I was picked on - OT

Old July 26th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default I was picked on - OT

I thought I'd start a new thread as a result of some of the things that have
been said in the "chopped liver" thread.

When I was in school, I was picked on because I was younger than nearly all
of my classmates. I was called "the baby" and jeered at on a regular basis.
I was already extremely shy, and that didn't help. I did do well in school,
and that probably added fuel to the fire. I shall never stop being grateful
to my parents for refusing to let me be advanced two grades in elementary
school. That would have driven me so far into my shell I never would have
found my way out.

I got teased about my name, too. That was more good-natured, but it still
bothered me because I didn't want people looking at me.

I started this thread, not to talk about myself, but because several people
in that other thread mentioned being picked on in school. I thought it
would be interesting to see just how many of us did fit into that category,
and if there is anyone who wasn't picked on.

Joy

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old July 26th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"Joy" wrote in
:

[...]

I too was picked on because of my name. First name was hyphenated with a
horrible non-girl name, and my last name was turned into something else.
When I finally changed schools I got rid of the hyphenated part, so I only
had to deal with the last name teasing. My parents were horrified that I
dropped part of my name and couldn't understand why I did that even though
I told them why. They thought it was a smart idea to give me the name they
did. Their nickname for me was even worse - invented - so I never brought
any friends home.

Bobble
Old July 26th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 26/07/2010 10:30 AM, Joy wrote:
[...]

"Me too"

I cam from England to Australian when I was 4. I had done half a year of
school in England at the time (England's school year starts half way
through the calendar year, Australian school years start at the start of
the calendar year), however, I could also read remarkably well, so
instead of putting me with my age peers into kindergarten, they decided
to put me up into first class because I already knew most of the stuff I
would have learnt in kindy.

Alas, this was the curse that haunted me through school - I was too
young to cope with my peers.

I was - an am - remarkably tall. I was close to 6 foot tall in the last
year of elementary (we call it primary) school. That extra spurt of
growth at the age of 11, plus not being emotionally mature enough to
deal with the changes everyone else was going through, plus being rather
sensitive meant I really should have repeated my last year of elementary
school.

But I was also bright - which meant they thought that my academic work
would suffer if I had to do it over again (no-one at the time suggested
I changed schools... this is what would now be done).

So by the time we all hit highschool I was awkward, gangly, ridiculously
tall, hopeless at sport, plus immature, exceptionally sensitive and top
of the class - may as well tattooed 'Kick me' on my back.

I endured 4 years of bullying with my parents just saying 'ignore it,
they just want attention' - until I just snapped one day and hit back. I
thinkthe bully was only a little more surprised than I was - it wasn't a
*good* punch or anything, but it did show that I was no longer going to
put up with it.

It was a total mystery to me as to whey the head bully that I'd gone and
punched then wanted to be friends with me, and what still hurts me a
little is that I remember lying in bed that night overhearing my parents
discussing my behaviour (since I'd gotten into trouble for hitting
someone) and my mother saying something along the lines of "What on
earth took her so long to hit back?" If she'd only done that at the
start of highschool..." and I felt like screaming at her "BECAUSE YOU
TOLD ME TO JUST IGNORE THEM!!!!"

Therefore my advice to The Yowlet will be somewhat different to my
parents. If some bully tries to pick on him, he has my full permission
to sock that bully as hard as he possibly can, for as long as it takes
for the Bully to stop *and no more*. If I hear that he's been the
instigator, though, or continued beyond the preventative stage, 6 levels
of hell will descend upon his sorry little tuchas. But I am quite fine
with him defending himself and his friends - he'll only have to do it
once or twice for the bullies to find a softer target.

Yowie
Old July 26th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobble" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, the worst that happened regarding my name was that the kids would
start singing "Joy to the World" when they saw me coming. Well, that and
the fact that my maiden name was more common as a boy's name than a last
name. When I was called into the office to be measured for my senior
sweater in high school, the counselor looked at me in astonishment and said,
"You're a girl!" My name had been written on the slip last name first.
There was a boy in the school whose last name was Joy, so she had assumed
that I was his brother.

My worst suffering was from being little, young, shy and smarter than many
of my classmates.

Joy

Old July 26th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I was always smaller than my classmates, but my mother was tall. At junior
high graduation (9th grade), the students were lined up by height. There
was one boy who was taller than she was, so she was second in line. She
always suffered because of that.

I wouldn't live through my teens again for anything, and most of the people
I know wouldn't either.

