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JohnR66

I noticed my cat's can't meow after sleeping for several hours. Seems their
vocal chords have to "warm up". Next the meow is raspy then comes back to
normal after a few attempts!
John

"UseNet" wrote in message
My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
the motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are
present. Is this normal for a cat?

CR

cat has popping sound coming from one ear....constantly itching both ears SD Cat health & behaviour 11 June 28th 06 07:58 PM
That "prey" sound Karen Cat anecdotes 15 September 11th 05 03:39 PM
She makes her own sound effects Bridget Cat anecdotes 23 June 7th 05 07:59 PM
I love the sound... Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 2 March 23rd 05 05:16 AM
Help!!! Cats meows constantly Agua Girl Cat health & behaviour 46 April 7th 04 09:05 AM