Hey Now! (First visit here) Holy Smokes! 40,000 messages??!!

Old January 2nd 04, 01:37 AM
Mary Pelis

MarkNewbury wrote:
Hey Now!

Mark here and start with saying that NO other creatures on the planet
are as beautiful as CATS! All cats big and small, tame or wild.
The folks who built the great pyramids knew this thousands
of years before our current calendar even existed!

Next I say: HOLY SMOKES! 40,000 messages!??!!
I thought only binary porn groups had this many!

How on earth do you follow it?
I haven't used my "Show replies to my messages" feature
in Outlook Express yet but if I'm going to join THIS group
I guess I'd better start!

So, Greetings from Watertown CT. U.S.A.........

Hi Mark!

Lucky you with so many furkids! Fractals & Hawking??? Don't talk
physics to me because of my e-mail addie (I just do the buying!), but
speak to me of kitties anytime!!

Mary & Mookie Wilson (Siamese King of the Universe)

Old January 2nd 04, 03:35 AM
MarkNewbury

"Steve Touchstone"
wrote in message ...

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 00:42:29 -0500, "MarkNewbury"
wrote:

Mark here and start with saying that NO other creatures on the planet
are as beautiful as CATS! All cats big and small, tame or wild.
The folks who built the great pyramids knew this thousands
of years before our current calendar even existed!
So, Greetings from Watertown CT. U.S.A.........

Hi Mark, glad to see you here, as I've been watching your pix over in
the binary group for a while now.

Thanx!
I just posted a couple more btw. ;-)

I know what you mean about all the posts, when I first started reading
here I ended up just using the catch up feature and starting from
scratch - just lurking for awhile to try to get all hoomin names
matched to the appropiate cat master - a task I'm still working on.

Hell, I had my cat for 13 or 14 years and didn't give her a name.
"Officially" by the vet records, she was named TeaBag because
she loved chewing on and tearing up ret, used tea bags. (Usually
all over the kitchen floor). We would try to BURY the used tea
bags on the bottom of the garbage can but she would wait for us
to leave and dig right in. She'd bypas *normal* cat fodder like chicken
bones and other smelly cat type things until she got to the tea bags
at the bottom! We finally gave up and started putting the used tea
bags in a sealed coffee can until garbage day.

you can put up with all the pop-ups check out the FAQ at
http://www.angelfire.com/mt/yowie/catfaq.htm

Yea, Someone was kind enough to e-mail it to me already.

Anyway, as you can tell from my sig I'm Steve, and have three furry
ones telling me what to do: when to get up in the morning, when the
food bowl is empty and of course when the litter box needs cleaning.
We here in southwestern Oklahoma.

Rocky is my latest addition. The vet guessed his age at around 6-8
years old, and he was feral for most of that time. I've been feeding
him for quite awhile, and it took a LONG time before let me approach
him, maybe six months before he'd eat off the patio without running
off if he saw me. This summer I finally hauled him in to be neutered,
and since then he's been turning into a lap kitty - now if he could
just learn that claws are not appreciated when he's kneading. LOL

Oh WOW!
If I didn't know it was YOU, I'd swear it was ME who wrote that!
That's exactly what's going on with one of the 2 kittens of mine.
It took about as long for the trust to come but now that it has,
she is really loving the lap thing. ;-) The other kitten needs more work.
I can manage to pet him(her) when she's eating but only if she's
real hungry or when I put something special (like moist canned food)
out for them to eat. Usually I just give them the MUCH cheaper
dry food. I buy the cans for an occational treat but not too often
because I've heard that it's not too good for cats to mix wet and dry
foods too often. I don't know if it's true but just to be
safe......................

Little Bit is a stray who showed up on the doorstep a couple winters
ago - skinny and very pregnant.

That's just how my colony started. One sad, hungry and pregnant
tabby showed up one day a few years ago. She's gone now and I
have no idea want happened. Shen had 2 litters while she was around
and all but one (a female calico) stuck around. She had 2 litters of
her own with the last one being in the spring of 2002. By the winter
of 2002, she vanished leaving the 4 tabby kittens for me to take care of.
Thankfully they were well weaned by then.