Joy

Old July 26th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Yowie wrote:
I cam from England to Australian when I was 4. I had done half a year of
school in England at the time (England's school year starts half way
through the calendar year, Australian school years start at the start of
the calendar year), however, I could also read remarkably well, so
instead of putting me with my age peers into kindergarten, they decided
to put me up into first class because I already knew most of the stuff I
would have learnt in kindy.

Our childhoods were sort of similar! I came to the US from Japan
when I was 4, and when I was enrolled in kindergarten, I was the only
one who could read, although I couldn't speak English well at that
point (I'd studied written English formally before entering school).

But boys, I think, grow up in a different culture than girls. There
was always horseplay and a low level of mostly harmless casual
violence among us. But I don't condone it spilling over the gender
line - there's no cause for that.
Old July 26th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

In junior high, I had a friend was, to be polite, a total **** up. He had
an enemy list as long as my arm. When he walked down the halls, people
lined up to hit him.

I really don't remember how we came to be friends, but he was my buddy.

I would walk between him and the Wall o' Doom, and took all the punches.
They didn't hurt me. There was one HUGE guy who took exception to my help,
and he tormented me all year. I just ignored him because his punches didn't
hurt. One day, I found some guy sitting on my friend's chest and whaling
away at him - I picked the guy up by his shirt collar, punched him and
dropped him.

The payback? At the end of the year, the huge bully apologized to me.
Three years later, my buddy comes back into town and said he straightened
up his life because I stood up for him, "for no apparent reason but
friendship."

I'm glad that it made a difference to two people, but it ****es me off
that this stuff happens.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old July 26th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Joy wrote:
[...]

I got it for my name, pre-cooking spray, thank Bast. But my last name
more than made up for it. Fortunately one of my ancestors changed it to
Tiegs or it would have been even worse. I was one of the "Tiegs Pigs"
until my father had his heart attack, was fired from his job as a
result, and we moved to another town so that we could be closer to my
mom's work.

In grade school, another girl and I took turns being the "smallest" kid
in class. It sucked. Then my darling sibling let slipped that my nick
name at home was "Shorty" I also got it for my middle name, being
called June bug a lot. I'm getting whiny, aren't I?

I was also not an athlete which made life a little less fun and my
father was a farm worker which was considered less than prestigious.

Then I turned into an English/literature geek. I'd read my way through
the grade school library before I was in 4th grade. I was the only kid
in grade school with a pass to the high school library. Did I mention
that I was born after the, then, cut off date. My parents challenged it
and won. I'm still not sure that I've forgiven them.

Then, adolescence and being fed like a Strasbourg goose caught up to me.
I got it for my weight, out dated clothing, hand me down shoes and so
on. Yeah, I took it in the shorts.

However, teachers liked me. I tested well on those bubble chart tests,
and was able to get away from RL with books. I also discovered music
and drove the old man nuts with Bach and Beethoven. I'm the reason he
banned everything except country music in the house. I wish I'd
discovered the Beetles, Monkeys, and so forth before the ban went into
effect.

Later, I found that being picked on has actually helped me with my own
student and being sensitive to their problems and needs. I am rather
proud of taking lemons and making limeade.

Pam S.
Old July 26th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 25, 10:25*pm, tanadashoes wrote:
Joy wrote:
[...]

Pam S.- Hide quoted text -

I got picked on because of a childhood nickname that followed me on
to school, thanks to my sister. I was a tiny baby and toddler, and
once my grandfather said, "Well, you're no bigger than a bug." That's
all it took.
From then on I was Sherry Bug, Bugs, Bugsley or Bugs Bunny. The fact
that my two front teeth were huge and came in first didn't help. Then
there were the "short" jokes. "You should sue the city for building
the sidewalk so close to your butt."
But like Pam, teachers liked me, and that's half the battle in grade
school.
I wasn't particularly smart, certainly not analytical, but I had a
real gift for memorization. When you're blessed with that, you can
fake your way through most anything except general math.
I wouldn't go back to junior high for all the proverbial tea in China.

Sherry
Old July 26th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Joy wrote:
[...]

From then on I was Sherry Bug, Bugs, Bugsley or Bugs Bunny. The fact
that my two front teeth were huge and came in first didn't help. Then
there were the "short" jokes. "You should sue the city for building
the sidewalk so close to your butt."
But like Pam, teachers liked me, and that's half the battle in grade
school.
I wasn't particularly smart, certainly not analytical, but I had a
real gift for memorization. When you're blessed with that, you can
fake your way through most anything except general math.
I wouldn't go back to junior high for all the proverbial tea in China.

Sherry

I studied the system and figured out that if you raise your hand and
have the correct answer the first week or two of school, the teachers
will generally ignore you the rest of the year. Of course you have to
keep the bluff up, but that is really easy to do.

Pam S