How Did You Know You'd Found the Right Cat?

Old June 16th 04, 03:48 PM
lrulan

Welcome to the group, Melissa. Your stories show you are obviously a very
devoted cat slave g like all of us.
I bought Jazz from a pet store because my daughter wanted a kitty. He was
supposed to be 'her' cat, but he ended being 'my' master. Thank goodness,
because when my daughter moved out of the house to be on her own after
college she couldn't bring Jazz with her anyway. He tolerates me and I love
him
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Melissa Houle" wrote in message
om...
Hello fellow cat lovers,

I am a relatively new poster, here. However my cat loving credentials
are sound. I am the servant/human mother of Panther, a sixteen-year
old neutered male, and recently of Francesca, a seven month old brown
classic tabby female, soon to be spayed. Until late this March, I was
the slave of Isadora, a black and white spotted domestic short haired
female, now residing on the far side of the rainbow bridge.

So I've been wondering, when each of you went in search of your past
or present cats or cat family, what was it about the cat or kitten
that "clicked" the first time you met? How did you make the decision
about whom to adopt?

Briefly, my stories are as follows. Isadora was this little frightened
eight week old ball of fluff when I first met her at the animal
shelter in my town. She was so determined to get away from me, she
climbed the chain-link fence of the little play enclosure, and managed
to get herself wedged between the ceiling and the top of the fence,
and began to cry for help. When the shelter volunteer got her down
(they had to get the ladder), she handed Izzy to me and said, "now you
have to take that one." They were joking, but I actually did adopt her
a few days later, as I was afraid nobody else would. She repaid my
decision with fifteen years of excellent companionship, fun and love,
and was always a supberb cat, full of charm and personality. I still
miss her very much, although there's no doubt in my mind letting her
go was the merciful thing to do.

Pan, whom I adopted on the same day also at eight weeks old, was very
different--he climbed right into my lap and began to purr. G I
figured this was a kitten who knew what side his bread was buttered
on, so I took him. While Izzy was a little cobby persian type, Pan is
more of a long, elegant Siamese-Burmese type cat. He has the great big
Siamese ears, and he definitely has the voice. NOBODY can ignore this
cat when he's hungry. He's more shy and retiring with strangers,
although he's become braver and mellower with age.

After I had mourned Isadora for a while, I found myself thinking of
getting someone new. I know Pan won't live forever and I didn't want
to be left catless when the time comes to say goodbye to him. A friend
of mine owns a retired American Shorthaired classic brown tabby
showcat, who is a great friend of mine in his own right, as he has a
lot of charm and personality. Not to mention that he's a gorgeous,
gorgeous animal. Let me be clear, I definitely advocate finding and
adopting cats from the pound--That's how I've come by all three of my
cats in my adult life. However, I also think any show cat deserves a
happy, normal retirement as a beloved house cat. The life of a show
cat seems to be a very unnatural, unpleasant life for cats, as it
involves lots of traveling, being shut in cages,being poked and
prodded by judges and stared at by strangers in big, unfamiliar places
that must look and sound pretty scary to them.

To get back on track, I had secretly wanted a tabby of my own, so I
went to a few shelters, looking around for possible candidates. About
a month ago, I found Francesca, as pretty a classic tabby as you could
hope to find anywhere. She has a very sweet, gently pointy
aristocratic little face, and a beautifully marked coat. I do not
think she's a purebred anything, but I'm pretty sure she has
Abyssynian blood in her from somewhere. She is very affectionate and
will tolerate being held, although she prefers to be her own cat most
of the time.

So what are some other stories of finding the perfect cat?

Melissa

Old June 16th 04, 03:51 PM
Kreisleriana

On 15 Jun 2004 23:17:37 -0700, (Melissa Houle)
yodeled:

(snip)
So I've been wondering, when each of you went in search of your past
or present cats or cat family, what was it about the cat or kitten
that "clicked" the first time you met? How did you make the decision
about whom to adopt?

Mimi (RB)
I went to a shelter. I had an idea about what kind of cat I wanted--
I wanted an enormous, mushy, laid back cat, one who would love hugs
and cuddles.

When I got to the shelter, there were a few big boys, but they had
just had shots and they were sleeping it off, so I couldn't interact
with them and see what they were like.

Them my eye fell on a very pretty, fluffy little tabby girl. I asked
if I could hold her, and she promptly bit me. Back in the cage she
went.

Then I saw a very dainty little tuxedo girl, with neat little white
mittens. When I held her, she cuddled right up. That was it.

Of course, she was completely deceiving me-- she turned out to be a
total little tyrant. But she was my precious little girl and love
for fourteen years.

Stinky:
He was on the subway tracks. A man and I rescued him and I took him
home. I took him to the vet. I wasn't sure then that I was going to
do anything beyond the rescue. I already had Mimi, and she was very
much an only cat. But he was such a sweet little fella. The vet
staff was all crazy about him. He loved everybody. Everybody loved
him (except poor Mimi ). Although I loved Mimi, Stinky was a
completely different kind of cat. He turned out to be the cuddlebug I
had wanted in the first place. It was endlessly fascinating to see
how different two cats could be.

Theresa
My Blog:
http://www.humanitas.blogspot.com

Old June 16th 04, 04:26 PM
Pat

I've had dozens of cats but have only once went looking for one. That was
Minette, in Boston when I was a student. She was at the shelter, maybe 4-5
months old, a grey tabby with lots of white. I had walked slowly down the
row of cages and greeted every cat. She was the only one that got up from
the bed in the back of the cage and came to me and kissed me thru the cage
bars.

Old June 16th 04, 05:22 PM
jmcquown

Melissa Houle wrote:
Hello fellow cat lovers,

I am a relatively new poster, here. However my cat loving credentials
are sound.

(snip)
So what are some other stories of finding the perfect cat?

Melissa

Hi Melissa! You have more cat credentials that I do I've only been
owned by one cat in my life (so far) for the last 5 years. Persia. And I
didn't go find her; like so many others here, she found *me*. Here's the
abbreviated story:

On a cold afternoon in early January, 2001, a cat (adult) came crying at my
back door. What are you doing here? Go away! (I know, silly of me.) But
ask dusk fell and the temps dropped into the mid-20's and she wouldn't go
away, I started to worry. Gosh it's cold out there.

So I made a decision. I'll run to the store, pick up a litter box, litter
and cat food. If she's still there when I come back, I'll invite her
inside. She was and I did.

She hesitated when I opened the door, then realized she was, after all, a
cat. She strolled in and took a look around. In hindsight, I can hear the
wheels turning - yes, this looks like a nice place. I think I'll stay
And that night when I went to bed, I was completely surprised to find she'd
jumped up next to me on the bed and settled down for a nice snooze!

I did the usual try to find her owners stuff; even considered giving her
away. But after a couple of days of her loving antics, I was hooked. Took
her to the vet; got her checked and her shots. They told me she was about 2
years old, front declawed and spayed. She had no microchip (she does NOW!).
I've been enslaved ever since. You can see photos of my sweet Persia he

http://community.webshots.com/user/jmcquown

Jill