advice re moving cats to new locale

Old June 22nd 04, 08:55 PM
dan glenn

Default advice re moving cats to new locale

I posted this message at another cat newsgroup and got two
helpful replies. I am posting it here (much larger) to see
what else I can learn.

I'm moving from my apt to another place across town in a week
and will be taking my two cats, Dan-Dan (male, at least 12yrs
old) and Whitey (female, around 7yrs old) with me to a new
home where there is one cat (5-6 yrs old). Both my cats are
'fixed'. My cats are used to going in and out of my apt, which
is in a nice neighborhood, and the neighborhood I'm moving to
is nice also, but they might have to stay out all the time now,
as I'm moving to a room.

So that's the situation. What I'd like is any helpful advice about:

1. getting them physically to the new place (my cats
have never been in a car). I have a 'cat box' I got
at a vet's once (cardboard box with air holes), but it's
cramped and neither of my cats are going to 'go quietly'
into such a thing, I'm sure. What's best way of
transporting them to the new place?

2. introducing them to the new home - I'm worried they
might run off the first thing, trying to get back 'home'
and I'll never see them again. There's no chance they
could find their way back to my old place, and it would
be dangerous for them to try. So how to make it as gentle
on them as possible and most likely that they'll adjust
quickly to the new home? Should I have food out for
them at the new home when I take them over so they get
the idea that this is 'home' quicker? Should I make
sure they're good and hungry when I take them?

3. how to introduce them to the new cat - my cats aren't
'fighters'. (Dan-Dan would flee at the first sign of a
mouse, but Whitey chases mice and birds, and has gotten
into scrapes before, but not many.) The other cat is
probably a little younger than Whitey, and I'm told not
a 'fighter' either.

thanks,
-dg

Old June 22nd 04, 09:57 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:55:07 GMT, "dan glenn"
wrote:

[...]

IMHO If you move to a new place and make your pets stay out all the
time, I am sure you will lose them. If you could keep them inside for
a month, you m,ight have a chance. Have you thought about re-homing
them?MLB

Old June 23rd 04, 06:06 AM
Tracy

You have to keep them inside for an acclimation period. How can they
possibly know that this new place is home? For a cat, familiar
territory is home and you can bet they WILL go looking for it. Keep
them inside, even if it's only a room, for at least a week and then,
if you can talk them into it, try buying a cat harness and taking them
out one by one to explore the new territory with you tagging along
behind. After that's happened several times, then you can try letting
them out. Make the mealtimes very consistent, so they know when to
show up for food and really, they shouldn't be outside all the time.
Can you take them in in the evening, at least?