Here's the amazing part....

By spring of 2003, one of THEM had a litter of 4! Talk about robbing
the cradle! Male pedophile cats?? Somewhere (and I think I know where)
there's a male house cat with a dirty secret. I think I know the male cat
because the kittens have more than a few similarities to the kittens.
Actually I think that male is father to those kittens AND to their mother.
That sort of thing is really gross to we humans but in the cat world it
happens all the time and seemingly with no ill effects to the offspring.

One of the 4 tabbys born from the calico took off leaving 1 female
and 2 orange male tabbys. 2 of the kittens from the 1 female are still
around. And there it is, the colony of 5.

of 2003, she had

At the time the vet estimated her to
be about 10 months old. I tried to tell her that I wasn't a cat
person, that she could only stay until it warmed up outside, that I
had pet birds and couldn't keep a cat, etc etc, but she moved in
anyway. About a week later she had her kittens in the bedroom closet.
I decided she could stay until they were old enough to go to their new
homes. She kept working on me, and by the time the kittens were weaned
she had convinced me that I was her hoomin.

Hmmmm, I dunno, personally I think she had you the SECOND you
took her in to the house! Only you didn't know it yet but I'm sure SHE did.

In fact, by that time I had totally surrended, and when it came time
for the kittens to go to their forever homes her daughter had me
wrapped around her furry little paw, so Sammy stayed as well. Everyone
has that one special cat, and I guess Sammy is mine.

I have 2, one of the adult orange males and one of the kittens. Those
two never leave. The mother, the other kitten and the other adult male
go wandering once they have been fed. (Back like swiss clockwork
the next day though ;-)

So, that's my crew. Rocky is still a mostly outside cat, only
consenting to spend the night inside when it's really cold out. Little
Bit is mainly inside, but she does stay out on nice days. She hasn't
spent the night outside since she moved in. She's better at
forecasting the weather than the local weathermen. If it's windy,
cold, hot or wet she prefers looking out through a window. Sammy is
strictly inside, though she does get to go out on for supervised
playtimes.

Well, if it were up to me I would let any of them in who wanted to
but there are older folks (actually just one, my grandmother) here
and having several cats under foot isn't an option. She's just fine
and probably moves around the house more than ME but having
cats just isn't worth the risk of a fall. When we had the one cat
she stayed mostly in my room and that seemed just fine with her.

Welcome to the group,

Thanx!
Phwew! It's been a while since I did a reply like this. G
(Happens every time I talk about cats.)

Peace,
Mark
--

Have a look at a bunch more pic's in my WebShots Albums!
HTTP://COMMUNITY.WEBSHOTS.COM/USER/MARKNEWBURY

Joy to the world, to all the boys and girls.
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Joy to you and me.........2004---- Forever!

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old January 2nd 04, 04:00 AM
MarkNewbury

Have a look at a bunch more pic's in my WebShots Albums!
HTTP://COMMUNITY.WEBSHOTS.COM/USER/MARKNEWBURY

Joy to the world, to all the boys and girls.
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Joy to you and me.........2004---- Forever!

"Stacey"
wrote in message ...

hey mark - that url didn't work

Hmm, I think Webshots is allergic to caps in user names,
I should have thought of that before doing it in all caps in
my sig. Sorry, Try this:

http://community.webshots.com/user/marknewbury

Peace
Mark

PS: Thanx for pointing that out!

Old January 2nd 04, 04:07 AM
MarkNewbury

Joy to the world.......
To all the boys and girls...........
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Joy to you and me.........2004---- Forever!

"Steve Touchstone"
wrote in message ...
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 23:17:48 GMT, "Stacey"
wrote:

hey mark - that url didn't work

Stacey

snip
Beautiful cats! (as if there ever was a cat that *wasn't*!)
There's more of my own here. (if you haven't already visited)
HTTP://COMMUNITY.WEBSHOTS.COM/USER/MARKNEWBURY

Nope, didn't work for me either ;-((

I think it's because it's in all caps, try this, it IS the right addy.
Sorry 4 the confusion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/marknewbury

But if you go through to webshots and look under Interests, click on
the cats you get LOTS of cat pix. I'm going to have to go back when I
have lots of time - it says there's over 287 thousand pix.

