What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 15th 05, 02:34 AM
JBHajos

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:32 GMT, Tanada
wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money?

Nuttin' Actually, I retired a bit early on a medical from the
secretary/office manager field, Civil Service with the Army, ending up
with the Air Force. Stretch the pensions for the tuna money but the
vet bills are killers!!!

Jeanne

Old January 15th 05, 02:59 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Tanada had some very interesting things
to say about What Do you do? A Poll :

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.
I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to
a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

I'm a clerical/admin temp [beginning an at least 4 month assignment on
Thursday], DH is an out of work computer geek considering a career
change to heavy equipment operation [he's 42, so probably close to due
for mid-life crisis. I figure if a change of profession is the
weirdest thing he does, I can deal :-)].

Old January 15th 05, 03:02 AM
Seanette Blaylock

O J had some very interesting things to say
about What Do you do? A Poll :

Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Read it on Snopes. :-)

Old January 15th 05, 03:17 AM
O J

M L Briggs wrote:

O J wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Would love to hear your (fairy) tales.

So you don't believe there are scary things that haunt the underground
passages of our cities, eh? We'll see how you feel after I tell you
my little tale.

My partner and I were working in South-Central LA when the movie
"Alligator" had just been released and was blanketing the TV with ads.
I was down in a manhole, but out of sight in a corner checking to make
sure the ductwork matched the blueprint for the job. I overheard my
partner up above talking to some children and telling them a fairy
story about alligators that lived under the street.

The children pooh-poohed his tale as a lot of nonsense, so he dared
them to call down the manhole with the 'special alligator call' which
he proceeded to demonstrate for them. I heard children's voices
calling out with little oook-oook sounds and took a deep breath in
preparation. I let out my best alligator roar which was magnified by
the echo of the little concrete room!!

The next sound I heard was the screams of children followed by the
laughter of my partner. He told me that those kids didn't stop
running for two blocks!

So you see, there really are scary things to be found under the city
streets. Bwah-hah-hah-hah!!

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 15th 05, 03:30 AM
Bev

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

O J had some very interesting things to say
about What Do you do? A Poll :

Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Read it on Snopes. :-)

I'm a retired writer of books and short stories for children.
Keep telling myself that I am going to write another novel, do a chapter
then go off on another overseas trip, lol. I taught the piano for a
bit in my callow youth, learned shorthand typing (great for being a
writer) and wandered around working in legal offices, newspaper offices,
architects
etc before becoming a full-time writer. I also bred pedigree cream and
blue persian cats.

Bev
--
Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit.
Old January 15th 05, 03:32 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , O J at
wrote on 1/14/05 8:17 PM:

M L Briggs wrote:

O J wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
[...]

ROFL!!!!!!

Old January 15th 05, 04:08 AM
badwilson

Hmmm, what *do* I do? Well, I retired at age 28 to follow Dennis
around in his work. So for the last 4 years I've been a woman of
leisure. This suits me perfectly ;-) Before that, I was a technician
for Minolta in Vancouver, BC. I fixed photocopiers, fax machines and
colour laser printers. I am also a commercial pilot, although I never
did find gainful employment in that field due to the terrible economy
at the time. I've had various jobs in the aviation field, from
driving the Esso and Shell fuel trucks at the Victoria airport to
being a shipper/ receiver at a helicopter company in Yellowknife and I
was also a flight attendant (and ticket agent, and luggage and cargo
loader, and aircraft cleaner) on a DC3 in the arctic. Frankly, I
prefer the leisure thing in Thailand :-)
My husband Dennis is a helicopter pilot, he used to work at the base
here in Thailand but for the past 1.5 years he's been doing tours out
of Myanmar. We still live in Thailand because there's no way I'm
moving to Myanmar. We plan to move to Australia eventually, Dennis
will do his tours from there and I want to work part time in a winery.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I

know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes

for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently

out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married

a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US

army.

Pam S.

Old January 15th 05, 04:12 AM
badwilson

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Honestly, I don't understand what is going on in people's heads.

I've heard
people argue that marriage is for procreation ... but if that's the

case, why
do hetero couples with no intention to have children get to be

married, while
gay couples who do have kids don't get those benefits? It makes no

sense!

Yeah, if it was for procreation, Dennis and I shouldn't even be
married. We will be celebrating our 9th anniversary in 5 weeks. No
kids, no plans for 'em either.

Old January 15th 05, 04:14 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-15, Jeanne Hedge penned:
I changed career paths and spent the next 5-1/2 years working as a
software developer for a small company servicing the insurance
industry ("we're a family here!" blarg). That lasted until my
"family" outsourced my job to Manila.

That last sentence should have a BW attached! So sad, so true, hence so
funny, in a dark way.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 15th 05, 04:16 AM
badwilson

On 2005-01-14, Karen penned:

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message

I work in the Food & Beverage industry. I'm a Sommelier,

currently I work
at a small fine dinning steak house & martini lounge. I serve/

bartend/
supervise & most importantly, buy the booze & write the wine

list. --
Mathew Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat En Vino Veritas

OOoo. That explains the kitties names!! I would love to be a

sommelier.

I haven't looked up what "sommelier" means yet, and I'm not a wine

fan, but I
think working at a steak house would be a little too much of a good

thing for
me! Yum!

*wondering if she should ask Eric to bring home some steak tonight

.... *

You too??? I LOVE steak!!! It's one of my favourite foods ever. I
could *live* on steak. The worst part is that in Thailand they hardly
have any beef, so I only get it when I go to Bangkok. By that time I
have *cravings*, LOL!
BTW, I also love wine. Hehe, my cat's name is Vino.