Opinions on sick cat wanted please.

Old May 24th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

Default Opinions on sick cat wanted please.

A friend has a cat about 9 years old that has been loosing wait for
the last 3 or 4 months, throwing up several times a day, eats like a
horse and is always hungry, looks like blood in stool occasionally and
stool is usually soft and very smelly. He is on assistance and can not
afford a large vet bill. I would love to help him but frankly I can
not afford it either right now and am on verge of having to stop
feeding my strays every day. The only other option I can see is for
him to have it PTS instead of having it having it suffer. Opinion
please mainly on having it PTS but willing to listen to any comments.
Thanks.
Old May 24th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/24/2013 11:50 AM, kraut / larry stark wrote:
A friend has a cat about 9 years old that has been loosing wait for
the last 3 or 4 months, throwing up several times a day, eats like a
horse and is always hungry, looks like blood in stool occasionally and
stool is usually soft and very smelly. He is on assistance and can not
afford a large vet bill. I would love to help him but frankly I can
not afford it either right now and am on verge of having to stop
feeding my strays every day. The only other option I can see is for
him to have it PTS instead of having it having it suffer. Opinion
please mainly on having it PTS but willing to listen to any comments.
Thanks.

I cannot help with the vet bill. I'm no expert but the symptoms sound a
lot like hyperthyroidism. It requires medication and no, it's not
cheap. I certainly wouldn't want the cat to suffer. It comes down to a
quality of life issue. If the owner can't afford to care for it I'd
first try to find another home for the cat. Nine years isn't all that old.

Jill
Old May 24th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"kraut / larry stark" wrote in message
A friend has a cat about 9 years old that has been loosing wait for
the last 3 or 4 months, throwing up several times a day, eats like a
horse and is always hungry, looks like blood in stool occasionally and
stool is usually soft and very smelly. He is on assistance and can not
afford a large vet bill. I would love to help him but frankly I can
not afford it either right now and am on verge of having to stop
feeding my strays every day. The only other option I can see is for
him to have it PTS instead of having it having it suffer. Opinion
please mainly on having it PTS but willing to listen to any comments.
Thanks.

Is there a charity like the PDSA, in America, where you can take your
animals for veterinary care when you can't afford private treatment?
Because the cat does need to be looked at by a vet from what you've
described.
Some vets will allow monthly payments, maybe that is a possibility?
I hate the idea that a cat can be cured but there is no money for the vet.

When I was working I built up a fund for veterinary treatment by putting
away a certain amount per month and refused to touch it for anything else.
I know this is not always possible.

My suggestion is that your friend tries local animal charities for help,
otherwise..

Tweed

Old May 25th 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

A friend has a cat about 9 years old that has been loosing wait for
the last 3 or 4 months, throwing up several times a day, eats like a
horse and is always hungry, looks like blood in stool occasionally and
stool is usually soft and very smelly. He is on assistance and can not
afford a large vet bill.

I'm no expert but the symptoms sound a lot like hyperthyroidism.
It requires medication and no, it's not cheap.

Our Chloe is on medication for hyperthyroidism (for similar symptoms).
It is pretty cheap. What isn't cheap is the tests and consultations.

Old May 25th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:49 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Well I have the cat now and will most likely get it into the vet ASAP
to at least see what the vet has to say and take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Old May 25th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/24/2013 8:32 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
A friend has a cat about 9 years old that has been loosing wait for
the last 3 or 4 months, throwing up several times a day, eats like a
horse and is always hungry, looks like blood in stool occasionally and
stool is usually soft and very smelly. He is on assistance and can not
afford a large vet bill.

I'm no expert but the symptoms sound a lot like hyperthyroidism.
It requires medication and no, it's not cheap.

Our Chloe is on medication for hyperthyroidism (for similar symptoms).
It is pretty cheap. What isn't cheap is the tests and consultations.

I'm one of the "lucky" (insert a big HA!) here owned by Persia who
turned out to be allergic to the hyperthyroid medication. The medicine
itself wasn't all that expensive but getting the coorect diagnosis *did*
require a lot of tests. Then it turned out she couldn't take the
medication. Aaaaaah! The allergic reaction resulted in more tests and
yet another overnight stay. After that, the only treatment option was
radioactive isotope therapy. $900USD + boarding for 2 weeks. I also
had to take her 130 miles away to a facility licensed to handle
radioactive isotopes. None of it was cheap. She was worth it, the
symptoms vanished. I'm lucky I could afford to do all of that.

Three years later she's got (still fairly mild) kidney disease. The
regular checkups and prescription food isn't cheap.

Jill
Old May 25th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I can't remember the name of the specific test but please ask them to
check for hyperthyroidism. Unless the cat turns out to be allergic to
the medication (rare, but the way things work in my world, mine was)
it's not difficult to treat. The medication is available in gel form,
pre-measured and rubbed gently into the ear. Much easier than pilling!
Good luck and thank you for taking on the responsibility.

Jill
Old May 25th 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"kraut / larry stark" wrote in message

Well I have the cat now and will most likely get it into the vet ASAP
to at least see what the vet has to say and take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

~~~~~~
Thank you for taking care of this little kitty. It is treatable if it is
hyperthyroidism.

MaryL

Old May 27th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

It is nice of you to help a friend... Hope it is going to be ok....

Cat euthanization opinions wanted. kraut Cat anecdotes 100 June 21st 09 06:24 PM
Opinions please/sick cat (?) Gene Martin Cat health & behaviour 4 December 31st 06 06:14 AM
Opinions, please Nina K Pettis Cat anecdotes 46 November 4th 04 07:31 PM
Opinions please Yoj Cat anecdotes 51 October 29th 04 07:56 PM
opinions on cat's weight wanted Judy F Cat health & behaviour 42 January 16th 04 03:09 PM