OT Central Heating

Old October 24th 04, 01:06 AM
SUQKRT

In article , Bob M
wrote:

bonbon wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:39:26 -0700, Rrb wrote:

Doe John wrote:
At what temperature do people start to turn on their central heating?
I normally wait til end of October when the daytime temp indoors is
around 55 degrees. Now it is around 57 degrees indoors in the
morning.Very cold. Catching colds constantly. I thought of turning

it
on a week ago when my cat would constanty climb on top of me because

was the best source of heat. I'm a walking elecrric blanket to
her.Feels colder now than in the past since I lost about 40 pounds
since last May.

This is the recommendation of our local electric company (though
according to them this is for energy efficiency while still keeping

it
at a comfortable temperature for most people):

The best temperature for your heater's thermostat is 68°F or below.
Before bedtime, turn it down to 55°F or lower (or even off) for more
savings. And if you don't want to wake up to a cold house, let a setback
thermostat turn the heat up an hour before you plan to wake up. If you
have a heat pump, raising and lowering the thermostat could cause the
electric heating strips to come on, significantly increasing your
heating costs.

Finally, thermostats should never be turned up high to heat a home in

hurry. It won't heat your home any faster.

Gosh, all this talk about heating, and thermostats! I'm starting to
wonder if all of Houston has been beamed into the Twilight Zone or
some other dimension..........I'm running my A/C at this very moment.

Ok. I just took a reality check. I went out and looked at the
electrical meter on the back of the house, and that kilowatt dial
thingy is spinning like crazy, so we must still be with y'all.
$$ Ka-chinnng $$ Ka-chinnng $$ Ka-chinnng.

Maybe Houston, with all the people, pavement, refineries, traffic,
chili cook-offs, and BBQ pits has created it's own little climate or
global warming effect and now we don't get winter anymore. (?)

-bonbon

The same way in Dallas righ tnow. I hate it! It was 92 degrees
yesterday and it's supposed to stay in the 90's the next 3 days. We have
a cold front moving in for the weekend which will drop the daytime highs
into the 80's. Oh boy! Anyone out there want to send me some of your
cooler weather? I'll take it in a heartbeat. I am seriously thinking of
moving North.

Bob

You want cool? We've got cool up here in Mass.. it was 43f this AM. I live in
an apartment and have arthritis so my thermostant stays around 70 when it
45-60f and 72 when its colder. During the day the heat doesn't run much.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old October 24th 04, 04:15 AM
Sherry

You want cool? We've got cool up here in Mass.. it was 43f this AM. I live in
an apartment and have arthritis so my thermostant stays around 70 when it
45-60f and 72 when its colder. During the day the heat doesn't run much.
Suz

We were *hot* today. Probably near 90 or above. Indian summer! I love it.

Sherry