Himalayan Personality - Male

Old October 24th 03, 04:00 AM
Railroadman

Default Himalayan Personality - Male

I am new to this group, having just discovered it, but I will share a
familiar tale concerning our 6 year old Himalayan.

Right after I retired, I worked 3 days a week as a volunteer at the
local animal adoption center, and preferring cats by far to dogs they
soon referred to me as their "cat man". The 2nd day, two apparently
pure bred Himalayans, a male and a female were brought out from
downtown. They were already declawed, and had been neutered either by
the owner, who had to give them up because her Dr. advised her to -
she developed a respiratory problem, or by the animal control office.
Simon and Jazmine. Jazmine had a nice fluffy coat and was adopted in
less than an hour. Given that the two had been from the same litter,
I would never have adopted just one, and afterward Simon, who had been
shaved because his coat was matted sat in his cage looking
heartbroken, which I expect he was. I spent a couple of hours
cuddling this very friendly fellow, and fluffed out the fur around his
neck and the tuft on his tail and each paw, then I called my wife and
told her we had the cat she wanted. My 10 year old, at the time,
mixed females who lived just with me for 3 years before we were
married have never accepted my wife. Fortunately they are declawed
because "Prissy", the DLH takes aim at her ankles anytime she is in
range and takes a swipe - if she had claws, Karen's stocking budget
would be large.
Karen adopted "Simon" but named him "Pretty Boy" and after his coat
grew back out, we discovered that he really does not like to be
brushed,
but he gets it every day anyway, and he makes it clear that he
considers himself to be royalty, and although friendly with me, he
knows he is Karen's cat. When she gets home from work, he is
inseperable from her until bed-time, then he takes up residence on the
chair near the bed and does not stir from there the whole night - and
usually does not sleep - he looks at Karen all night. Though we now
have 3 cats, I still wish we had adopted Jazmine, although I was in
touch with the lady who adopted her and let her know that "Pretty Boy"
aka Simon had a good home too. Later I talked to the original owner
who was relieved that both her babies got good homes. Only problem
now is that Karen says when Pretty Boy uses up his allotted time (he
is now 6), she won't be satisfied without another Himalayan.

J. H. Sullivan - Florida

Old October 24th 03, 05:11 AM
Gizela

That is sweet.....

Welcome to the group....

What are the names of your other cats?

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old October 24th 03, 05:12 AM
Tanada

Railroadman wrote:

I am new to this group, having just discovered it, but I will share a
familiar tale concerning our 6 year old Himalayan.

Welcome to the group. Do you want to be known as Railroadman, J.H., or
by some other name?

I'm Pam, live in North Carolina, am owned by nine cats, one hubby (the
long suffering Rob), 2 kids (a 20 yr. old son, and a 16 yr. old
daughter), the daughter's boyfriend (Jim), and all sorts of adopted
soldiers and students who hang out here either to play role playing
games or to stare at the daughter. I'm not sure which sometimes.

You can find the FAQ for this group at
http://www.angelfire.com/mt/yowie/catfaq.htm It will explain a lot of
the quirks of this group including our abbreviations, group jokes, and
other quirks and idiosyncrasies.

Your Himalayan sounds like quite a character and I can't wait to read
stories about your other cats as well.

Pam S. owned by the NC nine
Old October 24th 03, 06:01 AM
Christine Burel

Welcome! I'm Christine and have 5 official cats and yet another stray at
the vets...we took in 2 strays this summer, one of which is quite the
handful to integrate (Tucker) and I've had lots of great advice and support
from this group of folks to assist me in surviving the travails of the
increasingly furry household. Our cats are Omar (orange tabby male, 3 yrs);
Oreo (black and white female, 3 yrs.); Midnight (black female, 4 yrs.) and
the latest acquisitions are Robin (1+?, black male) and Tucker (1+?, orange
tabby male, and Pirate (age???, seems old, pretty silver smoke long hair
unneutered male getting vet treatment for abcessed ear, then neutering next
week and hopefully a feral rescue acquaintance can help me place him
somehow.) I also have 2 kids, Celeste (age 10) and Alex (age 14) and a
great husband, Byron, who puts up with an incredible amount. Looking
forward to hearing more about your kitties.

