(OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Old August 10th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default (OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
I tried to get my father to prosecute, but, he was so
embarrassed at having been cheated, that he refused to press
charges.
--

And that is exactly why these creeps prey on the elderly. It broke my
heart to get calls from my parents asking be about the sort of scams

Now my aunt in LA is the only one left in that generation in the
family. She doesn't have children of her own, unless you count a
whole bunch of us nieces and nephews who look out for her like our
mom's and dad's would have wanted us to.

Wonder who will step up when I get to that point?

Younger daughter looks fairly good for the job, and we are breaking in
the oldest grandson as well.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"kilikini" wrote in message
. com...
jmcquown wrote:
kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
(A minor rant) Early this year I had Mom's number added to the
National Do Not Call Registry. She was getting a ridiculous
number
of telemarketing calls. And yes, I verified her phone number was
added to the list. The calls virtually disappeared.

Except for SunCom Wireless. Now, I understand companies you have
done business with in the past 18 months (or are actively doing
business with) can contact you about special offers, etc. And
some
organizations are exempt. But a cell phone company isn't one of
them. And she's never, ever, done business with SunCom Wireless.

This afternoon I got the THIRD telemarketing call in as many
weeks
from SunCom. Each time I have pointed out the number is on the
Do
Not Call Registry and told them not to call again. Each time,
it's
been ignored. In fact, the second time I got the call and said
this, the man said, "But do you have a cell phone?" You're
missing
the point, pal. Or rather, intentionally ignoring it.

Third time is the charm. I filed a complaint about them on the
Do
Not Call Registry web site. I don't know if it will do any good
but
dammit this just ****es me off!

Jill

I keep getting calls about a warranty for our car. I have been
telling them that I'm on the "Do Not Call List", I've asked them
repeatedly to take me off, but I continue to get calls. I've
about
had it. I've gotten at least, and I'm not kidding, about 20 phone
calls this past year from them.
kili

I loved the one where they said the warranty on my 2005 Honda was
about to expire. I have never owned a Honda. Did you tell them
not
to call?!
Jill

Repeatedly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! They
still call!!!!!!!!!

We've told them that we own a 1945 something-or-other, so there's no
warranty and they still call. We've asked to be taken off their
list each time. They still call. We're almost ready to change our
number, but, gosh, why should we have to?

kili

File a complaint. There is a hefty fine for violations.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

We have a 'do no call' list her ein Australia too.

Its Useless.

First of all, charities, political parties and anyone you've had a
business dealing with in the last 2 years is exempt.

But if htat wasn't enough, all the teleco's (and other companies)
hire contractors in India to do their telemarketing, the 'do not
call' register cannot be enforced outside Australia. You could put
in a complaint about the parent company they are calling on behalf
of, but it doesn't do much good.

I have found myself saying "no, I don't care if sick kids die" and
such. I should learn just to hang up, but like slamming doors into
people's faces and and other 'rude' actions, I find myself virtually
unable to do it.

Yowie

Remind yourself that you pay for that phone.

What would you do if someone came to your door and insisted on coming
inside to talk to you? Someone you knew perfectly well was up to no
good?

It is not, I can't stress that enough, it is not ever rude to protect
yourself.

You weren't taught manners to allow scum into your home, either
through the front door or over the TV or phone lines.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"kilikini" wrote in message I keep
getting calls about a warranty for our car. I have been
telling them that I'm on the "Do Not Call List", I've asked them
repeatedly to take me off, but I continue to get calls. I've
about
had it. I've gotten at least, and I'm not kidding, about 20 phone
calls this past year from them.

Just in case any of you out there don't already know, virtually all
the 'car warranty' offers out there, the ones that come in the mail
and the ones that come over the telephone are a total out and out
scam.

They don't know or care what you drive. They don't know 'your
warranty is about to expire'. They have no intention whatsoever of
ever fixing anything that might go wrong with whatever car you might
possible own.

