Expectations about weight OT

Old May 7th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how much
isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?
Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if since
the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would she had said
then? I know what she would have said actually. "I have a diet that you
might like to go on.." She is obsessed about being slim. Huh, I told her
the thinner she is the more wrinkles she'll have. ;-)

Tweed

Old May 7th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-07, Christina Websell penned:
I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how much
isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?

I wish I knew!

Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if since
the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would she had said
then? I know what she would have said actually. "I have a diet that you
might like to go on.." She is obsessed about being slim. Huh, I told her
the thinner she is the more wrinkles she'll have. ;-)

*snicker*

It's just assumed that thin = good, and that if you're thin you must
be thrilled about it, and if you're not thin that you must be terribly
bothered about it, and actively working against it. Nevermind if
you're thin because you've been ill, or if you're actually trying to
gain weight, or if you're happy with how you look.

On the plus side, she probably meant well and intended to compliment
you.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 7th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2006-05-07, Christina Websell penned:
[...]

Oh, probably so. Normally I wouldn't mind if she wasn't so weight-obsessive
and that seems to be all that matters. This seems to be new thing in the
last few years, maybe she read something somewhere.
I don't buy into "thin is good - fat is bad."

Tweed

Old May 7th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?

I think that in a culture where slim=attractive, she was trying to
compliment you. Particularly since people tend to gain weight as they
age.

Lately, my mother makes a lot of comments about me being
unattractive/fat/etc. I weigh 163 lbs. She weights 230+. Teacup,
meet kettle.

I was once seriously ill and plummetted to 128 lbs. On my frame,
that's underweight (145-150 is my ideal). My close friends were
concerned by how I looked, but casual acquaintances said I looked
great. I was all bones.

--Fil

Old May 7th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how
much isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger
uncle's wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still
slim." I haven't seen her for two years.
What's that about?
Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if
since the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would
she had said then? I know what she would have said actually. "I
have a diet that you might like to go on.." She is obsessed about
being slim. Huh, I told her the thinner she is the more wrinkles
she'll have. ;-)
Tweed

Heh, maybe she's worried her husband will put on the pounds as he gets
older and since you're related, it's a good sign that you're keeping
slim ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old May 7th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:

I was once seriously ill and plummetted to 128 lbs. On my frame,
that's underweight (145-150 is my ideal). My close friends were
concerned by how I looked, but casual acquaintances said I looked
great. I was all bones.

Perverted, isn't it? I had a friend who went through a severe bout
of uncontrolled epileptic seizures, and had to be hospitalized for 3
weeks in intensive care. During this episode, she lost about 30 lbs,
and she wasn't that heavy to begin with. She looked terrible afterward,
frail, weak, ill (and she *was* all of that). Yet people insisted on
complimenting her on her weight loss. OK, people often don't know what
to say when someone's been very sick, and maybe they thought that would
be a comfort to her. But she found it very annoying. At one point she
held her hands out in front of her, palms up and curved, and moved
them up and down, imitating the two baskets of a scale, while saying,
"Let's see... fat (lifting one hand).... seizures (lifting the other)...
fat... seizures..." like it was a tough decision.

Yeah, some people have pretty warped priorities.

Joyce
Old May 7th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how
much isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger
uncle's wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still
slim." I haven't seen her for two years.
What's that about?
Tweed

One-word analysis: "Meow"........does this rude relative
know of your fairly recent medical histories?

Old May 7th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

It's her obsession, not yours. She probably did mean to compliment
you, as western culture is very thin-oriented, nay thin-obsessed.
Yeah, excessive weight is not healthy, but I find people who are diet
obsessed complete bores. Probably because they've always had to tell
me all their diet success stories. (yawn!) Weight has been an issue
for me all my life, probably because my mother has about the same
attitude toward excess weight. So in part, my body shape is a
subconscious "Sod-off, I won't let you control me" to her. And it's
partially because if something is bad for me, I'm pretty sure to like
it. I either have a lot of self-discipline, or none at all.

Melissa

Old May 7th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how much
isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?
Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if since
the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would she had said
then? I know what she would have said actually. "I have a diet that you
might like to go on.." She is obsessed about being slim. Huh, I told her
the thinner she is the more wrinkles she'll have. ;-)

Tweed

Some women are completely obsessed with how fat or thin other women
are. I have a sister who will go out of her way to tell others how big
their butt looks in the pants they are wearing, how they have gotten
"too thin" or a myriad of other personal insults too numerous to list.
I chalk it up to the fact that she is incredibly insecure in her own
self-image and the only way she can make herself feel better is to
imagine how inferior others are to herself.

And people wondered why I used to prefer to hang with guys at work...
-L.

Old May 7th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Some women are completely obsessed with how fat or thin other women
are. I have a sister who will go out of her way to tell others how big
their butt looks in the pants they are wearing, how they have gotten
"too thin" or a myriad of other personal insults too numerous to list.
I chalk it up to the fact that she is incredibly insecure in her own
self-image and the only way she can make herself feel better is to
imagine how inferior others are to herself.
And people wondered why I used to prefer to hang with guys at work...
-L.

Again may I offer my take on this (OT) *catty* offeriing by
Tweed's inlaw: "Meow"! Do nasty people really need a reason
to be that way?
Give them excuses and they'll continue their rudeness; give
them something to think about right then and there.....and
they may think twice before blatting out comments on your
appearance........mmm?