Strange peeing behaviors

Old June 24th 04, 07:36 PM
Holly

Default Strange peeing behaviors

My 2 year-old cat is displaying some strange peeing behaviors.
First of all, she will not pee when I am away from home. Many times
it is 12 hours or more before she pees (I've been keeping track) and
she will not go until after I come home from work. When I am home, so
usually pees about every 6-7 hours, sometimes more frequently.
Secondly, she has the habit of frequently peeing over the side of the
box. She will start out squatting normally, then as she is peeing she
will raise her butt up, causing the stream to go up the side of the
box or over the edge. At other times she pees normally. She seems to
do this butt-raising thing more frequently when she hasn't peed for a
long time. Thirdly, several times I have seen her squat and appear to
pee, but nothing happens. She doesn't seem to be straining or in
pain. She also sometimes smells the box, but won't go in. She was
peeing on a throw rug a couple of months ago, but so far she has not
peed anywhere else. I have had her urine analyzed twice and taken her
to the vet for a physical exam, but they can find no medical reason
for these strange behaviors.

Things I've done: I've tried 5 different kinds of litter—scented and
unscented, several sizes and types of boxes and tried them in
different locations. I keep buying deeper boxes, but it seems the
deeper the box, the higher she pees. I've tried a covered box, but
she wouldn't go in it. At present I have 2 litter boxes in the
bathroom—one in the bathtub, which is the main one she uses
(thankfully!). I use two types of flushable litter. I keep the boxes
scrupulously clean. I clean the errant pee with a mild soap and/or
Nature's Miracle.

She is a 2 year-old Russian Blue. She is spayed but not declawed. I
adopted her 6 months ago. She is an only cat but used to live in a
house with another cat.

Any ideas what could be causing these strange behaviors and what I can
do?

Thanks,

Holly
Old June 24th 04, 08:44 PM
Karen

Have you tried lowering the litter level? Maybe it is too deep. Don't know
how you could get her in there when you are away from home, although 12
hours doesn't seem too long.

Karen

om...

Old June 29th 04, 11:21 PM
Holly

Thanks. I don't use that much litter. Lately I tip the box so that a
small portion doesn't have litter in it--she seems to like that
better. I am transitioning her from Arm and Hammer Flushable to
Better Way Flushable. Sometimes she seems to be okay with it and
others not. I like the flushable types but am running out of ones to
try. She doesn't like SweatScoop. Anyone have suggestions for other
flushable types?

She has sometimes gone 20 hours without peeing. When this has
happened I have checked all over the house, assuming she has gone
somewhere else, but I have never found anything.

She is showing yet another strange peeing behavior. Lately I have
seen her pee standing up--no squatting--almost as if she is spraying.
Obviously, she is reacting to something in the litter/box/location,
but I just can't figure out what yet.

I am worried that these strange behaviors are not all behavioral. The
vet has found nothing physically wrong with her. Could there be
something wrong that doesn't show up on a standard urine test and
physical exam?

Thanks,

Holly
"Karen" wrote in message ...
Have you tried lowering the litter level? Maybe it is too deep. Don't know
how you could get her in there when you are away from home, although 12
hours doesn't seem too long.

Karen

om...