Their sole intent is to get your credit card number. Then you will be
billed on your card for 19.99 a month, or 39.99 or 49.99 or whatever
the magic number is that doesn't set off alarms at the credit card
company. The name of the billing company on the statement will be
something vague.

Oh, and the number of calls you get will skyrocket.

You might or might not get some sort of warranty in the mail where you
are supposed to have the repairs done and send in the bill, but they
will have close up shop and moved on long ago.

Everyone here does read their credit card statement every month right?

It is flat dangerous to be eighty years old and trying your best
anymore.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Joy" wrote in message news:QRqnk.19176

Like you, I can't just hang up. My technique is to let them talk
until they ask how much they can put me down for, or whatever. Then
I say, "I'm sorry. I'm not able to help." Then I hang up before
they have a chance to reply.

Work on it. Is that how you would want your child to handle a
confrontation with a stranger?

BTW, back before the do not call and before I couldn't hear, often I'd
lay the phone down and walk away rather than hang up. I'd hang up
next time I walked by.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 9, 9:28�pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
om
[...]

Jo- Hide quoted text -

I hate to be unnecessarily nasty to the telemarketers because,
especially a few years ago
when the jobless rate was so high here, I knew a lot of people who
went to work for a
big telemarketing firm here. They were just desperate people trying to
make a living
until they could get better jobs. I didn't see it would help anyone to
be nasty to the person on
the other end, if you don't have to be. If the owner of the company
was on the other end, well,
that would be different!
I've pretty much got an automatic response, I've said it so many
times. I interrupt and say
"I'm not interested, but thank you for calling." And just gently hang
the phone up. Still kind
of rude, but you can't give them a chance to speak, because they're
trained how to respond
to any excuse you give them that you're not interested. Just hang it
up. They've never called
back.
It still annoys me though.
Sherry
Old August 10th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

My parents are very savvy about criminal intent to the point that my mom
drives my dad crazy with her paranoia.

I get a lot of those calls about car warranty, too, and lately it's on every
phone number I have listed. Co-workers, too. We're convinced that someone
stole the "white pages" online on our intranet because that's the only place
some of us even post our work cell phone numbers. One of my co-workers got
a call on his office phone and not one minute later the same call on his
blackberry (both numbers only posted internally on our intranet) and I heard
him yelling at the person asking for them to tell him the make/year of his
car, then asking for their supervisor name. Of course they hung up.

Old August 10th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
We're convinced that someone
stole the "white pages" online on our intranet because that's the only
place some of us even post our work cell phone numbers. One of my
co-workers got a call on his office phone and not one minute later the
same call on his blackberry (both numbers only posted internally on our
intranet) and I heard him yelling at the person asking for them to tell
him the make/year of his car, then asking for their supervisor name. Of
course they hung up.

Oh, and BTW, your info is encrypted in our databases, so even if someone can
steal our white pages info internally, they'd have a hard time getting the
DNC info. :O)

Old August 10th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:
[...]

That's pretty much what I do. When I was at university, some of the
students did telemarketing on the side, just to pay the bills, and I
know how frustrating that job was for them. I don't see any reason to be
nasty to people who are just struggling to get by. I don't know if they
knew where the phone numbers came from and whether they were in a
no-call register.

Old August 10th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I'm sorry, I get bored easily so I like to mess with them, telemarketers
that is. I let them give their pitch then turn it to me being the
beneficiary, like "when you do fund raising for widows, add my name. They
get so frustrated THEY hang up. The ones I really am nice to are the ones
with good causes and I say NO thank you.

A state trooper said never give to the causes for cops they call about.
Less than 1/3 of the money raised actually goes to the charity they are
collecting for.

The Call Marina Cat anecdotes 12 January 2nd 06 03:44 AM
Does your cat come when you call it? John Doe Cat health & behaviour 21 November 16th 05 11:54 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cats - misc 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cat community 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
What do you call?? Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 22 April 4th 04 04:57 AM