Ping Kilikini

Old June 19th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Kilikini

I hope you don't mind, but I posted the email about your problem on
alt.support.cancer a group that has been great about giving me support
and information. I'm hoping that they have some sort of idea that can
help you. Have you tried medicaid? If you don't receive Social
Security, medicare is not going to do much for you.

The owners are purring hard for you and I'm thinking healthy thoughts
and wishes for you to get the treatment you need fastest and that you
are in better shape than you think.

Pam S. who hopes that Kili will check out alt.support.cancer and
alt.support.breastcancer out

Old June 19th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
I hope you don't mind, but I posted the email about your problem on
alt.support.cancer a group that has been great about giving me support and
information. I'm hoping that they have some sort of idea that can help
you. Have you tried medicaid? If you don't receive Social Security,
medicare is not going to do much for you.

The owners are purring hard for you and I'm thinking healthy thoughts and
wishes for you to get the treatment you need fastest and that you are in
better shape than you think.

Pam S. who hopes that Kili will check out alt.support.cancer and
alt.support.breastcancer out

I am so appalled by kili's situation. It's absolutely disgusting that there
are doctors out there who could help her but choose not to because she
cannot pay "up front."
They deserve to rot in hell.
Choosing to be a doctor means you want to help sick people. doesn't it? Not
to line your pocket so you can have have posh houses and cars.
Ahhh, don't start me on this.

Tweed

Old June 19th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I don't think it's up to the doctors themselves. They are employed by
the hospital, after all. And if it's the hospital's policy to demand
money up front for surgeries, there's probably not much an individual
doctor can do about that. It's not like they could just perform the
surgery in their own home in the evening or something.
The whole situation sickens me. From what I gather, Kili doesn't
qualify for Medicare because she doesn't have children. That is
disgusting. So you have to be a breeding pod in order to get lifesaving
breast cancer sugery?!?! The state of affairs in the US is frightening.
Truly. You couldn't *pay* me to live there.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 19th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kili, I am so sorry and want you to know that along with everyone else,
I am sending prayers on your behalf. Prayers for your recovery and also
to get through the red tape that you can start treatment and healing
soon

Sherry

Old June 19th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I also gind the medical situation in the U.S. frightening, although I am
fortunate to have good insurance. Many people seem to think that everyone
should be responsible for his or her insurance, but those people always seem
to be the ones who can *afford* it. We have many people who are the working
poor -- they work at full-time jobs (often very arduous) but are not covered
by insurance. Employers often keep employees just slightly *under*
"full-time specifically so that benefits do not have to be paid. More and
more people who are not "poor" are now beginnign to see these problems as
more employers either drop insurance coverage or raise the premiums that
employees must pay. There are also those who cannot get insurance because
companies generally will not cover pre-existing conditions. It is truly
frightening -- and should be a national scandal -- to think of the number of
people who are unable to get insurance. At the same time, I think there is
some confusion in this thread. There is a difference between Medicare and
Medicaid. I believe *children* of a deceased parent (and the surviving
spouse, under certain circumstances) are eligible for Medicare. Other than
that, Medicare is based on a person's age and work history. Medicare
basically applies to those over age 65 and for some very limited medical
care for others (I believe permanent kidney failure is covered). Medicaid
and other forms of public assistance are means-tested, and people below
certain income levels are eligible for Medicaid. The combination leaves a
large number of people completely without medical resources. It is a
hard-hearted policy, and I think it is unforgivable.

MaryL

Old June 19th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
I hope you don't mind, but I posted the email about your problem on
alt.support.cancer a group that has been great about giving me support
and information. I'm hoping that they have some sort of idea that can
help you. Have you tried medicaid? If you don't receive Social
Security, medicare is not going to do much for you.

The owners are purring hard for you and I'm thinking healthy thoughts
and wishes for you to get the treatment you need fastest and that you
are in better shape than you think.

Pam S. who hopes that Kili will check out alt.support.cancer and
alt.support.breastcancer out

I do lurk and post on alt.support.cancer breast and people there have been
really helpful with telling me what to expect when I do eventually get
treatment. It's a great group.

kili

Old June 19th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
I do lurk and post on alt.support.cancer breast and people there have been
really helpful with telling me what to expect when I do eventually get
treatment. It's a great group.

We're sending you lots and lots of healing purrs.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I am so appalled by kili's situation. It's absolutely disgusting that there
are doctors out there who could help her but choose not to because she
cannot pay "up front."
They deserve to rot in hell.

Choosing to be a doctor means you want to help sick people. doesn't it? Not
to line your pocket so you can have have posh houses and cars.
Ahhh, don't start me on this.

I'm inclined to agree, although in the U.S. I blame the
system as much as the doctors. We are the only civlised
country in the world that does not provide some sort of
universal health care to all our citizens!

Tweed

Old June 19th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:

I don't think it's up to the doctors themselves. They are employed by
the hospital, after all.

Not exactly. Unless they are still "residents", they are
"self-employed", and pay dues to be on a hospital's staff.
But of course they do not set the hospital's charges (which
include anesthesiology, use of operating and treatment
rooms, nursing care, etc.). However, I think they set their
own fees for treatment, even if they are in a practice with
other doctors. I know the partner of my gynecology surgeon
did not accept Medicare patients, but he did. If they do,
they must accept whatever fee Medicare approves as their
entire fee, although if the "approved" amount is more than
Medicare actually pays, the patient is responsible for the
balance.

And if it's the hospital's policy to demand
money up front for surgeries, there's probably not much an individual
doctor can do about that. It's not like they could just perform the
surgery in their own home in the evening or something.
The whole situation sickens me. From what I gather, Kili doesn't
qualify for Medicare because she doesn't have children.

I think you are confusing "Medicare" with "Medicaid".
"Medicare" is available to anyone over sixty-five who has
paid Social Security taxes (which are taxes deducted from
their wages). Although a doctor or hospital is not REQUIRED
to accept Medicare patients, most of them do, in which case
they bill Medicare, who in turn bills either the patient or
the patient's supplementary insurance provider (if there is
one). SFAIK, there's no "up front" about it, in that case.

"Medicaid" on the other hand, is administered as part of the
state's "welfare" system, so the rules may vary from state
to state. What is considered "below poverty level" income
in one state may not qualify as such in another, and of
course other rules may differ, too.

Old June 19th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:

I also find the medical situation in the U.S. frightening, although I am
fortunate to have good insurance. Many people seem to think that everyone
should be responsible for his or her insurance, but those people always seem
to be the ones who can *afford* it.

I think John Kerry had the right idea - simply provide the
same kind of coverage for tax-paying citizens as the
government does to members of Congress! (After all, WE'RE
the ones who pay for all those benefits, plus their inflated
salaries.)