Cat Diet using Kitten Food?

Old May 4th 04, 12:30 PM
Mike

Default Cat Diet using Kitten Food?

My grandparents have a male, neutered cat that is about 5 years old.
He had a stroke a couple years ago and never fully recovered so he
stays indoors. This cat has gained so much weight and now weighs 25
pounds. My grandmother finally took him to the vet and the vet put him
on one of the Hill's dry kitten foods to lose weight because it's low
in carbs and high in protein.

Is this ok for this cat to be on? It seems like one of the
prescription diets might be better and/or safer. Any thoughts or
opinions?
I just want to make sure this cat gets the best treatment possible. I
plan on "adopting" him from my grandparents before the end of the
year. They like him but they know they can't give him all the special
care he needs. He's also no longer happy being there anyway.
Old May 4th 04, 04:10 PM
Joe Canuck

Mike wrote:

My grandparents have a male, neutered cat that is about 5 years old.
He had a stroke a couple years ago and never fully recovered so he
stays indoors. This cat has gained so much weight and now weighs 25
pounds. My grandmother finally took him to the vet and the vet put him
on one of the Hill's dry kitten foods to lose weight because it's low
in carbs and high in protein.

Is this ok for this cat to be on? It seems like one of the
prescription diets might be better and/or safer. Any thoughts or
opinions?
I just want to make sure this cat gets the best treatment possible. I
plan on "adopting" him from my grandparents before the end of the
year. They like him but they know they can't give him all the special
care he needs. He's also no longer happy being there anyway.

Your options:

1) Seek a 2nd opinion from another vet. Hopefully one that is
experienced and deals with felines only.

2) Ask for a nutritional consultation from the folks below:
http://www.petdiets.com/

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old May 4th 04, 06:42 PM
Jon C

1) Any dry food is going to be high carb compared to a wet food.
2) Kitten foods are far higher in calories than regular cat or light foods,
leading to weight gain.

I can't imagine what the vet was thinking if he suggested that. It's not a
good idea.

om...