Help - Cat choked when vomiting, now has blocked nose

Old August 20th 03, 01:46 AM
Chris Weaver

Default Help - Cat choked when vomiting, now has blocked nose

Hi,

I hope you can give me some advice. My cat was sick on her food today
(which is not really unusual) but she choked and coughed whilst being
sick and some of it got stuck up in the back of her nose. Its
completely blocked her nose and shows no signs of coming out.

I took her to the vet and they said that a cats nasal cavities are too
small to look into, and they don't know how to clear it. My cat is
obviously in great distress and is constantly gulping air in through
her mouth and panicking all the time. She is (at the moment) getting
enough air into her lungs but it is very hard work for her.

Has anyone had any experience of this or could you give me some advice
how to help her? The vet said she could be sedated and they would try
to look up from the back of her throat. I'm worried that they might
cause her more harm from doing something invasive, but she obviously
can't go on like this for too long as she can't eat and won't drink
and its very stressful. Surely this is a common problem?

Thanks,
Chris.

Old August 20th 03, 02:35 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Oh, jeez - no experience w/ this, but the poor cat sounds very
uncomfortable. I would take her to another vet, pronto.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 20th 03, 05:47 AM
k conover

I hate to say it, (because I know you're already stressed out), but I agree
with the others--your vet is incompetent!
Kirsten
"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Chris Weaver

at
wrote on 8/19/03 7:46 PM:

[...]

See a feline vet immediately!!!!!!!!!! They do surgery on various cancers
and sinus problems for heavens sake, they should be able to do

SOMETHING!!!
This vet just doesn't have the experience and is too chicken to say so!

Karen

Old August 20th 03, 12:17 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Chris Weaver wrote:

*I took her to the vet and they said that a cats nasal cavities are too
*small to look into, and they don't know how to clear it. My cat is
*obviously in great distress and is constantly gulping air in through
*her mouth and panicking all the time. She is (at the moment) getting
*enough air into her lungs but it is very hard work for her.

Well, people DO look inside feline nasal cavities using a procedure called
"rhinoscopy," but not everyone is equipped to do that (for example, I am
not). That being said, your cat is in respiratory distress and need urgent
veterinary care. Go to a veterinarian who can provide it.

Old August 22nd 03, 12:28 AM

That being said, your cat is in respiratory distress and need urgent
veterinary care. Go to a veterinarian who can provide it.

And don't EVER go back to the vet that sent you home like that.
No one would use that vet!