New cats -- need advice

Old October 11th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default New cats -- need advice

"Joy" wrote in message
"J J Levin" wrote in message
Hello all,

Some of you know me -- came here a few months ago and got tons of very
good advice. Now crunch time may be coming.

FINALLY we may be getting some cats. Two, to be exact. We were supposed
to go to the shelter and make a decision last week. Then a business trip
came up (one I really did not want to do). Then thankfully the business
trip was cancelled. Now, all of a sudden a friend (who has 4 cats) told
us of another friend who wants to give up two sweet cats, him and her
way and 2 babies + 2 cats is too much.

So tonight we are going to see the two cats and see if they want to move
in with us. Or, based on what I have learned here, more likely the cats
will interview us :-).

QUESTION: When you get new cats, do you keep them in one room for a few
days or do you give them the run of the house right away? We have 3
floors. The top one will be off limits (bedrooms) because that's how the
wife wants it. That simply means keep all doors closed.They can climb up
the stairs, but they'll only find closed doors.

(I have a sneaky suspicion that this will not deter them and that
eventually they'll find ways to get into those closed rooms. But I'm
keeping that information from the wife just for now. Born diplomat, you
know.

Middle floor: Kitchen, living room, TV area, and one small bathroom. The
bathroom will be their bathroom as well (litter boxes). It is not much
used by humans. Their food dishes will be near the kitchen. They can have
the run of this floor.

Basement: finished den and library. Here I spend most of my time
(library, computer, work desk, etc.). One area will be closed off (boiler
room and some storage) and they can have the run of the rest of the open
space. It's carpeted and nice and we want to put some perches or cat
trees there, as well as upstairs near a window.

SO... Should we limit them to a room or two initially, or just show them
where the bathroom is, where the food is, and release them to their own
devices?

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm trying to learn. Thus far this
group has been invaluable, and I thank you all for your past advice.

Jay

You may get different advice, and you'll have to make your own decision.
However, since you don't have any other animals, I'd give them the run of
the house - at least the parts where you want them to be able to go.
AFAIK, the main idea of shutting them in one room is to make a gradual
introduction to pets already in residence.

Joy

That seems to be the consensus here. Thanks!!

Jay

Old October 11th 11, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:14:38 -0400, "J J Levin"
wrote:

Hello all,

Some of you know me -- came here a few months ago and got tons of very good
advice. Now crunch time may be coming.

FINALLY we may be getting some cats. Two, to be exact. We were supposed to
go to the shelter and make a decision last week. Then a business trip came
up (one I really did not want to do). Then thankfully the business trip was
cancelled. Now, all of a sudden a friend (who has 4 cats) told us of another
friend who wants to give up two sweet cats, him and her siblings, 2 years
old, because they have one baby and another is on the way and 2 babies + 2
cats is too much.

So tonight we are going to see the two cats and see if they want to move in
with us. Or, based on what I have learned here, more likely the cats will
interview us :-).

QUESTION: When you get new cats, do you keep them in one room for a few days
or do you give them the run of the house right away? We have 3 floors. The
top one will be off limits (bedrooms) because that's how the wife wants it.
That simply means keep all doors closed.They can climb up the stairs, but
they'll only find closed doors.

You don't need to confine them (except to keep them indoors) because
you don't have any other cats or dogs in the house that you need to
shelter them from. Just make sure that they can't get out and try to
find their way 'home', because they'll get lost. But most cats know
which side of the food dish is better - if you pamper them they'll be
very happy with you and they won't miss the place they came from.
Also, make sure that your basement doesn't have any crawlway access -
an inquisitive or timid cat can get in there and get stuck/lost.

Old October 11th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , J J Levin
wrote:
Hello all,

Some of you know me -- came here a few months ago and got tons of very
good advice. Now crunch time may be coming.