Cat & kid pix at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/cfbureltoo
Christine

Old October 24th 03, 06:38 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:00:13 GMT, (Railroadman)
wrote:

[...]

It is evident that Pretty Boy is a "watch cat" and as long as he
doesn't fall asleep on the job everything will be fine. At six, he is
just a kid -- he could be around for another ten years if he is an
indoor cat. Congrats! MLB
Old October 24th 03, 02:35 PM
Railroadman

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:11:14 +1000, "Gizela"
u wrote:

That is sweet.....

Welcome to the group....

What are the names of your other cats?

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

"Railroadman" wrote in message
I am new to this group, having just discovered it, but I will share a
familiar tale concerning our 6 year old Himalayan.

My other cats (I would say our cats, but they don't consider my wife
to be "permanent" I guess - after 9 years, they still don't like her,
but she thinks it is cute - female cat thing I guess, Karen invaded
"their" territory.

Prissy - Tabby Domestic Long Hair, sweet personality but only towards
me, doesn't like anyone else. Whatever I am up to, she is right
there. If I am working on my HO railroad, she curls up on an old
shirt that I keep in a place for her in the room, and occasionally
lets me know she wants to be petted.

Crissy - Mostly Black, white blaze on her chest, 4 white "boots",
Domestic Short Hair. This was a troubled kitten. She and Prissy are
1/2 sisters being born in the same litter, but different tomcats, on
April 12, 1991, about 8pm in the evening. A little girl at my church
was owned by the mother cat, "Sissy" and her mother told her that she
could keep one of the kittens - there were 4 females and 2 males, all
healthy, not a runt in the litter. The day after the kittens were
born, Carol's (the mother) boyfriend and I helped them move from a
housing project into a house owned by the church, but not used at the
time. Thus I saw the kittens when they were less than 24 hours old,
and asked Christi if I could have the little long hair, because I knew
a child would probably not be able to handle the maintenance a LH
requires. She did, and I put a finger on the kitten's head and it
turned and licked my finger - maybe 15 hours old at that point. So
Prissy bonded to me early.
A few weeks later, Christi's little brother in a fit of spite grabbed
a B&W kitten by the scruff of the neck and threw it against the wall.
It was not physically hurt, but as we know, kittens need special
handling, especially at about 5-7 weeks if they are to be good pets.
Knowing of the incident, I also adopted Crissy. She is a sweet cat,
but will only allow me to pet her, and then only a little before she
turns and bites & when she does, it is FOR REAL - she would put a
rattlesnake to shame. Yet for 12+ years, she has slept tightly
against me every night and never bitten a stray hand that lands on her
at night. Right now both of my 12 year olds are quite healthy
although Crissy has an overactive thyroid for which she gets medicine
mixed in her food, and she goes to vet for a blood test every 6
months.

As to name - I use Railroadman as a handle, because I am one (retired)
but my name is Jerry.
Old October 24th 03, 02:40 PM
Railroadman

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:38:13 -0600, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

It is evident that Pretty Boy is a "watch cat" and as long as he
doesn't fall asleep on the job everything will be fine. At six, he is
just a kid -- he could be around for another ten years if he is an
indoor cat. Congrats! MLB

They can live a really long time if cared for. My step-daughter's cat
died last year at age 18, and she immediately adopted SnowFlake from
the same adoption center where we got "Pretty Boy". SnowFlake is now
2 years old, pure white, blue eyed, and like many blue eyed whites,
she is deaf.

A friend in the neighborhood lost her tomcat a few years ago, and he
was aged 21. As Nancy was only 38 when he died, she had been a
teenager when she got him. She and her husband, now have another cat,
and have also adopted a Greyhound - one of the sweetest dogs I have
ever seen - even likes the cat, they tell me, though I am not a dog
person.

Railroadman
Old October 24th 03, 07:49 PM
m. L. Briggs

wrote:

[...]

It is obvious you have had a lot of experience with cats -- good.
your wife: does she ever feed the cats? IMHO the one that feeds them
is the one they "like" the best. Looking forward to more stories from
you -- MLB