[OT] Why Parents Drink

Old February 15th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Why Parents Drink

When I was about 16-17, my mum woke up, looked at the clock and seeing
it was 1am thought "I didn't hear Lesley come in" so she got up and
looked in my bedroom and panicked because I wasnt there so she woke my
dad up, he got dressed, grabbed his car keys and as he was about to go
downstairs he had one last look in my room. Mum had just glanced in
but because from the door you could only see the foot of the bed and I
was curled up so my feet were nowhere near the end
Yes I had been in bed all along

I woke up to the noise of my dad calling my mum some more rude names

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 15th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Beg and Grovel some more. PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!
"Bridget" wrote in message
. ..
Yowie wrote:
"tanadashoes" wrote in message

Pam S. who won't tell the duck story

Not even if we beg and grovel?

Yowie, begging and grovelling.

beg beg beg grovel grovel grovel

Bridget

Old February 15th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On Feb 15, 7:53*am, Bridget wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"tanadashoes" wrote in message

Pam S. who won't tell the duck story

Not even if we beg and grovel?

Yowie, begging and grovelling.

beg beg beg grovel grovel grovel

Bridget

Ok, the statute of limitations has run out anyway.

When I was at my first college (private, non-denominational,
expensive) I was trying to find my niche in life. I hung out with a
bad crowd and fit right in. If the area had a branch of radicals we'd
have joined. Instead we played practical jokes on unsuspecting people
and each other. I lost my favorite t-shirt because I was tossed into
the college's duck pond after getting outrageous with another prank
(which involved balloons, newspaper, a dorm room empty over the
weekend, and boredom). When we found out that the college was giving
it's new dean of students $15,000 + to decorate his office we were
livid.

Now days $15,000 seems like peanuts, but add a couple of zeros to it.
It was more than most people made a year. My tuition was $2,000 a
year. At Washington State University, it would have been $230 or so.
I did soome reasearch and tuition at that college now is in the
$40,000/year category. I'm so lucky I was dirt poor and willing to
work at three jobs.. But I digress, my latent militarianism coming
out.

We waited until the office was almost done. Meanwhile I taught our
band of revolutionaries how to catch chickens. We figured that if it
worked on chickens, it should work on ducks, right? Chickens is
stupid. On a Friday night/early Saturday morning, we dressed in dark
clothing, grabbed a couple of cloth sacks that another member of the
freedom squad had obtained. We snuck to the duck pond and hid
ourselves among the bushes and trees. The security guard went on his
appointed round at the usual time. We gave it about 10 minutes after
he went by in order to give him time to settle his arse in front of
the TV and get comfy. Then we struck.

Did I say that chickens is stupid? I'm sure Tweed's chickens are
supergeniuses, but the ones I grew up with were stupid. It took 50
minutes to catch the four ducks that we finally managed. We were
filthy, wet, covered in smelly duck muck, and had wanted at least 10
ducks. We sufficed with four. We waited for the next security guard
(they took turns on the appointed rounds that way they wouldn't miss
too much TV time) then sneaked the 100 meters to the administration
building. One of our members used his credit card (remember this is a
rich college) and opened the lock to the basement. I played look out
for this stage of the mission. I didn't complain. I never wanted to
see a duck again. I didn't care if they were mallards, woodducks, and
so forth. I watched and waved our brave and filthy little band into
the school and then followed. The same kid used his credit card on
the new office belonging to the new dean of students and let us in.
Even the rich kids in our little group were impressed, this was
opulance indeed.

Monday morning the ducks were released from the dean's office and the
investigation was on. There were no fingerprints to be found at the
scene, (we wore gloves) and the police and college security were
totally baffled. The damage estimate topped $23,000. For some reason
each member of our faithful band of pratical pranksters was hauled in
for questioning. We all denied knowledge. The insurance paid up.
The college re-vamped its security system and hired off duty prison
guards who were at least awake while watching TV. Alarms were
installed on all buildings, No ducks gave their lives in the
demonstration of the need for improved security. None of us were ever
caught (except for the four ducks. They were tried, found to be
innocent and led into a path of crime by BAAAAD students, and released
back to the duck pond) though we were suspects the whole time I was
there.

The dean of students fit in well. He used a smaller amount of the
decorating funds to make his office habitable, and put the rest back
into general funds. I got to know him well, as I served him at
various banquets and official functions. Later on he forgave me when
I dropped a rather large water balloon on his head as part of a
protest of viotation of student parking spaces.

Pam S
Old February 15th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

Yowie wrote:
[...]

What a bunch of "brats".

Old February 15th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 15, 9:27*am, tanadashoes wrote:

Ok, the statute of limitations has run out anyway.

That needed a BW!

And we thought we were bad for carefully putting the deputy
headteachers car on top of the garage!

Old February 15th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
[...]

You got me beat, the worst I ever did was put shaving cream on the phone
for my roommate to stick to her ear.

Bridget
Old February 15th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Yowie wrote:
[...]