Webshots is the BEST!

You don't even have to pay if you don't want to and there's only
minor improvements between a free account and a payed one.

Peace,
Mark

Old January 2nd 04, 04:28 AM
MarkNewbury

"CK"
wrote in message ...

Steve Touchstone wrote:
If
you can put up with all the pop-ups check out the FAQ at
http://www.angelfire.com/mt/yowie/catfaq.htm

No popups whatsoever with Netscape 7.1 (or the IE-based AvantBrowser or
MyIE2, which also have popup-control).

But anyway, welcome to the group Mark. I'm Christine in Vantaa, Finland
(some 20-25 km north from Marina). Live with DH (= dear husband) Janne
and furry master Laku = licorice in Finnish, see the pics (addy's in my
sig) and you understand why...

Stunning! Am I imagining things here or are Laku's whiskers black too??
If so I'm amazed! I thought ALL cats whiskers were white. Then again I
haven't known all that many cats. It's only since I've been caring for my
colony that I've become so interested in cats. (Cats other than my own that
I had for 13-14 years that is)

Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

And to think, 50 years ago if you told somebody that there would come
a day when cat people would be able to have a GLOBAL conversation
about JUST cats they would have most likely locked you up for your
own safety! I've been doing internet stuff right from the beginning
and a couple years before (Fidonet) the WWW became known. Yet I'm
no less fascinated now than I was then as to what can be done!

THANX for the welcome!

Peace,
Mark

Old January 2nd 04, 04:32 AM
Steve Touchstone

Yep, this one works
http://community.webshots.com/user/marknewbury
- thing is I already had it bookmarked if I'd bothered to check -
guess from the binary group.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:07:22 -0500, "MarkNewbury"

Old January 2nd 04, 04:34 AM
MarkNewbury

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:42:29 -0800, MarkNewbury wrote
(in message ):

Hey Now!
Mark here and start with saying that NO other creatures on the planet
are as beautiful as CATS! All cats big and small, tame or wild.
The folks who built the great pyramids knew this thousands
of years before our current calendar even existed!

"John Biltz"
wrote in message .net...

Welcome, I've admired your pictures over in the binary group.

Thanx!
There's a couple new ones today.

Peace,
Mark

Old January 2nd 04, 04:37 AM
MarkNewbury

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"MarkNewbury" wrote in message
So, Greetings from Watertown CT. U.S.A.........

Peace,
Mark

Hey, guys,
It's another Mark!

We are everywhere! ;-)

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the group.

Thanx!

Peace,
Mark

Old January 2nd 04, 04:50 AM
MarkNewbury

"MarkNewbury" wrote in message

Hey Now!
Mark here and start with saying that NO other creatures on the planet
are as beautiful as CATS! All cats big and small, tame or wild.
The folks who built the great pyramids knew this thousands

Then...........

"lrulan" wrote
in message ...

hey, welcome to the group, Mark. I see your posts in the binaries group.
It's a nice bunch of people here, like a family, quarrels too sometimes,

but
mostly love.

So I see.
Any argument in here couldn't be anywhere near the flamewar going on
in the group I left for good a few weeks ago! It's impossible to have a
thread get much bigger than 5 post's before someone jumps in and craps
all over it with some childish insult or wizecrack. I'm not going to give
its name but I can tell you that its in a group where everyone is supposed
to hold a Philosophy of Peace and Tolerance. Go Fig! ;-)

Peace,
Mark

Jazz & his mama
--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old January 2nd 04, 05:18 AM
Marina

"MarkNewbury" wrote

Stunning! Am I imagining things here or are Laku's whiskers black too??
If so I'm amazed! I thought ALL cats whiskers were white.

My sister had a cat (who was Frank's Dad) who was all black, and with black
whiskers. I've seen other cats with black whiskers, too. The funniest one
was a grey tabby who had both white and black whiskers, so he sort of had
tabby whiskers, too.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki