[OT] Worms

Old December 19th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] Worms

Cary wishes to know how worms drink. I suggested "through a straw" but he
just said in a totally patronising way "Don't be so silly, Mummy!".

So, do you any of you folks know how worms drink?

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old December 19th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Yowie wrote:
Cary wishes to know how worms drink. I suggested "through a straw" but he
just said in a totally patronising way "Don't be so silly, Mummy!".

So, do you any of you folks know how worms drink?

It has been awhile since my invertebrate zoology classes, but if
I'm not mistaken in my remembries, they simply absorb water
through their skins, along with taking it up with the material
they ingest through their mouths.

Worms gotta stay moist, I know that.

--
Deborah

Come to think of it, I believe the capacity for
joy is the biggest free lunch of all. Stef Maruch
Old December 19th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

This is why I was glad when my kids grew up and got less inquisitive about
things about things I had no clue about. Lots of luck. Tell him to google
it, somehow I bet he could!!!!!

Old December 20th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:46:33 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

Cary wishes to know how worms drink. I suggested "through a straw" but he
just said in a totally patronising way "Don't be so silly, Mummy!".

So, do you any of you folks know how worms drink?

They've got mouths. I've never seen a worm drink, though.

Bud
Old December 20th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Phoenix" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
Cary wishes to know how worms drink. I suggested "through a straw"
but he just said in a totally patronising way "Don't be so silly,
Mummy!".

So, do you any of you folks know how worms drink?

It has been awhile since my invertebrate zoology classes, but if I'm
not mistaken in my remembries, they simply absorb water through
their skins, along with taking it up with the material they ingest
through their mouths.

Worms gotta stay moist, I know that.

But not too moist. When it rains they come to the top of the soil and
'drown'.

(Still a bit freaked over a bunch of inch long worms that came up and
were crawling across our patio after a recent overdue storm. They
looked like they wanted to invade the house and made me feel like I
was losing my mind)
Jo

Old December 20th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jofirey wrote:

But not too moist. When it rains they come to the top of the soil
and 'drown'.

(Still a bit freaked over a bunch of inch long worms that came up and
were crawling across our patio after a recent overdue storm. They
looked like they wanted to invade the house and made me feel like I
was losing my mind)

Oh but Miranda loves the worms that come up when it rains! Stringy
thingies that move all by themselves!

Here she is, tagging one of them:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_0254.jpg

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 20th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Yowie wrote:
Cary wishes to know how worms drink. I suggested "through a straw" but he
just said in a totally patronising way "Don't be so silly, Mummy!".

So, do you any of you folks know how worms drink?

Yowie

I have no idea. It sounds like you have a smart kid! Best wishes. MLB
Old December 20th 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Oh but Miranda loves the worms that come up when it rains! Stringy
thingies that move all by themselves!

Here she is, tagging one of them:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_0254.jpg

I was just having a little fantasy (in response to the Yowlet's question)
of worms heading down to the watering hole together, putting their little
heads in the water for a drink, while one keeps watch for predators. I was
thinking birds. But I guess I have to include Miranda, too.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 20th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Marina" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

But not too moist. When it rains they come to the top of the soil
and 'drown'.

(Still a bit freaked over a bunch of inch long worms that came up and
were crawling across our patio after a recent overdue storm. They
looked like they wanted to invade the house and made me feel like I was
losing my mind)

Oh but Miranda loves the worms that come up when it rains! Stringy
thingies that move all by themselves!

Here she is, tagging one of them:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_0254.jpg

She's so lovely-- that's such a cute pic.
The best toys are the ones that move by themselves, aren't they? Mousies,
buggies, wormies . . .

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old December 20th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Marina wrote:

Oh but Miranda loves the worms that come up when it rains! Stringy
thingies that move all by themselves!

Here she is, tagging one of them:

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IMG_0254.jpg

I was just having a little fantasy (in response to the Yowlet's question)
of worms heading down to the watering hole together, putting their little
heads in the water for a drink, while one keeps watch for predators. I was
thinking birds. But I guess I have to include Miranda, too.

LOL! I'm afraid it's more boring than that, they do indeed absorb water
though their skin.
They'll get well hydrated here in the UK. I'm surprised I haven't evolved
to have webbed feet.
When N was here she was amazed "you have so many earthworms in your soil.."
Because I have clay and she has sand. I'm surprised she can grow anything
on the grey sand that passes as soil there.

Tweed

Wiggle worms cybercat Cat health & behaviour 8 July 31st 06 10:22 AM
widcat with worms. Boner the Cat Cat health & behaviour 2 April 28th 06 01:41 PM
Cat - Worms [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 14 November 21st 05 07:57 PM
worms kevt Cat health & behaviour 3 August 28th 04 12:59 AM
Gizmo and Worms.... Gizela Cat anecdotes 6 December 20th 03 12:30 AM