What a bunch of "brats". *- Hide quoted text -

Yes we were a bunch of brats, but we were idealistic brats.

Pam S.
Old February 16th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default [OT] Why Parents Drink

"Yowie" wrote in message
"jofirey" wrote in message

We won't get into some of the other stunts we pulled on my parents. You
would never sleep again.

Oh no you don't! You have to tell now!

Yowie

Trust me, there are things the mother of a toddler doesn't need to know -
yet.

But a sample. My brother had his front teeth knocked out probably four or
five times before the just ended up with removable ones.

First time was on Christmas Morning. I would have been about seven so he
would have been about thirteen. I got roller skates for Christmas. Now I
believed all my life my brother could pretty near walk on water. Even after
I was old enough to know it couldn't be true. It gave him a lot to live up
to. So he had taught me how to talk and how to walk and even pretty much
how to think. Time to teach me how to roller skate. To his lifelong
dismay, while he was very athletic, his baby sister was an absolute klutz.
Finally he had me on my feet and dealing with the basics. So decides to
show me the finer points I could look forward to in the future. This
included skating backwards. Downhill. On a rough asphalt road. On
Christmas Day.

Folks had a heck of a time getting a dentist to see him that afternoon, as
we didn't even yet have a telephone.

Most of the rest of the trauma to his front teeth involved football.

But he lost an eye while messing around with the spring inside of his
government issue ball point pen while sitting at his desk one day. I'd have
loved to see the explanation on that workers compensation report. So he had
a glass eye most of his adult life. I used to tell my kids not to worry
about flying. Planes were safe, and to save the worry for when it mattered
because my brother was picking us up at the airport.

It didn't stop him from breaking several ribs on more than one occasion
while playing football - in his forties.

Then there was the time I got shot in the eye with a spitwad while we were
messing around with some pretty high powered slingshots we managed to build
with stuff we found in my dad's workshop. At least that was a normal
weekday and once my folks got home they found an eye doctor still in his
office. I only had to wear the patch for a few months.

Once he could drive, and then once I could drive it only got worse.

He always looked out for me. Of course I'd probably have needed a lot less
looking out for if I hadn't spent most of my time living up to his example.

Jo

(From my email)

Moms know best

One day my mother was out and my dad was in charge of me and my
brother who is four years older than I am. I was maybe 1 and a half
years old and had just recovered from an accident in which my arm had
been broken among other injuries.

Someone had given me a little 'tea set' as a get-well gift and it was
one of my favourite toys. Daddy was in the living room engrossed in
the evening news and my brother was playing nearby in the living room
when I brought Daddy a little cup of 'tea', which was just water.

After several cups of tea and lots of praise for such yummy tea, my
Mom came home. My Dad made her wait in the living room to watch me
bring him a cup of tea, because it was 'just the cutest thing!!'

My Mom waited, and sure enough, here I come down the hall with a cup
of tea for Daddy and she watches him drink it up, then says, 'Did it
ever occur to you that the only place that baby can reach to get
water is the toilet??'

And sure enough....!! !

Old February 16th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 16, 10:00*am, "jofirey" wrote:

* * * My Mom waited, and sure enough, here I come down the hall with a cup
* * * of tea for Daddy and she watches him drink it up, then says, 'Did it
* * * ever occur to you that the only place that baby can reach to get
* * * water is the toilet??'

* * * And sure enough....!! !

Okay single worse thing I did to my poor parents (and I was the good
one- my brothers broke bones, one of them swallowed an overdose of
junior aspirin aged 3 which he now acribes to an "early attempt to get
out of Romford", he bears our home town no love at all (Can't say I
blame him)- at my mum's funeral we were driving to the crematorium in
the car following the hearse and we had to go past some of our old
grounds and he was staring fixedly out of the back window so my other
brother said "Thinking of the old days?" and got the reply "Nah just
thinking thank f**k I will never have to see this place again")

Twas Mother's Day and I woke up real early and decided I would make
mum breakfast in bed so I went into the kitchen and got started.
Please bear in mind that I was about 4. Somehow despite the odds I
managed to fill the kettle, switch the gas on and put the kettle on
the ring even through I wasn't quite tall enough to reach it.

Finally the kettle boiled, I had somehow made toast and even had the
teapot ready and the tray laid...I reached up and picked up the
kettle. As I did so it tipped a bit and water spilled out

Guess who put her hand under the water to try and stop it

To this day some of the skin on my right hand is descended from skin
grafted from my buttocks

Old February 18th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Yowie wrote:

Growing more worried as he heard a loud noise in the background through the
earpiece on the phone, the boss asked, "What is that noise?"

" A helicopter " answered the whispering voice.

"What is going on there?" demanded the boss, now truly apprehensive.
Again, whispering, the child answered, " The search team just landed a
helicopter ."

Alarmed, concerned and a little frustrated the boss asked, "What are they
searching for?"

Still whispering, the young voice replied with a muffled giggle... " ME ."

Yikes - LOL!

Susan M
Otis and Chester