OT Fun Ferret Facts

Old May 20th 04, 07:43 PM
Kreisleriana

Default OT Fun Ferret Facts

Ok, I went over and consulted with my ferret-slave neighbor, and
gleaned the following points of interest:

-The word "ferret" is derived from a Latin word for "thief."

-Ferrets are not legal in all localities; in fact my neighbor ferret,
Mugsy, is an illegal ferret. They have been illegal here since 1999.
Our former Mayor Giuliani, who became the hero of the country after
9/11, is also the Hitler of ferret lovers. My neighbor is risking
having the poor little mite confiscated if discovered by whatever
authorities.

-Adult ferrets STINK. They must be descented before they reach
adulthood-- otherwise they are simply not livable with. The
descenting procedure is usually performed along with neutering.

-Speaking of which, any conscientious ferret owner has the critter
neutered.

-Ferrets are so popular (and populous) now that ferret rescues have
become as necessary as dog and cat rescues.

-They are easily litter-trained, but don't bury.

-Ferrets are like kittens-- have two settings, ON and OFF. They
pretty much stay that way.

-They can get places no cat can get, and they think everything is food
or a toy. If it isn't a toy, it's food. If it isn't food, it's a
toy. Some things are both. You get the picture.

-Unlike cats, ferrets have thick skin-- biting is how they invite
you-- or your dog, or cat, or kid -- to play. You have to take
nip-training seriously.

Theresa
Old May 20th 04, 08:09 PM
Nanny

I don't agree with what you say about descenting. Adult ferrets stink as
long as they're not neutered, it has nothing to do with their scent glands.
Those glands are anal glands like cats and dogs have, and sometimes when
they're frightened or excited they 'poof', and yes, that stinks, but I've
had cats do the same thing, either at the vet, or when they're very loving
to you. It's a common mistake in the US to say they have to be descented,
even among some ferret owners. Here in Holland it's illegal to descent,
except when it's for medical reasons.

Nanny

"Kreisleriana" schreef in bericht
news

Old May 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:09:03 +0200, "Nanny"
yodeled:

I don't agree with what you say about descenting. Adult ferrets stink as
long as they're not neutered, it has nothing to do with their scent glands.
Those glands are anal glands like cats and dogs have, and sometimes when
they're frightened or excited they 'poof', and yes, that stinks, but I've
had cats do the same thing, either at the vet, or when they're very loving
to you. It's a common mistake in the US to say they have to be descented,
even among some ferret owners. Here in Holland it's illegal to descent,
except when it's for medical reasons.

Nanny

What part don't you agree with? That it's done or that it's
necessary? Why do you say it's a mistake to say they have to be
descented? It just so happens that here in the US, in localities
where they are legal, they are descented as a matter of procedure.

Old May 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Nanny

I don't agree with it being necessary. The typical strong ferret smell is
not caused by those glands, but it's their body odor, that's stronger when
they're not neutered. The glands have absolutely nothing to do with that.
But I can imagine that in a country where most ferrets come from "factories"
like Marshalls, where they're neutered and descented almost immediately
after birth (which is another practice I don't like), lots of people are
confused about what causes the smell.
For your info, I'm not just talking off the top of my head, I'm a rather
experienced ferret owner myself, with lots of contacts in the ferret
community :-)

Old May 20th 04, 08:33 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:23:32 +0200, "Nanny"
yodeled:

I don't agree with it being necessary. The typical strong ferret smell is
not caused by those glands, but it's their body odor, that's stronger when
they're not neutered. The glands have absolutely nothing to do with that.
But I can imagine that in a country where most ferrets come from "factories"
like Marshalls, where they're neutered and descented almost immediately
after birth (which is another practice I don't like), lots of people are
confused about what causes the smell.
For your info, I'm not just talking off the top of my head, I'm a rather
experienced ferret owner myself, with lots of contacts in the ferret
community :-)

Nanny

I'm sorry. I wouldn't dream of questioning your authority. I just
had a friend available next door who is also an experienced ferret
owner, and I just thought I'd pass on some things he mentioned of
interest.

I will now return to the factory that produced me.

Theresa

Old May 20th 04, 10:35 PM
polonca12000

Very interesting and funny! Thanks.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
news

Ok, I went over and consulted with my ferret-slave neighbor, and
gleaned the following points of interest:

-The word "ferret" is derived from a Latin word for "thief."

-Ferrets are not legal in all localities; snip