Sick cat - very confused as to what to do - reply to all

Old August 14th 04, 05:17 AM
Paul M. Cook©®

Default Sick cat - very confused as to what to do - reply to all

Thanks everyone. You all had a lot to say and you put me very much at ease.
I called the vet at her house, I do their system support for the hospital
after all, and I bent her ear. They so hate that but I'm her patient too
the way I see it.

OK, Buddy has FIV, not FLV. I was mistaken. She is not immediately
concerned with the FIP numbers and says the FIV is of far greater concern at
the moment. The Western Blot test will be back perhaps a week from Monday.
She says that test will be definitive. She did say that FIV can sometimes
not show up in a test for several years and Buddy could have had this for a
while, but then again not - it all depends on the test ands that's when she
cut me off. So we won't know until next week.

His liver is a mess. So is his thyroid. They have him on tapazol and IV
fluids. He will be in the hospital until at least Monday as his kidneys
need help dealing with the compromised liver. He will have an ultrasound of
his heart, liver and kidneys on Monday. They probably will biopsy his liver
too. If the worst I have to deal with is a tapazol pill every day I will be
very happy. And I know for 3 years he has been a happy cat despite high
liver enzymes so I know we can deal with that too.

I visited him tonight and he was so glad to see me. He purred and nuzzled
me and licked my hand which he never does, he's not a licker. He would not
eat they said so I asked if I could get him some of his regular food called
APD. They had it at the pet shop next door and I got a bag there for him.
He eagerly ate for me which made me feel very good. He then relaxed in his
cage and lay down and I just stroked him. He seems to really know we're
trying to make him feel better again. He already looked better what with
being well hydrated again. Tomorrow I'll see him again and bring him his
sleeping towel. He has a cage full of birds to watch so hopefully he won't
be too bored.

So there is hope. Once they get his liver problem under control we'll know
even more. His levels are just sky high now so we have to wait for the
tapazol to work. With any luck I'll have him home soon.

I'll post again. Thanks everyone for the replies. You really helped ease
my mind - especially the FIP which I thought was the worst news. I feel
calmer and more positive. I just do not want to make the same mistakes I
made with Zipper. I do not regret the effort but in the end I pushed it too
hard and too long. It's such a hard call to make.

Paul

Old August 14th 04, 07:56 AM
Mary

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote in message
[...]

Paul, I 'm so glad things are better!

Old August 15th 04, 01:02 AM
Phil P.

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote in message

Hey Paul,

Good to see you back although I wish it was under better circumstances.

I'm very sorry about Zipper. You certainly went the distance - and then
some - for him. A cat couldn't have a more dedicated friend than you.

snip

OK, Buddy has FIV, not FLV. I was mistaken. She is not immediately
concerned with the FIP numbers and says the FIV is of far greater concern

at
the moment. The Western Blot test will be back perhaps a week from

Monday.
She says that test will be definitive. She did say that FIV can sometimes
not show up in a test for several years and Buddy could have had this for

while, but then again not - it all depends on the test ands that's when

she
cut me off. So we won't know until next week.

Paul, FIV is a very slow disease. Many if not most FIV-infected cats
survive 4-6 years after the estimated time of infection. Many FIV cats
even live near-normal and even normal lifespans providing they are protected
from other diseases and have good nutritional support. I personally know of
cats still going strong 8 years after the estimated time of infection.

His liver is a mess. So is his thyroid. They have him on tapazol and IV
fluids. He will be in the hospital until at least Monday as his kidneys
need help dealing with the compromised liver. He will have an ultrasound

of
his heart, liver and kidneys on Monday. They probably will biopsy his

liver
too. If the worst I have to deal with is a tapazol pill every day I will

be
very happy. And I know for 3 years he has been a happy cat despite high
liver enzymes so I know we can deal with that too.

Your primary concern should be bringing his hyperthyroidism under control
since thyrotoxicosis affects every organ in the body - especially the liver
and heart. Most cats (90%) with hyperthyroidism have elevated liver enzymes
that return to normal when hyperthyroidism is treated and the cat returns to
euthyroidism. So, Buddy may not actually have liver disease. Retest his
liver enzymes after he's been on Tapazole for a few weeks - they should
start to come down.

The ultrasound of his heart, it might show he has hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy (HCM). Don't be alarmed! Hyperthyroidism causes myocardial
hypertrophy that is often confused with HCM. This form of myocardial
hypertrophy is reversible and usually resolves with successful treatment and
management of hyperthyroidism.

[...]

I'll bet that will happen soon after his hyperthyroidism is underconrol!

we'll know
even more. His levels are just sky high now so we have to wait for the
tapazol to work. With any luck I'll have him home soon.

I'll post again. Thanks everyone for the replies. You really helped ease
my mind - especially the FIP which I thought was the worst news.

Did your vet reach a diagnosis of FIP based only on elevated liver enzymes?

I feel
calmer and more positive. I just do not want to make the same mistakes I
made with Zipper. I do not regret the effort but in the end I pushed it

too
hard and too long.

No you didn't. Zipper was a fighter; you just kept fighting as long as he
did. I've done the same and I'd do it again and again with no regrets.
*Many* cats went on to live several more years with a good quality of life -
time they wouldn't have had if I gave up before they did.

It's such a hard call to make.

Don't second guess yourself now. You made all the right calls with Zipper.
You damn sure earned my respect and admiration!

Keep the faith!

Phil

Old August 15th 04, 08:46 PM
Paul M. Cook©®

Paul, FIV is a very slow disease. Many if not most FIV-infected cats
survive 4-6 years after the estimated time of infection. Many FIV cats
even live near-normal and even normal lifespans providing they are

protected
from other diseases and have good nutritional support. I personally know

of
cats still going strong 8 years after the estimated time of infection.

I am finding a lot of good information online about FIP. The second vet
yesterday agreed his FIP titer was low enough to indicate exposure to the
virus but that he is likely not to be infected with it at this stage. So
I'll be looking into homeopathy and nutritional therapy for him. He gets a
very decent diet but I can see he's going to need much better and more
specific dietary consideration.

[...]

Yes, indeed that is what he is on now. He has icterus though is not yet
jaundiced and they said that is not commonly seen unless there is liver
disease present. The fact he is not yellow yet hopefully means I got him
help in time.

The ultrasound of his heart, it might show he has hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy (HCM). Don't be alarmed! Hyperthyroidism causes myocardial
hypertrophy that is often confused with HCM. This form of myocardial
hypertrophy is reversible and usually resolves with successful treatment

and
management of hyperthyroidism.

Thanks for that, I'd have probably greaked out with the diagnosis.

[...]

The FIP diagnosis was from a blood test. Something may also be up with his
splean as I understood that his xrays showed some enlargement.

Thanks for your help.

Paul