New cats -- need advice

Old October 10th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default New cats -- need advice

Hello all,

Some of you know me -- came here a few months ago and got tons of very good
advice. Now crunch time may be coming.

FINALLY we may be getting some cats. Two, to be exact. We were supposed to
go to the shelter and make a decision last week. Then a business trip came
up (one I really did not want to do). Then thankfully the business trip was
cancelled. Now, all of a sudden a friend (who has 4 cats) told us of another
friend who wants to give up two sweet cats, him and her siblings, 2 years
old, because they have one baby and another is on the way and 2 babies + 2
cats is too much.

So tonight we are going to see the two cats and see if they want to move in
with us. Or, based on what I have learned here, more likely the cats will
interview us :-).

QUESTION: When you get new cats, do you keep them in one room for a few days
or do you give them the run of the house right away? We have 3 floors. The
top one will be off limits (bedrooms) because that's how the wife wants it.
That simply means keep all doors closed.They can climb up the stairs, but
they'll only find closed doors.

(I have a sneaky suspicion that this will not deter them and that eventually
they'll find ways to get into those closed rooms. But I'm keeping that
information from the wife just for now. Born diplomat, you know.

Middle floor: Kitchen, living room, TV area, and one small bathroom. The
bathroom will be their bathroom as well (litter boxes). It is not much used
by humans. Their food dishes will be near the kitchen. They can have the run
of this floor.

Basement: finished den and library. Here I spend most of my time (library,
computer, work desk, etc.). One area will be closed off (boiler room and
some storage) and they can have the run of the rest of the open space. It's
carpeted and nice and we want to put some perches or cat trees there, as
well as upstairs near a window.

SO... Should we limit them to a room or two initially, or just show them
where the bathroom is, where the food is, and release them to their own
devices?

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm trying to learn. Thus far this group
has been invaluable, and I thank you all for your past advice.

Jay

Old October 10th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 10/10/2011 10:14 AM, J J Levin wrote:
[...]

We have always let the new kitties investigate the territory. Cats are
very curious and it makes them feel more secure to know their
surroundings. Best wishes. MLB
Old October 10th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

That's what my instinct is saying, too. I see no reason to confine the cat
to one room. I have heard it done with outdoor cats when they first become
indoor cats. Our two prospective ones have always been indoor cats only.

Thanks, MLB.

Jay

Old October 10th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "J J Levin" wrote:

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I too have never adapted the "keep in one room for a while" philosophy. The
new cats get the run of the house immediately. It's always worked out OK.

Art
Old October 10th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , "J J Levin"
wrote:

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I too have never adapted the "keep in one room for a while" philosophy.
The
new cats get the run of the house immediately. It's always worked out OK.

Art

Thanks!!

Jay

Old October 10th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I too have never adapted the "keep in one room for a while" philosophy.
The
new cats get the run of the house immediately. It's always worked out OK.

Art

If, as the OP says, the cats are siblings, they should probably already be
acquainted. There's no need to segregate them. What would be the point?

Jill

Old October 10th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Usually I'd say just let them have the run of the house, but it sounds
like you
have a very large house. I think if you could confine them to either
one floor
or a couple of rooms it might be less overwhelming to them. Sometimes
new
cats will hide too, and at least you'll have fewer places to look for
them. :-)
And it might make it easier for them to get accustomed to where the
litterbox
is. And if everything goes well the first day and night, then I think
I'd just give
them access to the whole house.

I think it's awesome that you've gotten two cats who are already
friends with
each other. It'll be so much easier for them to adjust to a home since
they
have each other.

Sherry

Thanks, Sherry. I think we'll see how they seem to adjust. If necessary, we
can always close the door to the basement and let them roam just the main
floor for a day or two.

Jay

Old October 10th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

J J Levin wrote:

[...]

Are you saying the cats might get some "help" getting into those rooms?

[snip description of large house]

SO... Should we limit them to a room or two initially, or just show them
where the bathroom is, where the food is, and release them to their own
devices?

A lot of the reason for confining a new cat is to help the resident cat(s)
adjust to the newcomer (and vice versa) in a less threatening way, to let
them get acquainted with each other slowly (smell, sounds, small glimpse
of a paw under a door, etc), instead of letting them loose in each other's
presence right away. That can sometimes backfire and create tension. (I
speak from experience, for both methods of introduction.)

You don't have that situation, so there's much less need to confine the
newcomer(s). Some people also believe cats adjust to a new space more
easily if you start small and expand the available area as they get used
to the new place, but I think that depends on the cat. If it's a shy or
skittish cat, then yes, allowing them to hunker down in a small area first
will probably help them feel safer. If the cat is confident and curious,
I don't think that's necessary, though. And your two have each other,
which will help them feel safer anyway.

In any case, I hope it works out with these two and you get to bring
them home.

--
Joyce

It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same. -- Unknown

(I don't really agree that it's "better to give than to lend", but the
rest of the statement is absolutely true.)

Old October 10th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"J J Levin" wrote in message
[...]

You may get different advice, and you'll have to make your own decision.
However, since you don't have any other animals, I'd give them the run of
the house - at least the parts where you want them to be able to go. AFAIK,
the main idea of shutting them in one room is to make a gradual introduction
to pets already in residence.

Joy