OT My Special X-mas this year- kinda long

Old December 25th 05, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT My Special X-mas this year- kinda long

As most of you know, I have had numerous psyc hospital stays in the
past, but when I was in last August, I proclaimed it to be my last one
and I haven't been back since. Well, The 8th of December is when my Mom
died last year, so I had a lot of stuff about that, just in the course
of therapy, I went through a big bunch of memories and flashbacks right
about that time, and right now I am dealing finally with the death of my
nephew who died of a stroke over Christmas two years ago. He was only
22. And I have gone back to work and stayed at work (substituting in
the local schools - Pam Shirk knows all about that) through all of it.

So when I got my paycheck and went to have my brakes done - because it
was time, not because of anything bad, the cost was three times what I
thought it was going to be and it took up my entire paycheck - but I had
to have brakes - it wasn't an option. My priest had just told me (the
week before) if I ever get in a bind I shouldn't hesitate to let him
know - he knows I am trying to get back on my feet and sees how far I
have come in the 1.5 years he has known me and doesn't want anything to
hamper that. So, I called him crying telling him I couldn't get my meds
and no food for the rest of the month and my birthday celebration down
the tubes and I needed cat food and cat litter and I couldn't get any of
it. He asked me how much my meds were and I told him and we set up a
time to meet the next day. I was expecting he would help me with meds.
The most essential of my needs. Instead of taking the money out of
discretionary funds, he and his wife (I'm Eastern Orthodox - their
priests are married) took almost twice as much money as the whole thing
cost me to begin with out of their personal funds and gave it to me,
not, as as gift or loan, but as an investment in my and their future. I
just started crying. It meant that I could do all of the things I
needed to do - foremost of which was buy my meds.

Then, a friend of mine who only knew the first part of the story, but
not the second part of my story with my priest got me a gift card to the
grocery store I shop at for $25. Not a huge amount, but enough to allow
me to do what I want to do for my 40th birthday this Thursday (AaAcKk 40
years old - how *did* that happen).

I didn't get any official Christmas presents, but I am quite happy with
the way things turned out. Oh yeah, I forgot, as part of paying for me
to get a job and go back to school, Voc Rehab bought me a whole bunch of
new clothes right after Thanksgiving. Clothes I can work in so I don't
have to wear the same things over and over. If this is what happens in
years when I don't get presents, I will take it. Even if it is
accompanied by lots of flashbacks and dealing with my mom being gone and
never seeing my nephew again. I'm not in the hospital and lots of good
things have happened to me because I have reached out to people. I'll
take it.

Bridget - who has learned to recognize miracles when they happen
Old December 25th 05, 10:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget, this truly is a Christmas story ! Miracles really happen.

Nanny

Old December 25th 05, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:

Bridget - who has learned to recognize miracles when they happen

I'm so glad all these good things have come your way, Bridget. You
really deserve them. Don't worry about the 4-0. I passed that milestone
last year, and still feel like a kid. )

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old December 25th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

Bridget, I too have learned about the generosity and love in the human
spirit this year. I've always felt really good when I have been able to
give to people who needed it - but I was never very good at accepting help.
If it had been for just me I might not have accepted help even now. But it
was my child and grandchildren, indeed my entire family, who was in need
this year and I had to learn to accept on their behalf.

What made it easier to swallow my pride was knowing that, first, what I was
receiving was *MUCH* more than just the material things sent to us, it was
the knowledge that there are real life angels walking around in our everyday
lives; and second, when I allow someone else to help me, they get the
benefit of feeling good in being able to give to others who need it, just
like I do when I can.

I've also learned to not worry about the future, or where I'm going to get
the money for essentials, but to just trust in fate and somehow things
always work out (fate/God sometimes says no - but it always seems to be for
a very good reason).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 25th 05, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped goes:

I've also learned to not worry about the future, or where I'm going to get
the money for essentials, but to just trust in fate and somehow things
always work out (fate/God sometimes says no - but it always seems to be for
a very good reason).

Hugs,

CatNipped

You know you can get God to say yes, even when he says no
(not that we should have what we ask for, but you *can break'em down,
he's got a soft spot for fools and little children)

Merry Christmased

Barry

Old December 25th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
.... I'm not in the hospital and lots of good
things have happened to me because I have reached out to people. I'll
take it.
Bridget - who has learned to recognize miracles when they happen

Bridget,
Happy birthday and Merry Christmas.
Many congratulations on the progress you have made.
You deserve every good thing that has happened to you.
I hope the coming year brings spectacular success and happiness.
Annie

Old December 25th 05, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

How wonderful some folks were able to help you out with what you need.
Sometimes, miracles *do* happen.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old December 25th 05, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm so very happy to hear you are doing so well in spite of the painful
memories, Bridget. It can be really hard to ask for help, but before you
did that you did all that you could do yourself and more. I'm glad to
hear you got what you needed through some very special people. And being
40 can be great too, you'll see!
Lots of hugs, purrs and best wishes for you and your kitties,
Polonca and Soncek

Old December 26th 05, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun 25 Dec 2005 05:12:06a, Bridget wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:Wfurf.673449$xm3.242621@attbi_s21):

gentle snip
I didn't get any official Christmas presents, but I am quite
happy with the way things turned out.

What a wonderful message, and miracle, Bridget. Thank you for
sharing. I'm reminded "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus"

My wish for everyone here is to have that one miracle. What is
really needed to make it easier. Whether it be money to get through
a hard time, a little peace of mind for grief, someone to talk to,
making up with a family member, or just whatever is needed right
now.

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as
love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they
abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How
dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus.

"There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to
make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except
in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills
the world would be extinguished."

—Francis P. Church

--
Cheryl
Old December 26th 05, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you're getting this help, Bridget, and so glad to see that you are
recovering so well. I know those memories are very painful, but you're not
letting them drag you down.

As for that birthday - 40 is nothing! I celebrated my 70th last month - by
skydiving.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

Joy