FINALLY we may be getting some cats. Two, to be exact. We were supposed
to go to the shelter and make a decision last week. Then a business
trip came up (one I really did not want to do). Then thankfully the
business trip was cancelled. Now, all of a sudden a friend (who has 4
cats) told us of another friend who wants to give up two sweet cats,
him and her siblings, 2 years old, because they have one baby and
another is on the way and 2 babies + 2 cats is too much.

So tonight we are going to see the two cats and see if they want to move
in with us. Or, based on what I have learned here, more likely the cats
will interview us :-).

[Snip]

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm trying to learn. Thus far this
group has been invaluable, and I thank you all for your past advice.

Jay

I would let them have the run of the house that you want them to access
to.
When we brought Sophie (RB) home we let her have the run of the house and
when she went upstairs I went with her. She went into every room but the
third bedroom. I took it that that was one room too many. The next day
she was happy to go in there too. They will decide if they don't want to
go somewhere when they first come home. They have each other to explore
with so it should be less intimidating.

As I'm posting after you were going to be interviewed by them, I'm dying
to know how you got on.

Judith

Thanks for the advice. They refused to be interviewed. They hid under the
sofa and would not come out. We're going back there tonight. Based on what
we heard from the owners and from a mutual friends, they are very sweet and
gentle, so we have high hopes.

To be continued...

Jay

Old October 11th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

When I acquired Waffles and Pickles, we literally had to lift up the sofa to
get Pickles out from under it.

Joy

Old October 11th 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

wrote:
[...]

We're hoping that tonight they'll be in a better mood. I can be as sneaky as
they are. I have some treats (Temptations) with me. If all else fails, we'll
try bribery.

Jay

Old October 11th 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"J J Levin" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Good luck! Be prepared for them to be shy and do a lot of hiding for the
first few days. Once they learn you're harmless, they'll do some exploring,
and when they realize what a good deal they have, everybody will be happy.

Joy

Old October 11th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 10/11/2011 03:33 PM, J J Levin wrote:
wrote in message
"J J wrote in message
"Judith wrote in message
In , J J Levin
wrote:
[...]

My cat refuses to have anything to do with Temptations. She does respond to Greenies. The thing that excites her most is people tuna.

Perhaps you could eat a tuna sandwich before you go. LOL! Best
wishes. MLB

Old October 11th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

The only time I've kept cat(s) sequestered is when i'd been
introducing them into an existing clowder. Since you're getting two
siblings who've been living together, I don't see any reason. Dont't
be alarmed if you don't see them for a week or so - they'll be hiding
during the day and checking out every square inch of their new
territory.

Also, the people who are giving their cats away because of babies will
have not been cat slaves, you may find some bad habits (all of which
can be altered with lots of patience and love - and tips from here).
So, a couple of things you'll want to get is three litter boxes
(number of cats + 1); at least 2 scratching posts, but the more you
can afford, the better; a large bag of catnip to rub into the posts
(also, cats have different taste in posts so try to get every type
civering - sisal, carpet, cardboard, etc. and types of stands like
towers vs. horisontal - the stand up should be tall enough to allow a
cat a body-long stretchk and even small cats can stretch a loooong
way, and a very sturdy and wide base - you don't want to traumatize
them against all scratching posts)); and MOST important, a couple of
rolls of sticky back tape to put on the corners or back or any surface
you don't want to be scratch until you are sure thet scratch it. Keep
in mind that your wife will be VERY upset if they damage something she
treasures. A little work in the begining will save you a LOT of work
later.

Other than that we'll have to take care of other problems as they
occur - hopefull they won't. Good luck, and lots of purrs for a
smooth transition.

Hugs,

CatNipped

***

And here I've muddled along with cats for about 40 years without most of
those things. I've never had more than one litter box, even when I had 4
cats. Of course, they were indoor-outdoor, but the two indoor cats I have
now get by just fine with one box. I clean it twice a day. I started
getting Cat Scratchers (horizontal scratch pads) about ten years ago, and
acquired my first scratching post when I got Pickles and Waffles (the woman
I got them from gave me the post). I have gotten another one since then,
because the first one was coming apart.

Joy